Diablo® III

Inferno Act 2 Gear check

Seeing a monk with over 30k damage is very inspirational.

I have been on the resist ban wagon as well but i am trying to collect more LoH items. Keeping my APS around 1.9 even with a 1.2 spear.

Solo everything is great for Act1 butcher runs but when people come in, my damage just doesn't cut it.

18k damage with 670 dps spear.

I stack tons of dex and i am thinking that once i have enough LoH and get enough resist i can abandon MoH:Resist rune for MoC. Because i agree, damage is starting to help more with survival than going more defense.
Reply Quote
Graham, your monk has really good stats and I'd be interested in exchanging ideas and such.

Life on hit works well if you are geared up for resistances. Personally, with 48k hp, 750 res all, 37% dodge, 9k armor and 35% block chance i can tank most elites in A3 as long as it doesn't involve extended periods inside desecration or arcanebeams.

For this, 1350 life on hit is godsend.

I can see life on hit being useful if you can get a reasonable amount of it. Does it work off every hit (for example, if you have 1k life on hit, and use crippling wave that hits 4 targets, is that a 4k heal, or still just 1k)?

I can stand and tank a lot of the earlier packs in Act 3, but the later ones (post siegebreaker) still destroy me fairly quickly. I find that the type of mob I am facing is more detrimental than any particular affixes (for example, ranged mobs that run are generally frustrating, while slow melee mobs are usually easy).

I am slowly gearing towards more resistance, because my resists are currently low it works out more beneficial for me to raise them than to continue getting more armor (although I usually aim to do both). I think that with a better weapon, 40k unbuffed dps is a reasonable number to aim for and hit, and then things will be dying even faster. After that I may consider life on hit, although I'm not sure I really need it at the moment.

Are you running with a more dps-oriented setup, or staying with the more traditional mantra of evasion/deadly reach keen eye build?
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Graham
As an aside, I would suggest getting a lot of dex/armor instead of resistance at first, and then adding resistance later on (I did this, and completed Act 2 and most of Act 3 with less than 200 resistance to everything). The primary reason I suggest this is that Armor and Resistance do exactly the same thing (because armor mitigates all damage), and when buying gear from the AH, items with +armor on them are almost always bucketloads cheaper than items with all resistance.

Great tip, thank you :)
Reply Quote
40k HP
575 all resist with mantra and time of need rune
14.4k damage unbuffed
Just over 4k armour
0 life on hit (yep, 0)

Cleared act 2 up to belial in a single night. Belial died the next day. All of this was done solo.

I've spent under 1M on all my gear combined and the only reason I spent that much was I dropped 650k on an 835 DPS weapon with no stats a few days ago when they were that expensive.

Better resists, health, damage, armour and life on hit would have made it easier but don't listen to the guys saying you have to spend millions and you can only build one way.

Edit: to clarify, I didn't skip packs. I carried 5 stack of valor the entire act up until Belial. The only pack I skipped was fast, fire chains, shielding, jailer wasps. That pack was simply not possible with how much they were kiting me and all the clothesline firechains.
Edited by adecesar#1993 on 5/30/2012 10:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is getting so frustrating.
With buffs I have 7k armor 35k hp 18k dps and 750 res to all.
I'm still getting steam rolled by every ******* rare mob in act 2.
Reply Quote
40k HP
14.4k damage unbuffed
Just over 4k armour
0 life on hit (yep, 0)

Cleared act 2 up to belial in a single night. Belial died the next day. All of this was done solo.

I've spent under 1M on all my gear combined and the only reason I spent that much was I dropped 650k on an 835 DPS weapon with no stats a few days ago when they were that expensive.

Better resists, health, damage, armour and life on hit would have made it easier but don't listen to the guys saying you have to spend millions and you can only build one way.

Edit: to clarify, I didn't skip packs. I carried 5 stack of valor the entire act up until Belial. The only pack I skipped was fast, fire chains, shielding, jailer wasps. That pack was simply not possible with how much they were kiting me and all the clothesline firechains.

hey bro, so what skills combination did u use to clear act 2 of inferno? mind sharing? :D
Reply Quote
40k HP
14.4k damage unbuffed
Just over 4k armour
0 life on hit (yep, 0)

Its hard to believe you are not getting 1-2 hit deaths with that amount of armor and resist.
Reply Quote
40k HP
14.4k damage unbuffed
Just over 4k armour
0 life on hit (yep, 0)

hey bro, so what skills combination did u use to clear act 2 of inferno? mind sharing? :D

I used a pretty standard build.

BoH with the 15% damage for 45 second rune
Serenity with Ascension rune
Blinding Flash with the 30% damage rune
Mantra of Healing with Time of Need rune
Crippling Wave with Mangle rune
Deadly Reach with the 18% damage for 30s rune

Seize, resolve, OWE passives

Damage sits at 19k in combat with BoH and deadly reach buffs. Goes to 27k when I use blind. Crippling wave does a stupid amount of AoE damage, especially with all the buffs. I'm sure LoH and more resists would make it easier for me but I'm too cheap to drop 2M on a new weapon right now. Would rather try to snipe a cheap andariel's visage with a socket in it because that is my dream helm.
Reply Quote
Graham, your monk has really good stats and I'd be interested in exchanging ideas and such.

Life on hit works well if you are geared up for resistances. Personally, with 48k hp, 750 res all, 37% dodge, 9k armor and 35% block chance i can tank most elites in A3 as long as it doesn't involve extended periods inside desecration or arcanebeams.

For this, 1350 life on hit is godsend.

I can see life on hit being useful if you can get a reasonable amount of it. Does it work off every hit (for example, if you have 1k life on hit, and use crippling wave that hits 4 targets, is that a 4k heal, or still just 1k)?

I can stand and tank a lot of the earlier packs in Act 3, but the later ones (post siegebreaker) still destroy me fairly quickly. I find that the type of mob I am facing is more detrimental than any particular affixes (for example, ranged mobs that run are generally frustrating, while slow melee mobs are usually easy).

I am slowly gearing towards more resistance, because my resists are currently low it works out more beneficial for me to raise them than to continue getting more armor (although I usually aim to do both). I think that with a better weapon, 40k unbuffed dps is a reasonable number to aim for and hit, and then things will be dying even faster. After that I may consider life on hit, although I'm not sure I really need it at the moment.

Are you running with a more dps-oriented setup, or staying with the more traditional mantra of evasion/deadly reach keen eye build?

Life on hit works with AOES, and I can literally heal myself from 25% to around 60 on just an elitepack of 3 before the expiration date is due on serinity using Tsunami.

You may want to try Tempest rush to deal with kiting mobs - it is also really good for getting out of desecration and arcane beams.

Life on hit may not be for everyone, but I can tell you that I downgraded myself from a 975 dps sword with dex and vit to use a claw with 840 dps, ias and 950 life on hit and it made a world of difference. Naturally, my DPS is not the best, but considering my defensive abilities 21k unbuffed is pretty solid (it was 27k with the old sword, still running the same setup but no life on hit)

I'm running a defensive setup focused around migitating as much damage as possible, and kite while regaining health, while doing moderate amounts of dps. I also run two generators (tsunami and keen eye) and do not use breath of heaven or have any healing from serenity.

Best of luck.
Edited by Cavemandiary#2580 on 5/30/2012 10:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I farm act2 without a single resistance over 300.

I dont even think its possible to get 600-900 resists with other decent stats without act3/4 gear.
Reply Quote

Its hard to believe you are not getting 1-2 hit deaths with that amount of armor and resist.

I may have slightly over 4k armour, something like 4200 or 4300. I can't give you an exact number because I'm at work and can't check.

2-shot deaths were definitely a problem when I played sloppy or failed to dodge stuff or tried to facetank too many things for too long but I have a ranged attack I can kite with as well as 27k DPS with blind up followed by 19k DPS for 4s sitting in serenity. That's a boatload of time to kill stuff.
Reply Quote
@Graham: What wep are you using? Your dps is insane. I am currently blocked around the end of A2. I was pretty set on picking up life on hit + IAS to move forward... but the cost of the gear is just insane atm. I've got 4M to spend on upgrades and I'm trying to figure out how to place it. I think I like the Overawe style better..

My stats are;
35k life
560 all res
16k dps
45% dodge
8250 armor (w/ hard target)

Most champ packs past Magda can beat me up ;[
Edited by Logansolo#1406 on 5/30/2012 11:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just gear up more.

48k hp
750 all res
36% unbuffed dodge
35% block 4700 dmg
20k dps
1350 life on hit/2.1 attackspeed

I can comfortably solo A2, A3 is doable but extremely hard. So really, gear up more and use one with everything, and get yourself massive life on hit.

How do you get so much Life on Hit? can you Screenshot or tell me what items you have that give you Life on Hit? I can only find rings/ammys that have LoH and they are in the millions.

Right now thanks to the patch I cannot log on to bnet, but my claw has 940, and my amulet has 385. Rare with attackspeed, 840 dps - and Ouroboros, respectively. I'll put up some screens once i get to log in again.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:13 AMPosted by Kaaiser
Your resists are incredibly low for act two. You need to sit around 900 resist all either with time of need or without time of need if you want to use a different mantra. Increasing your armor and resists and you will see a huge difference in damage taken.

You don't need 900+ resist for A2. I can clear Belial with 5 stacks of NV and I sit at 310. I think it would be reasonable for the OP to aim for 300 resist all, 6.5k armor, 35% dodge, 18% block, 35k HP, all unbuffed.

Edit: Oh right, you probably want at least 14k dps to kill things before their enrage timer.
Edited by Assymptotic#1378 on 5/30/2012 11:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Assymptotic
Your resists are incredibly low for act two. You need to sit around 900 resist all either with time of need or without time of need if you want to use a different mantra. Increasing your armor and resists and you will see a huge difference in damage taken.

You don't need 900+ resist for A2. I can clear Belial with 5 stacks of NV and I sit at 310. I think it would be reasonable for the OP to aim for 300 resist all, 6.5k armor, 35% dodge, 18% block, 35k HP, all unbuffed.

Edit: Oh right, you probably want at least 14k dps to kill things before their enrage timer.

Would it be possible for you to share your battletag so i can look at your gear?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Replace Sweeping Wind, too much spirit and hard to maintain the 3 stack against elite pack when you have to run most of the time. Use Lashing Tail Kick for knock back or Seven-Sided Strike for the immunity+damage.
Reply Quote
As requested:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2nhi45z.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/29dbdcm.jpg
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]