Diablo® III

FPS - A Letter To Blizzard

(Locked)

[quote="52351436458"]
Honestly I think it is because the older computers run the old OS, and therefore didn't get an invite to Beta testing which would have been the best place to fix this coding problem. My wife had to upgrade to snow leopard before it would even install.

I was playing my 2009 MBP during the beta. There were tons of us reporting this same issue during the beta.
one thing i just did that helped my fps jump up was go into window mode and shrink the screen to go as small as it can, it runs flawlessly that way, if i make it any bigger than the smallest my fps does jump back down though
Yeah, my computer was slow. Then I followed the troubleshooting guide from blizzard. It was really useful and solved my problems!

-Satisfied customer :)
If you read the thread bud, I posted earlier that I played the beta, had this issue in the beta and posted about it. The same posting they have on the Mac technical forums was posted by Blizzard so that to me shows acknowledgment of the issue affections its Mac users. So it's not something they just found out 2 days ago, please do not be fooled by this spin.
Yeah, my computer was slow. Then I followed the troubleshooting guide from blizzard. It was really useful and solved my problems!

-Satisfied customer :)

I'm glad it worked for you, I followed the troubleshooting guide and did everything asked and I even added 6 gb of memory in my Mac and it didn't help.
Hey, I'm on

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Until today I was able to play smoothly (around 50fps) with default settings but now fps is down to 5! after few min of playing. Rebooting helps for a lil while then BAM slow motion frame speed.
As suggested I configured D3prefs.txt file, turned automatic graphics switching off, turned all settings to low and shadows off.. I'm running smc fan control changed to max speed so rpm wouldn't drop while I'm playing but non of these helped.
Looking forward to the optimization patched ASAP, thx
90 Draenei Shaman
I've been checking up on threads related to the 9400 fps problems, and I will patiently wait for a fix. I can hardly contain myself. I just want to play so bad and I'm green with envy at people who are able to play without any trouble.

I have been able to get my wizard to level 8 or so. Mine is set at 800x600 at the tiniest it would go in windowed mode and still only get 12-14 fps. Also I see a whole lot of fast fps fluctuation for 10-15 seconds at a time in some areas. Like I said I can get to lvl 8 or so until it becomes unplayable for me. I am also running with everything graphics wise set to low/off with low fx enabled. I tried everything else on the suggested troubleshoot page, and did manage to improve performance with my machine but not with the game itself :)

Throwing my specs onto the pile:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.45f0
Serial Number (system): xxxxxx
Hardware UUID: 8860156B-051C-5207-A279-19D0A75D15A8

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Device ID: 0x0867
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3379
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Display Connector:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Not Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 6:43

Its such a neat game, I feel so left out not being able to play. It has been a hard week for me IRL, and have looked forward to playing this as a kind of reward for making it through it all. Emotions are high, but I am going to be patient. So looking forward to a fix...
you'd think they would try the game on a mac somewhere between 2008'ish and now...
I got the macbook/9400m w the graphics all dumbed down and it played ok for the first few hours. Open areas ran good(10-15fps well...good for me) inside dungeons sent me down to around 5 fps. Super fast in town. The dungeon with all the fire sent me to a crawl. My friends w good pcs said I looked like I was really glitching out on their screens. I told them it was just part of my voodoo. Got to level 14 before I had to quit. I was surprised to see I could run the game on my mac when I checked, should of known it was too good to be true. The game is sweet tho.
05/19/2012 11:29 PMPosted by ghosTM55
Looking forward to the optimization patched ASAP, thx

TROLOLOLOLOL. yeah me too
@crinklyrappr: same here. The slow fps kind of sucks. I can't defeat the Skeleton King with my monk because of that. It feels like my character is drunk.
No trolling :

Are you still interested in playing D3 ? That's a serious question. While we waited for a week, softcore gamers already finished the inferno mode and looking at their vids it's just common build choices and gameplay strategies. Nothing special. What are we missing actually ? For now I miss $60 and monthes of theorycrafting which I enjoyed more than playing the real game. There are no facepalm pictures epic enough to express my mood. So much pretentiousness from Blizzard. "You will die we promise" - yeah for sure, at 9fps I'll die. You also promised that the 9400 would be fine.
Edited by redstone#2234 on 5/20/2012 6:44 AM PDT
It seems to me as though the inital response followed the lines of "Your hardware just isn't good enough, there's nothing we can do about it, er, try making sure you don't have a virus or something." which seemed rather dismissive. It's good to get confirmation that it is actually being reviewed.

I'll be the first to admit i'm pretty retarded when it comes to tech stuff, but when I can run the game in boot camped windows well at high settings, but get around 10 fps in OSX on the same machine I can't understand why it isn't considered a software issue.

I'm not angry, I'm extremely grateful to Blizzard for making such a fantastic game. I'd just like to know that this is being taken seriously.
I appreciate the reply, I also feel a little bit better about being able to play some time soon.

Even if the fix isn't immediate I will be happy.

Blizzard, please don't let us Mac customers down, we spent 60.00$ just like the PC people did.

Thank you

-Rob
I just purchased OX S Lion, it hasn't made that much of a difference, My latency is still through the roof and everything is in slow motion.

I can't do anything without getting lag/delay.

I'm up to the skeleton king but I can no longer even try to play because I die from lag.

Here are some specs that could potetially help you Blizzard

Processor : 2.26 GHz intel core 2 duo
Memory: 4gb 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Bus: PCI
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3427
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
I hate to be a downer but problems with the 9400 and 9600GT GUPs were noticed shortly after the release of steam for mac. Apple released an uppdate that failed to adress the problems and has since then made no further attempts at solving this problem.

My guess is that blizzard will find this to be an issue with the osx drivers and apple, true to form, will not invest time/effort in fixing older hardware.
55 Tauren Death Knight
Model Name: iMac
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Chipset Model: ATI,RadeonHD2600
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9583
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B2250F-219
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.219
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050

It's not just a 9400 or 9600 issue. I, and a slew of friends who play on Macs all experience these fps/slowed game play. Trying to do the quest right before killing the Seigebreaker on any difficulties = most painful experience EVAH in Act III. (It's the quest that sends you across the top of the fort thingy). Half the time it felt like some slow motion movie...All that fire and AE's just makes us want to take our mouse and stick them in our eyes. We've all tried various settings, checking and unchecking things. Editing text files. Nada.

Is this exclusively a Blizzard issue or Apple? I seem to recall an OS update around the time of Patch 16'ish in the Beta where gameplay suddenly tanked for everybody.
Edited by Mangroas#1381 on 5/20/2012 10:20 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]