Diablo® III

FPS - A Letter To Blizzard

(Locked)

I have the same issue with FPS. I closed the background programs and restarted the mac but still after playing 5 mins FPS drops to 5.

I installed the game on the bootcamp and I it works very fine without any FPS drop or lag. I changed all the setting to high and turned the antialliasing on. If you have a bootcamp don't bother yourself playing the mac version.

It is good that they released both mac and windows versions at the same time but this game is optimized for windows.

Mac Model:

Mid 2010
CPU: i7 2.66 GHz
Graphic: 330M
RAM: 8GB
OSx: Lion 10.7.4
windows: 7
05/20/2012 12:19 AMPosted by siXTyNiNe
If you read the thread bud, I posted earlier that I played the beta, had this issue in the beta and posted about it. The same posting they have on the Mac technical forums was posted by Blizzard so that to me shows acknowledgment of the issue affections its Mac users. So it's not something they just found out 2 days ago, please do not be fooled by this spin.

They've known they have serious coding issues for the Mac platform since 1.4.2 for SC2. Yet they've done nothing. What's scarier is that the same problem memory-leaking problem found its way into D3 -- from what I can tell, around patch 16. Their development team is at fault here.

Patch 16 is exactly when the issue started, it's weird that they have now deleted all those threads and I can't find them because they no longer exist.....
I hate to be a downer but problems with the 9400 and 9600GT GUPs were noticed shortly after the release of steam for mac. Apple released an uppdate that failed to adress the problems and has since then made no further attempts at solving this problem.

My guess is that blizzard will find this to be an issue with the osx drivers and apple, true to form, will not invest time/effort in fixing older hardware.

This is a coding problem from blizzard, this happened when patch 16 came out for the beta and since has not been addressed.

Stop making people think this is their macs that are the issue when it clearly isn't. You would think they would have test driven the game themselves after so many complaints from beta user and check the issue, yet they have done nothing other then sell you a game they knew did now work.

The response has been that they will have an update to what they are doing next week, there is no fix that is coming any time soon. I'm asking for a refund
strange how they haavent replied to a single thread about this issue in the last 48 hours. looks like there just going to leave us out to dry.
I had this issue too on my MBP but thankfully I had the extra better video card switched off. Turned it on, now I'm running everything on high. But with the 9400m, it was completely unplayable. I'm an environment artist for some pretty big games and big company (don't want to list). So believe me, I'm one of those that has to turn everything to high :), but before, when I was using the 9400m, I had to turn everything to the lowest settings and it was completely unplayable. Why even post then if my better card worked things out? Because my friend has a mac mini with the 9400m and he doesn't have the better card option I do. It effects me cause I want to play with him and he's hating every minute of this game because it's unplayable (you should see how slow he moves on my screen haha). This really needs to be fixed because it's a major critical bug.

And don't get your hopes up mac users. This will take a long time to fix. I had a nasty bug with SC2 that the game froze every 5 games or so. That didn't get fixed for over a year (many patches happened in between that). I was soo mad but at least it played. D3 is worse. There was a bug when catacalysm came out that froze the game if I flew into certain zones. That took months to fix. Sadly, they are understaffed as mac developers. I'm sure they'll fix it but it'll be Blizzard "soon."

I don't want to be a nay sayer so I want to help. Seems to me, as an environment artist, the LODs don't really reduce much. Sure, the textures reduce a little but the geo doesn't change much (a tiny bit). Keep it on high for those that can run it but if these were my levels, I would completely rip this down in the low and medium LODs if I knew it ran like this. Aren't Windows users having the same FPS issues on lower PCs? The low looks like a Medium LOD version. The LODs barely change at all. Did the Mac not get lower LODs or is this true for PC users too? To be honest, the only huge difference I see from high and then switching everything to low 800 rez, is I can barely read the text my friend types and things are a "little" more blurry. That's it! There should be some huge reductions going from high to low in textures and geo. I must point this out cause it REALLY is unplayable at 8 FPS. Sure there is a huge bug on the programming side for the 9400m but the LODs is a HUGE issue too. This game is about speed... It's unplayable at the 9400m. If I can help in any way, as an environment senior artist please let me know how I can. If they do decide to lower the detail in the lower and medium LODs (which I suspect is a large chunk of the problem), this will take months to fix. Not to sound lame but I could do it in 2 weeks :). Have you guys at Blizzard tried it on the 9400m? I think you'd punch a hole throw the screen in anger haha. Good luck and hope you fix this ASAP. Seems like a LOT of people are reporting this.
This game is poorly optimized regardless. I have an i7-2600k @ 4.5ghz, 16GB of RAM, and a HD Radeon 6870 1GB and get lag on the Mac version (I use Hackintosh). A 6870 can EASILY max this game in Windows with FPS that will tear your monitor (well over 120 without a problem, on highest settings).
I am also running the 9400 and have the same fps issues. I bumped everything as low as I can get it and even have the game windowed on 800x600. Most areas I have 15 fps which is somewhat playable. I see 30 fps in 2 areas in the whole game.. All of act4 I get 10 fps as well as anywhere with background stuff. I did manage to complete normal pushing through 10 fps. Wasnt fun but I hope they find some fix b4 I hit act4 NM
I really only have FPS issues when I am in a map outside.
Leroy Jenkins would not put up with this. The FPS would be unbearable to him.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There is definitely an FPS issue. If you guys noticed, even on menus.. the FPS is very low. For instance when I type my password in, there is noticeable lag in the digits that appear when I type them.
So many years in the making...did they even test this on a MAC?!
I stopped playing on my mac (macbook pro 2010), the FPS was really unbearable
now happily playing on bootcamp, till now doesn't have issues.

everything on High. FPS averagely on 30+.
thanks for the reply! you might want to sticky this, since fps threads are becoming increasingly popular. it would let people know you're looking into it. I don't get why the beta ran perfectly fine at native resolution with everything maxed, but now, i have to play it dumbed down. it's still a fun !@# game. but, fun $%^ games with with better graphics are even better.
Just wanted to let you know that i have similar issues as mentioned above. Huge framedrops mostly in 'open areas' with a lot of fancy 3d background stuff. Would be cool if in graphics menu, these features could be turned off completely (or, maybe you have a better solution).

My setup:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3385
Displays:
85 Human Rogue
Okay, FROM THE TOP! So I was more excited than ever May 15th 2012 for the D3 release! After being a Diablo fan for years, and eager to change over from World Of Kiddcraft, nothing could stop me from defeating the Lord of Terror, right? WRONG. Error Messages,severe latency problems, and now, because I own a MacbookPRO, you are going to take my joy out of this game? My gameplay is a joke, My character is playing DIABLOMATRIX SLOW MOTION. Oh, Blizzard FINALLY adresses the problem, and has NOTHING to show days later, May 21, 2012. I too have this feeling in my stomach about what Blizzard has done. I call support today, and they say that its a small percentage of players who have this, at least its not a large percentage. HEY, !@#$%^-S, PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE WITH A MAC NOW CANT PLAY YOUR GAME! Took off a few days from work, and took a bunch of lip from my fiance to play your dumb fu****king game and you screw it up. WOW subscription-Canceled.Diablo 3 being sent back to you for my 60 dollars back. *Spits on blizzard, and all its unintelligent customer service representatives I have talked to over the past 6 years.*
05/21/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Britneyshane
Okay, FROM THE TOP! So I was more excited than ever May 15th 2012 for the D3 release! After being a Diablo fan for years, and eager to change over from World Of Kiddcraft, nothing could stop me from defeating the Lord of Terror, right? WRONG. Error Messages,severe latency problems, and now, because I own a MacbookPRO, you are going to take my joy out of this game? My gameplay is a joke, My character is playing DIABLOMATRIX SLOW MOTION. Oh, Blizzard FINALLY adresses the problem, and has NOTHING to show days later, May 21, 2012. I too have this feeling in my stomach about what Blizzard has done. I call support today, and they say that its a small percentage of players who have this, at least its not a large percentage. HEY, !@#$%^-S, PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE WITH A MAC NOW CANT PLAY YOUR GAME! Took off a few days from work, and took a bunch of lip from my fiance to play your dumb fu****king game and you screw it up. WOW subscription-Canceled.Diablo 3 being sent back to you for my 60 dollars back. *Spits on blizzard, and all its unintelligent customer service representatives I have talked to over the past 6 years.*

Lol if you returned it, why are you still here?

I'm happy to see the frustrated customers coming together with the Blue guys to get them the info they need to fix the problems. Also, people are finding more and more ways to fix some of the minor problems and temporary fixes for the major FPS problems
85 Human Rogue
I love the game man, I am waiting 1 week for a fix/patch, or Im calling it quits.
05/16/2012 11:09 PMPosted by Omega
(btw i get good performance on my mac pro, i'm just curious though)

omega does your macbook pro have the AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5 or the 1GB version?
my thoughts were that the 9400 and any other card with less then that are going to suffer
I've seen complaints about the Intel HD Graphics 3000(345MB) card as well
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]