Diablo® III

FPS - A Letter To Blizzard

(Locked)

05/20/2012 05:27 PMPosted by Kudles
I really only have FPS issues when I am in a map outside.

I'm playing on a 2010 iMac with a 9400 graphics card and it seems like a similar case for me. The main exception would be alot of the outdoor areas in act 2 that I get pretty decent fps in. I'm 3/4 of the way through nightmare and it seems to me like I usually get bad fps in large open areas. Especially areas where you are on a high level and can see the vastness below you. Although in areas that are close quarters like tight dungeons and buildings my fps is fine. I'm sure blizzard could fix most fps issues just with better optimizations as long as they put in the time and effort. I'm grateful that the game is at least 70% playable for me, but there really is no reason they shouldn't fix this. I'd enjoy the game sooooo much more if I wasn't in slow motion half the time. I really don't know how I've managed to get as far I have with my low fps. However Inferno is practically out of the question for most mac users until they fix this.
My MacBook Pro plays Diablo 3 just fine.

Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Core i7
8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
1GB Radeon 6750M
Mac OS X 10.7.4

My fps usually sits around 30fps no matter what area I'm in. Except in indoor areas, it then goes up to anywhere from 40-70fps. I did have some issues after beta patch 16 was released though. My fps was limited to around 10-15 when that came out. I stopped playing the Mac version of the beta after that. When the retail release came, I tried out the Mac client (for !@#$s and giggles) and was pleasantly surprised to find it ran well.

I have it at 1600x900 (external monitor) because 1920x1080 is messed up in all blizzard games for me. All settings at high except for shadows at medium; vsync: off, anti-aliasing: off.

I heard that Apple had apparently updated a bunch of video drivers in the 10.7.4 update. So that might be a factor.

EDIT: Number of enemies on the screen doesn't seem to affect anything. I currently have a lvl 42 demon hunter in Act 2 on Nightmare.
Edited by Icy1007#1247 on 5/21/2012 11:09 PM PDT
I am more disgusted by the fact that it's a known issue but Blizzard doesn't revise the min spec requirements for MAC to prevent more unhappy MAC customers.

Granted most people hanging out here have already bought the game, but there are still people out there blithely downloading the game or thinking about doing so.

Blizzard, since I have already downloaded the game via digital purchase, I know that any chance of getting a refund is next to zero. However, I hope you'll do your own reputation a favor by updating the specs page for the sake of potential customers. Otherwise, we really are just being ripped off.

Also, an update on possible causes or progress made (if any) on this issue will be great.
Well, I've actually had my Mac for a little over a year and three months, but I get your point. Maybe if Blizzard figures out some way of increasing performance for older macs, my performance will go up. :) 
I have a late-2007 iMac, with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600, C2D @ 2.4GHz, 5GB RAM.
Naturally, I didn't expect a great performance from a 5-year-old "budget" card, and it's listed under "low performance" on Blizzard's "Supported Video Cards" page for Diablo III.

When I first played the game during the open beta, I noticed the fps were really low, especially on more populated areas. I turned everything down to "low", shadows off, and the performance was still very low. Not to the point of being unplayable, but very, very low.

I still bought the game on release day, hoping that Blizzard would have optimized the game by the time it hit gold.

NOPE... They didn't.

Then I decided to install the game on my Boot Camp partition (with Windows 7 x64) and to my suprise, it ran just fine, with the textures on "High", and with the Low FX option disabled. Which, in my book, is very acceptable for this specific graphics card.
So what I understand from all this is that it's not exlusively the 9400's fault (since my card is not even from Nvidia), it's a matter of the OS X version's optimization.

I really hope you guys will soon find a way around this, because, as all the other guys here said, as a Mac user I paid full price for the game, just like Windows users, and I think we're entitled to an equal experience.
I love how they just keep saying they are "looking into it" without compromising to fix it or even letting us know that they know there IS a problem.

To me, thats a clear sign that says "we got more important !@#$ to deal with".
Don't forget to submit a ticket! We may not be able to do much right now but the little things can help. Especially since by the looks of it many of us aren't playing (unless you have bootcamp) *shrug.
I have a late-2007 iMac, with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600, C2D @ 2.4GHz, 5GB RAM.
Naturally, I didn't expect a great performance from a 5-year-old "budget" card, and it's listed under "low performance" on Blizzard's "Supported Video Cards" page for Diablo III.

When I first played the game during the open beta, I noticed the fps were really low, especially on more populated areas. I turned everything down to "low", shadows off, and the performance was still very low. Not to the point of being unplayable, but very, very low.

I still bought the game on release day, hoping that Blizzard would have optimized the game by the time it hit gold.

NOPE... They didn't.

Then I decided to install the game on my Boot Camp partition (with Windows 7 x64) and to my suprise, it ran just fine, with the textures on "High", and with the Low FX option disabled. Which, in my book, is very acceptable for this specific graphics card.
So what I understand from all this is that it's not exlusively the 9400's fault (since my card is not even from Nvidia), it's a matter of the OS X version's optimization.

I really hope you guys will soon find a way around this, because, as all the other guys here said, as a Mac user I paid full price for the game, just like Windows users, and I think we're entitled to an equal experience.

What resolution are you running at?
05/22/2012 07:56 AMPosted by Pinolious
I love how they just keep saying they are "looking into it" without compromising to fix it or even letting us know that they know there IS a problem.

they said in this thread that they know there is a problem…

you gotta give them a lil time. i am bummed too… but… its not like they are doing nothing.

its a bummer all my friends are playing but a couple of us… but its not a huge deal. it'd be a freak out session if they said that 9400 was coming off the list of supported cards and that we could not play w/o buying a new comp… eesh…

but thats not whats happening…

its all gonna be ok… go troll some HoN games. it will make you feel better.
since sounds like no hope, i finally refunded my Mac machine. i'm going to buy a much cheaper PC ...
26 Human Warrior
The worst thing is they said it was not "optimized" and they are "opyimizing it" "soon" or "in the near future"....This game has been out for almost a week, it should have been optimized in beta! You do not release an unoptimized game....
05/22/2012 01:02 PMPosted by Arshaad
The worst thing is they said it was not "optimized" and they are "opyimizing it" "soon" or "in the near future"....This game has been out for almost a week, it should have been optimized in beta! You do not release an unoptimized game....

not trying to defend them (especially since I have a macbook pro with crappy low FPS), but I noticed a difference between beta and retail version : beta would cook my CPU up to 90° celcius, now with retail it stays at a decent 75°. So, I have hope that they'll fix the FPS issue…
20-30 fps on a late 2011 15" MBP seems pretty bad to me (i7 2.4, 8GB RAM, 6770M)

There is almost no difference between everything set to max and everything set to min.

I would expect a lower resolution with everything on low to be a much higher framerate.

There is clearly some issue going on here.
this IS against the law. They said the 9400 was supported, it obviously is not. Anyone who wants to get their money back is completely entitled to do so. If this isn't fixed soon I will be demanding a full refund and anyone else that owns a mac should do the same.
I have a 2011 iMac.

When I started experiencing a drop in FPS, I turned off all shadows.

The game now runs smoothly with the other graphics settings set to max. Running at 2560x1440 resoltuion.

Try it, might work for you too.
Everyone make a ticket if you haven't, did mine the other day.
Support Forum Agent
We are working on some optimization updates for the 9400M and other Mac graphic cards/chipsets.

If you have not had a chance to read the sticky that we posted yesterday, please take a moment to do so.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5151270034
05/23/2012 04:41 PMPosted by Machkhan
We are working on some optimization updates for the 9400M and other Mac graphic cards/chipsets.

thank you so much for letting us know :)
05/22/2012 04:17 PMPosted by eeldare
this IS against the law. They said the 9400 was supported, it obviously is not. Anyone who wants to get their money back is completely entitled to do so. If this isn't fixed soon I will be demanding a full refund and anyone else that owns a mac should do the same.

technically… it is supported… just not past the 3rd min of play.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]