Diablo® III

At the risk of sounding like a noob...

FYI: I played D1, D2 and D2:LOD successfully.

My WD is lvl 16 in all blue/yellow gear. My son, who plays a BARB, can charge in and take on 6-8 mobs and at worst, get down to half life. Me on the other hand, die at the hands of 2 or more.

The problem seems to be that by the time I get any aggro, my hands are already down on the group he's fighting, and my hounds are over there as well. So, when I do get aggro, I am nearly defenseless.

I could swap totem for shield, but that's a minor mitigation. What I'd like to know is, what are the stat priorities for WD? I've been piling int, with a little mf and xp. But unlike D2, where vit was the thing, I haven't any. Should I swap out my gear?

How does anybody ever use the aoe soul harvest if they can't survive in a pack long enough to drop it and run?
Reply Quote
drop grasping arms or whatever first. as a WD slow is essential to me, or i get overwhelmed as well (im not too far in , act 2)

i spam my aoe slow on everything
Edited by Sloth#1604 on 5/17/2012 10:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
It sounds like your health is really low... what build are you using? the witch doctor from what I have seen is not a front line fighter until higher levels. He needs the snares and the slows and fears to live... Make sure your using soul harvest it greatly boosts your damage out put...
Reply Quote
You want int first, but if you're dying a lot get more vit then str.
You might want to check your defense as well.
Reply Quote
Dire Bats. They alone will wipe out mobs quickly, and if you get off a 5 stack SH they will annihilate those mobs. Also, look into grabbing something like Horrify to use if you get surrounded with no protection.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Kaizon
It sounds like your health is really low... what build are you using? the witch doctor from what I have seen is not a front line fighter until higher levels. He needs the snares and the slows and fears to live... Make sure your using soul harvest it greatly boosts your damage out put...

The thing about soul harvest (as I mentioned) is that I try to stay at range. I can't get close enough to packs to use it without risking death to begin with.
Reply Quote
aoe slow, i runed it with groping eels early on, then just spam splinter rune poison dart. soul harvest really helps, especially if you need the healing, you can rune it for heals. and when you get haunt stuff really starts to take off. just keep at it, but always drop your aoe slow ability. it helps a ton.
Reply Quote
Just like posters above me have said. Int is good, but don't do just for Int, get some Vit and it never hurts for some extra Str for that little boost to armour. Personally i've been using a shield for awhile now but that's just me. Although at lower levels, SH is definitely going to be essential to helping you kill mobs fast.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 10:15 AMPosted by XenoCide78
Dire Bats. They alone will wipe out mobs quickly, and if you get off a 5 stack SH they will annihilate those mobs. Also, look into grabbing something like Horrify to use if you get surrounded with no protection.

Good suggestion!
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Metaphasic
The thing about soul harvest (as I mentioned) is that I try to stay at range. I can't get close enough to packs to use it without risking death to begin with.

Use spirit walk to run in and SH for 3-5 stacks then run back out and lay down some fire. Your minions should be able to tank/distract while you do this.
Reply Quote
Barb gets a passive 30% damage reduction so he will always take less damage. With WD the idea is to not let anyone hit you. Grasp or Dogs will do the job.
Reply Quote
Yes, Witch Doctors are not Barbarians. We dont go melee and go toe-to-toe with mobs.

We are range class. We pwn mobs from a distance. So what we do is we slow/snare/kite our mobs while we kill them.

Mobs dont usually go to me. They are usually being distracted by my dogs/Templar who tanks for me. But sometimes my tanks fail or getting pwned early requiring me to use slow spells while I wait until my resummoning button is available again.

I had problems with my tanks when I started Act 2. Those wasps kill my dogs so fast. But when I got my Gargantuan Zombie, my fights became smooth.
Reply Quote
Gargantuan helps TONS. The beginning of Act 2 was really rough for me, but getting that 6th skill slot + Garg+ Act 2 gear helped enormously.
My suggestions:
    +Vitality gear- Int adds damage, but you can't damage if you're dead or constantly running around to try and survive.
    Off-hand shield- Adds the much needed armor, and if you're lucky you can find one with Int or Vit.
    Use the Templar- He has a taunt, charge, stun (I think?), basically everything you'd want in a tank. Learn to love.
    GotD+SW - It took me a while to learn how to use them properly, but combining them gives you enormous kiting potential, PLUS, you can SW-> health globe -> health globe -> all better!

Just some ideas. Good luck!
Reply Quote
Thanks all. I just finished Act II, with my with son. We're leveling coop, so we can't use followers. I realized from the start the WD was a ranged class. I guess I just hadn't gotten a real feel for it yet.

Now, with Gargantuan around, things are going a lot smoother. But rather than SW/SH, I will usually Grasp the largest group (usually fighting my son's toon), toss some spiders (leaping, for more aoe. queen is nice, but we need more coverage). Then I can pick off straglers, or those coming after me by kiting using slow dart.

I got a few gear upgrades as well and things are starting to come together for me. The thing is, my reaction time is a little slow due to a stroke a few years ago, and the fewer things I have to mash, the better.

Thanks again.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Metaphasic

no risk no reward, I run into massive packs of agro solo and in group just for the 5 stack and i dont need to run out as everything dies that's near me and my bats. I do this to see how many killing blows I can get or how many monster kills I can stack up. It fun
Reply Quote
Honestly at the lower levels, I don't think the WD shines. Wait till you get past level 20+ and you really start to melt things.

And about the WD not being a up-close-and-personal type, I disagree. At the lower levels it's not wise to get close to mobs without spirit walk/mass confusion/ect.. But my WD is in nightmare Act1 currently lvl 32, and I always get smack dab in the middle of the chaos and I annihalate everything. I have consistantly out-damaged my fellow party members including monks, wizards and demon hunters. Spiritwalk, Run into crowd, Soul Harvest (While still in the spirit realm), then I useually drop a Grasp of the Dead (Just because I can't see sh1t with all the others characters spamming spells, and GotD actually shows you where the enemies are with a little "snaired" text above each of their heads) to slow thier movement, Then it's either spam Zombie Chargers/Dire Bats/Acid Cloud/or even exploding fire toads, depending on my mood I change nuke spells.

If it's too nasty up in their, I just chug a super health pot and retreat while the Gargantuan keeps em off me. Then I can splinter darts from a safe distance. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this style to Hardcore mode though, because you will die in various random situations in nightmare (Omg, those Arcane Sentries are NASTY!).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]