Diablo® III

Too many Weak skills that WD have

I'm only level 20, but I'm having few problems with my dogs. This is my build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#beYZfT!Zc!aaaaa

Do my dogs die? Sometimes, but I'm hardly helpless when dogs are on cool-down, and it's rare they die that fast anyway.

I do agree there are some under-performing skills. Locusts, for example seems way too short ranged to compare favorably to haunt, which costs less, ignores most terrain, and lasts longer.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
IDC
The dogs have a one minute cooldown, and thus aren't intended to be permanent pets that some people seem to want to view them as.

They aren't supposed to be damage dealers; they aren't supposed to be a set of 3-4 extra tanks that don't die. They do exactly as they are slotted -- Defensive.

You just had a big fight and most of your dogs died? Well imagine those mobs hitting you instead of your dogs. Either way, BFD just resummon them and you'll have new fresh ones to work with.

i agree with your first statement.....not the other two though

i let the dogs out, because of their stupid AI, they walk into aoes and die in 3s and i am left with 57s for another cast. I doubt i would have walked into a mob thats doing a whirlwind attack myself but oh wells.......

So i let the dogs out again(nightmare act 4). They die in usually at about 15s mark leaving me with 45s cd....the gargantuan lasted me way beyond its resummon timer though. Huge gap.

Anyhow, they aren't working as tanks, they don't deal damage either, if they are meant as the emergency meatshields that i am using them as currently, i am hoping they actually perform that role well....(eg. summon dogs for a 10s duration, they cannot be killed and occasionally taunts....60s cd....)
Reply Quote
as you wish, if i remember its something like this
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cZUjQP!XWU!aZaaaZ
switch direbats to hungry bats, and some other adjustments to runes during boss fights (like the increase damage taken rune)

Wow. Now I really can't take you seriously. Your most effective DMG output looks like Mass Confusion. I'm guessing you spend like 85% of the time running away from stuff, waiting for your "reduced" CDs.

I sincerley challenge you to a duel against my WD when PvP goes live.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aidURT!YWe!bZcYaZ
Reply Quote
The dogs have a one minute cooldown, and thus aren't intended to be permanent pets that some people seem to want to view them as.

They aren't supposed to be damage dealers; they aren't supposed to be a set of 3-4 extra tanks that don't die. They do exactly as they are slotted -- Defensive.

You just had a big fight and most of your dogs died? Well imagine those mobs hitting you instead of your dogs. Either way, BFD just resummon them and you'll have new fresh ones to work with.

I don't mind resummoning the dogs but which pet is a good "dps" pet? It seems like Fetich Army does a lot more damage but they aren't permanent right?
Reply Quote
i pretty much feel the same way - right now - about the WD

seems like in d2 - the more you progressed within the skills - the more dmg you were able to do

the wd seems to be all over the place -
frogs and spiders only work well >10
dogs are more of a distraction to enemies
dire bats dominate
arcane dmg does do crap
splinter dart - i was hoping to get away from this but besides dire bats the only effective skill for dmg
the rest of the skills i have yet to find anything that creates a good amount of dmg - yet
Reply Quote
I would DEF AGREE
Reply Quote
To anyone who is having issues with the dogs, have you tried using Rabid Dogs with the Bad Medicine and Jungle Fortitude passives? Even if the dogs die in 15 seconds, they still make everything they hit do 20% less damage for 15 seconds. I agree, it's not particularly overwhelming as an "oh crap" button but it certainly has a degree of effectiveness that one could argue is deserving of a skill slot. Keep in mind that not every skill is going to be universally useful. Some skills work better with certain builds.
Reply Quote
I like using direbats and a fire frogs as main dps
Reply Quote
I'm in Nightmare using Dogs with no issues at all with their survivability, as well as avoiding Dire Bats and Soul Harvest.

I keep one skill slot open to swap in various new runed abilties, and its been enjoyable that way.

How are your dogs surviving? Any time I've tried to use dogs they've lasted about 1-2 packs of monsters then died. Gargantuan on the other hand can tank large chunks of an entire Act without ever dieing for me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]