Diablo® III

Thank you for making gems useless

(Locked)

Dear Blizzard,

Thanks for making gems near useless. You made sockets take up 1 affix and no way to add sockets with artisans. Then you cleverly added affixes on items that add 100+ of a single stat while gems at their best add half that. Go ahead and call me wrong fanbois. But in 2 months you'll see that I spoke the truth. Keep reducing the "complexity" of the game, cause that's OBVIOUSLY what made diablo 2 such a success.
Well I am finding gems to be quite helpful. I got a rare bow today with a socket in it and it had 42ish damage. I added a Emerald to it and it was 66 dps then. I think they are really useful.
Sky, you didn't understand his post.

Gem slots take one affix slot, so if you get gems, and you could have had massive stats, you would rather have the stats, always. Gems dont do enough.
Biggest problem here is, when you take the gems out.. they don't break or even have a chance to break.. This means in say 6 months, gems will be one of the cheapest and abundant materials around and there will be a major surplus of them.
one of 2 things will happen. Either they allow us to add sockets without it counting as an affix, which is something perfectly reasonable for the jeweler to do and sounds like sheer laziness and oops i forgot to add it for release to be honest. Otherwise, gems will just be another useless feature of the game. Pretty much the game has been simplified from d2 to find yellow item, identify, hope it's better than your blue that you picked up off the vendor, 99.5/100 times it's not, rinse and repeat. Sad.
That's not the problem at all. Lacking any purpose overall, that's a problem.

O have well over 8 Radiant gems in my box, that can not do anything. Why? Lack of slots.

Though gems were useless in D2 as well after a small bit of time, maybe this follows suit.
05/18/2012 09:24 PMPosted by LesGrossman
Biggest problem here is, when you take the gems out.. they don't break or even have a chance to break.. This means in say 6 months, gems will be one of the cheapest and abundant materials around and there will be a major surplus of them.

Uhh....maybe you should read more about the game before you make such claims.

That is the entire reason that there is what, 16 tiers of gems in game? All the way up to a radiant star?

You can't even find the last 6 or 7 tiers or whatever of gems, you have to craft them. Sure, perfect and radiant gems will be common in a few months, but the highest quality of gems will still be fairly rare.
Where does this myth that D2 was so complicated come from?

I don't understand. It's not helping your argument. Do you think none of us played Diablo 2? lol
05/18/2012 09:24 PMPosted by LesGrossman

i thought this and often wonder what there going to do, cause them to break and up stats on them?
It seems strange that this game was under development for so many years and they didn't work out a logical system for gems. It also seems strange to me that blue items are often superior (even far superior) to yellows. I've heard this trend continues with legendaries as well. What was blizzard thinking? Could they really have botched itemization this badly?
05/18/2012 09:37 PMPosted by StarDweller
It seems strange that this game was under development for so many years and they didn't work out a logical system for gems. It also seems strange to me that blue items are often superior (even far superior) to yellows. I've heard this trend continues with legendaries as well. What was blizzard thinking? Could they really have botched itemization this badly?

Go on the AH right now and look up the Buriza-do-kyanon, now compare that weapon to any other level 40 rare. Point being, you don't know what you're talking about. You're just parroting what other whiners who hate thinking are spouting. Item system is fine, you're just not farming for one single OP item (out of millions) for 1000 hours anymore.
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 5/18/2012 9:40 PM PDT
Dear Blizzard,

Thanks for making gems near useless. You made sockets take up 1 affix and no way to add sockets with artisans. Then you cleverly added affixes on items that add 100+ of a single stat while gems at their best add half that. Go ahead and call me wrong fanbois. But in 2 months you'll see that I spoke the truth. Keep reducing the "complexity" of the game, cause that's OBVIOUSLY what made diablo 2 such a success.

They've given us a fair, but debatable reason they didn't allow additions of sockets on items.

Socketing was a feature that was in the game very early on, but ultimately it didn't end up enhancing the play experience as we had hoped. Instead it just kind of felt like a chore. It's a really good feeling to see an upgrade drop, equip it, and keep moving on. When adding sockets to items was inserted into that equation, it made it feel mandatory to return to town every time an upgrade dropped to pull the gem from your current item, add a socket to the new one, and carry your gem forward. There's already a little bit of this in Diablo III with gems, but the fact that you can make a choice in most situations on whether or not to use a socketed item makes a big difference. As another consequence, the ability to add sockets made the random rolling of a socket as an item affix feel kind of crappy. And given the way items and stats are generated in this game anyway–you’ll virtually never get the same item with the same stats twice–we don’t currently feel there’s a major lack of customization depth.

Adding complexity to systems isn't a problem for us, but it has to enhance the gameplay, not add to it an element of tedium just for the sake of intricacy. Ultimately this is why adding sockets was pulled. Now, if we feel down the road that the item game needs some new flair, we'll absolutely consider additional customization features (such as enchanting or socketing). But we have to make sure they're designed in such a way that the game is enriched through the added complexity, without creating a convoluted item system that detracts from the initial excitement you feel when you get an epic new weapon or piece of gear.
This game has a lot of issues with items, item mods, etc, so its hard to sit here and debate about one specific thing such as gems when there are so many other problems to fix. : / Honestly.

What happened to like, special ability uniques like in D2. This game has legendary items, but they are just maybe slightly better item mods as rares, whered the unique abilities go? wtf...
Edited by fallengod#1475 on 5/18/2012 10:23 PM PDT
90 Troll Hunter
This also causes an issue with rings and ammys spawning with just a single socket on them (nothing else). Basically a level 50 ring is equal to a level 10 ring (both items only have 1 socket and no other affixes) with the only difference being the level requirement.
Well perhaps the one saving grace is that you could probably have BOTH the +100 affix AND the socket on top of that for even more core stats.

Yet, I think the OP has a really really good point; if both a socket and a stat mod take up one affix, and the stat mod goes up to 100 at the very least, but the gem socket only goes up to like 50'ish, what in the world is the point of the socket? How is the socket giving you more choice?
Gems allow you to customize an item to better suit your toon's build. It's like a wild-card slot for stats that may not be as strong as a related affix, but you can choose what that stat will be.

I'm kind of glad that you can break gems out without needing to bust the item, and vice versa. Gem hording was the worst thing ever. You just filled up your stash with bajillions of gems you never used because you were saving them for good items in later difficulties. It was such a dumb system. They did the same thing in Titan Quest and Torchlight, to the same dumb effect. It was worse in Titan Quest because they had 2 different types of gem classes, each with dozens of gem types. And then, entirely new sets of them for each difficulty level. The whole system is dumb and requires so much tedious time moving gems around via mules and filling up precious inventory space.

I like that I can find a gem and put it into an empty socket right away.

That all being said, I wouldn't mind if they added the ability to socket an item, but I don't want them to make it so that naturally occurring sockets don't count toward affix limits UNLESS there is already a way to add sockets. Without that system, amazing gear becomes worthless. Got a sweet rare? GJ, now go farm for it again with the same stats and sockets, because it just won't be perfect otherwise.
I find it useful... Often vital to my survival even. :/ Don't see what your problem is.
85 Human Warrior
Sky, you didn't understand his post.

Gem slots take one affix slot, so if you get gems, and you could have had massive stats, you would rather have the stats, always. Gems dont do enough.

Some affixs are small? That's more of a question because maybe that explains it. Also, many times there are decent items in the auction house with a wasted stat. If you had the socket instead of the stat, you'd be better off. This may not be the very best weapon in the game granted, but I can be very good and getter than those items with completely wasted stats that you might otherwise settle for.

Then, when people get the best weapons in the game, they will probably improve the gems somehow with a patch.
Edited by Hötdög#1550 on 5/18/2012 10:46 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]