Diablo® III

Thank you for making gems useless

(Locked)

Community Manager
As items can't roll two of the same stat (although hybrid affixes can overlap) a socket allows you to stack more of a specific stat. So even if you reach the upper limit of a specific stat on an item, with a socket you can overcome that limitation. Want to really stack VIT? Even if you're hitting an upper limit of just straight affixes rolling on an item, you can add more VIT if the item has sockets.

Oh... and regardless of how many sockets you have, it only counts as a single affix. If an item rolls up 2 or 3 sockets, that still only accounts for a single affix spot on the item. An item rolling up sockets can absolutely be better than affixes.
Edited by Bashiok on 5/19/2012 1:33 PM PDT
MVP
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh... and regardless of how many sockets you have it only counts as a single affix. If an item rolls up 2 or 3 sockets, that still only accounts for a single affix spot on the item. With high level gems, sockets can be very directly better than affixes.

Forgive me for the question (I'm not familiar very much with the Diablo Series), but how does that work with putting different gems in the sockets, such as 2 Dex and 1 Vit? How does it treat all three sockets as one affix if there are two different gems in it? Why does that matter in the bigger picture?

I think I'm confusing myself :( I just don't understand as well :(
Edited by Practical#1393 on 5/19/2012 1:34 PM PDT
Community Manager
05/19/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Practical
Oh... and regardless of how many sockets you have it only counts as a single affix. If an item rolls up 2 or 3 sockets, that still only accounts for a single affix spot on the item. With high level gems, sockets can be very directly better than affixes.

Forgive me for the question (I'm not familiar very much with the Diablo Series), but how does that work with putting different gems in the sockets, such as 2 Dex and 1 Vit? How does it treat all three sockets as one affix if there are two different gems in it?

I think I'm confusing myself :(

You are! :) So items will have an affix limit. Like "a rare of this level can only roll up 4 affixes max". Gem sockets, regardless of how many, only account for one of those 4 affixes. (in this hypothetical situation in which this particular rare is limited to 4) So this item rolls up +MF, and they're boots so +movement speed, and +Int and then also rolls two gem sockets. So that's the 4 affix limit.
Edited by Bashiok on 5/19/2012 1:39 PM PDT
MVP
View profile
05/19/2012 01:30 PMPosted by Bashiok
Oh... and regardless of how many sockets you have, it only counts as a single affix. If an item rolls up 2 or 3 sockets, that still only accounts for a single affix spot on the item. An item rolling up sockets can absolutely be better than affixes.

I've found rings and amulets with no stats, the only "stat" that rolled on it was socketed, so... it's just a blank socketed ring/ammy. Previously, this would not have been the case, it would have had some stat, and I could have chosen to socket it as well, :(.
But we want our items to have their affixes AND sockets *GASP*

Well, you can't.
Community Manager

I've found rings and amulets with no stats, the only "stat" that rolled on it was socketed, so... it's just a blank socketed ring/ammy. Previously, this would not have been the case, it would have had some stat, and I could have chosen to socket it as well, :(.

Yup. Not every item will be great. Some will be downright awful. The better to craft with. Better kill more demons. :)
Edited by Bashiok on 5/19/2012 1:43 PM PDT
80 Troll Hunter
05/19/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Practical

Forgive me for the question (I'm not familiar very much with the Diablo Series), but how does that work with putting different gems in the sockets, such as 2 Dex and 1 Vit? How does it treat all three sockets as one affix if there are two different gems in it? Why does that matter in the bigger picture?

I think I'm confusing myself :( I just don't understand as well :(
I think how it works in Diablo III is; if an item has sockets, that's it's affix. As in "Socketable axe of suffix." Adding a gem doesn't add an affix (as in "gemmed gemmed axe of suffix"). If an item rolls with 1 or 3 sockets, it's just one affix (a "socket" affix).

I think the poster meant that, because of sockets requiring an affix, that's one less magic property you get to have in lieu of having gems. In Diablo II you could have an "non socket affix weapon of a non socket suffix' and still have a socket.

I don't know though I kind of just skimmed the post.
05/19/2012 01:40 PMPosted by Sixen

I dont really get the sense of those items.
If gems werent in the game, it wouldnt even matter, all they do is add +stats which is directly related to gear, and gear can have like +200 of that stat
Edited by Puppydrowner#1769 on 5/19/2012 1:47 PM PDT
MVP
85 Blood Elf Paladin
05/19/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Bashiok
So items will have an affix limit. Like "a rare of this level can only roll up 4 affixes max". Gem sockets, regardless of how many, only account for one of those 4 affixes.

Oh snap, so what you're saying is that gem sockets take the 'place' of an affix, regardless of how many sockets there are.

So you *can* add a Dex/Str/Int to a 3 socket item and it would give you all three of those stats - but they would be recognized as one affix. And that's why they're such a big deal.

05/19/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Baslashnikov
I dont really get the sense of those items.

I like to think of them as purposefully planted items so that the devs could troll us. Every time someone picks up a Socketed Ring an alarm goes off with the power of one-thousand tears. They rejoice.
Edited by Practical#1393 on 5/19/2012 1:47 PM PDT
Community Manager
If gets werent in the game, it wouldnt even matter, all they do is add +stats which is directly related to gear, and gear can have like +200 of that stat

I guess I'll just repeat myself. Gems allow you stack that stat potentially 58-178 higher than would otherwise be possible.
Edited by Bashiok on 5/19/2012 1:54 PM PDT
80 Troll Hunter
If gets werent in the game, it wouldnt even matter, all they do is add +stats which is directly related to gear, and gear can have like +200 of that stat
I have a low level gem in my wand that increases my crit damage by 25%.

TWENTY FIVE PERCENT.
Edited by psyfect#1150 on 5/19/2012 2:13 PM PDT
Don't forget to subtract 1 affix for Vitality since it is required :P
I just wanted to add I love the way gem slots take up affixes and can be part of the item roll hunt. If you only added them on yourself they would feel cheap to me. I love the randomization and options you have.
So, I guess the scenario is you want a piece of gear with max primary stat, max vit, and max sockets, then you can use the sockets to push your primary stat or vit. Any other stats on the item will just be gravy, so the best items will be the ones that roll those 2 stats at max with sockets, and have nice additional affixes.

That's fine I guess, but it kind of feels like that's what I'll be looking for in every item slot, and since my items are the only thing that really differentiate my character, it all seems kind of boring.

Also, it would have been nice if we could have had a gold or mf gem for the "other" slot.
If a the Socketed affix can be from 1-4 actual sockets, I don't see the problem. If you are looking for stats...then yeah gear with no stat affixes and just sockets won't be as efficient. But if you find really cool gear with other affix, sockets can make up for the lack of stats. Or like Bash said, you can min max other stats that hit the limit on that level of item. Add more of that stat or adding different ones.

Biggest problem here is, when you take the gems out.. they don't break or even have a chance to break.. This means in say 6 months, gems will be one of the cheapest and abundant materials around and there will be a major surplus of them.

This thought did cross my mind. After a while...long while...everyone will have the max level gems they need. They'll be able to just recycle and swap them with the gear they have. Are there any plans to make "gem sinks" or is the cost to remove Radiant gems greater than I realize?
90 Night Elf Druid
05/18/2012 09:19 PMPosted by Skyblaze
Well I am finding gems to be quite helpful. I got a rare bow today with a socket in it and it had 42ish damage. I added a Emerald to it and it was 66 dps then. I think they are really useful.

Me, too.
I love getting a 4 stat yellow item with sockets that I put my main stat (int) gem into.
Makes for ungodly strong itemization!
Not sure what OP is upset about.
05/19/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Bashiok

I guess I'll just repeat myself. Gems allow you stack that stat potentially 58-178 higher than would otherwise be possible.
But the suggestion here is that the chunk more of your primary that you get from the gem will be more valuable than the other affixes you could have rolled. Primary stats are nice, but they aren't everything. And doubling up on primaries will probably cost you more than it would gain. You're still likely looking at a situation where the best loot you could hope for doesn't have gem slots at all, aren't you? I don't know. I don't know how high later affixes roll, and I don't know if multiple sockets take up one affix slot or more.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]