Diablo® III

Thank you for making gems useless

(Locked)

Blizzard Employee
05/19/2012 01:54 PMPosted by Connatic
This thought did cross my mind. After a while...long while...everyone will have the max level gems they need. They'll be able to just recycle and swap them with the gear they have. Are there any plans to make "gem sinks" or is the cost to remove Radiant gems greater than I realize?

The cost is great, but ... it's still possible it'll happen a long enough time from now. We're not too concerned with coming up with a solution just yet. We want the system out there, see how quickly people are acquiring gems, and then see what (if anything) we need to do to provide some fun solutions.
you guys are missing the point. yeah it takes off an affix but what? strength for you wizard/witchdoctor? who the !@#$ needs strength.

Instead when you have +100 int, add a gem that adds more int thus making it even stronger than what was possible without.

I think they could add in that theirs a 10% chance your gem will BREAK when your removing it :)
Edited by FinalBoss#1402 on 5/19/2012 1:59 PM PDT
If a the Socketed affix can be from 1-4 actual sockets, I don't see the problem. If you are looking for stats...then yeah gear with no stat affixes and just sockets won't be as efficient. But if you find really cool gear with other affix, sockets can make up for the lack of stats. Or like Bash said, you can min max other stats that hit the limit on that level of item. Add more of that stat or adding different ones.

Biggest problem here is, when you take the gems out.. they don't break or even have a chance to break.. This means in say 6 months, gems will be one of the cheapest and abundant materials around and there will be a major surplus of them.

This thought did cross my mind. After a while...long while...everyone will have the max level gems they need. They'll be able to just recycle and swap them with the gear they have. Are there any plans to make "gem sinks" or is the cost to remove Radiant gems greater than I realize?

If it comes to that I guess Blizzard can just add "gem dust" (salvaged from Gems, obviously) to crafting recipes, thus providing a Gem sink.
I think he wants the socket system to be totally separate from the affix roles. But I don't understand how doing it this way "dumbs it down". Gear is randomly better than others. Just because single stat affixes can be greater than a gem slot, it doesn't make it worthless. Especially if you get more than one socket for that affix roll.
100 Night Elf Druid
As items can't roll two of the same stat (although hybrid affixes can overlap) a socket allows you to stack more of a specific stat. So even if you reach the upper limit of a specific stat on an item, with a socket you can overcome that limitation. Want to really stack VIT? Even if you're hitting an upper limit of just straight affixes rolling on an item, you can add more VIT if the item has sockets.

Oh... and regardless of how many sockets you have, it only counts as a single affix. If an item rolls up 2 or 3 sockets, that still only accounts for a single affix spot on the item. An item rolling up sockets can absolutely be better than affixes.

This!
Me, too.
I love getting a 4 stat yellow item with sockets that I put my main stat (int) gem into.
Makes for ungodly strong itemization!
Not sure what OP is upset about.
OP is disappointed because he's saying that while sockets are nice, they take the place of an affix which could have been nicER. Let's say you find a 4 affix yellow with gold find, run speed, vitality, and a socket. You socket that item with your primary stat, int. Then you find an item that's exactly the same, but instead of having a socket, it has int already on it. The int on the item will be higher than the int you get from the gem, thus the socketed item is worse. Bash's counter is, if both items had int to begin with, then the socketed item could have MORE int. But would the socketed int be taking the place of something that could be more valuable than an int gem?
As items can't roll two of the same stat (although hybrid affixes can overlap) a socket allows you to stack more of a specific stat. So even if you reach the upper limit of a specific stat on an item, with a socket you can overcome that limitation. Want to really stack VIT? Even if you're hitting an upper limit of just straight affixes rolling on an item, you can add more VIT if the item has sockets.

Oh... and regardless of how many sockets you have, it only counts as a single affix. If an item rolls up 2 or 3 sockets, that still only accounts for a single affix spot on the item. An item rolling up sockets can absolutely be better than affixes.

Yeah in a lot of cases (for Monk weapons) I'd want it to have +dmg, +spd, +dex AND then sockets... so I can increase the dps more... much better than if those socket affixes had been +health-globe or something.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
05/19/2012 01:58 PMPosted by FinalBoss
I think they could add in that theirs a 10% chance your gem will BREAK when your removing it :)
No, bad. Then we just end up with a system that discourages everyone from using their gems again like in D2.
Blizzard Employee
05/19/2012 01:58 PMPosted by mykro
If it comes to that I guess Blizzard can just add "gem dust" (salvaged from Gems, obviously) to crafting recipes, thus providing a Gem sink.

We actually had that at one point, but higher end gems are so difficult to create it felt pretty punishing to make that decision. "You worked for months making that gem, now destroy it!" But maybe it'll make more sense later when gems are a bit more common.
Anyone who thinks Diablo II was complicated should really rethink it.

Gems are useful they just aren't something that will make you crap yourself. Great for low levels, meh otherwise. You use Gems to help you get you to where you can farm for good items.

That is basically how Gems have always been for me. Like get an Amazon to level 18 and throw in perfect gems into a socketed bow and everything dies. Get a ton of +Magic Find and go farm Diablo Mephisto, Baal, on a Sorc. Etc...

Diablo II wasn't that complicated, it just had an in depth item system and a cookie cutter rune system and a cookie cutter Synergy system, and tons of cookie cutter characters running around being controlled by farming or exp bots.
05/19/2012 01:57 PMPosted by Static

I guess I'll just repeat myself. Gems allow you stack that stat potentially 58-178 higher than would otherwise be possible.
But the suggestion here is that the chunk more of your primary that you get from the gem will be more valuable than the other affixes you could have rolled. Primary stats are nice, but they aren't everything. And doubling up on primaries will probably cost you more than it would gain. You're still likely looking at a situation where the best loot you could hope for doesn't have gem slots at all, aren't you? I don't know. I don't know how high later affixes roll, and I don't know if multiple sockets take up one affix slot or more.

You should read the thread then.

Bashiok clearly states that a single Socket affix can give any number of them. Which then makes clear that if an item roll with max Vitality and max primary Attribute getting 3 more Sockets as 1 affix that can be filled with Gems that can further provide more Vitality and/or primary Attributes will be better than the boost another "normal" affix can give if stacking Vitality and/or primary attributes is the focus of that Character.
05/19/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Static
But would the socketed int be taking the place of something that could be more valuable than an int gem?
Random is random. What is possible and absolute isn't really relavent when all that matters is what you actually find. If you get the item with your primary stat affix...is more stats via sockets always worse than any other possible affix besides your primary stat? I don't believe so...you could crunch the numbers to maybe prove me wrong but in the end it seems it would be negligible enough for that gem customization to retain it's value. Especially when the option could be +10% movement speed or ...4 sockets.
Edited by Connatic#1376 on 5/19/2012 2:11 PM PDT
I stil don't think the OP gets it, but I like the new system. I do agree that we're probably going to see the value of GEMS drop way, way down after a while as there will be a huge surplus. But I don't really spend too much time on the AHs so it's not a big deal to me.

It would be nice to have some sort of mechanic to break the GEMS over time. Maybe each de-socketing reduces it's durability a bit and it can't be repaired? Maybe it can be repaired by using the jeweler to mend it with a lower quality GEM of the same type. Not sure, but I have faith that Blizz will sort it out. Loving the system so far though, because as Bash said - you can get +(max) STAT and then still go higher with sockets. Win.
Anyone who thinks Diablo II was complicated should really rethink it.

Gems are useful they just aren't something that will make you crap yourself. Great for low levels, meh otherwise. You use Gems to help you get you to where you can farm for good items.

That is basically how Gems have always been for me. Like get an Amazon to level 18 and throw in perfect gems into a socketed bow and everything dies. Get a ton of +Magic Find and go farm Diablo Mephisto, Baal, on a Sorc. Etc...

Diablo II wasn't that complicated, it just had an in depth item system and a cookie cutter rune system and a cookie cutter Synergy system, and tons of cookie cutter characters running around being controlled by farming or exp bots.
DON'T RUIN THEIR NOSTALGIA!!!!!!!!!! They will remember the game as it wasn't so they can hate this game. That is the way games work now days.
It's already been mentioned that sockets, despite taking up an affix, function as an inferior affix guaranteed to be useful to your character as opposed to something completely random, but there's one point that I don't think anyone has yet mentioned.

Seeing as having someone power level you is no longer possible XP wise, slotting high level gems into low level equipment is a fantastic means of powering up your character to get him/her through normal/nightmare quickly while still getting XP.
90 Worgen Rogue
Me, too.
I love getting a 4 stat yellow item with sockets that I put my main stat (int) gem into.
Makes for ungodly strong itemization!
Not sure what OP is upset about.
OP is disappointed because he's saying that while sockets are nice, they take the place of an affix which could have been nicER. Let's say you find a 4 affix yellow with gold find, run speed, vitality, and a socket. You socket that item with your primary stat, int. Then you find an item that's exactly the same, but instead of having a socket, it has int already on it. The int on the item will be higher than the int you get from the gem, thus the socketed item is worse. Bash's counter is, if both items had int to begin with, then the socketed item could have MORE int. But would the socketed int be taking the place of something that could be more valuable than an int gem?

The item with the socket CAN be better, but depending on how the RNG is feeling that day, it might not be better.

On the AH, I've seen items at any specific level with horrible stat combinations, or huge variances in the items' potential stat budget... the amulets with no stats and a single socket mentioned earlier being a good example. The RNG simply wasn't kind when it rolled up those.

The good stuff you keep or sell. The crap goes in the recycle bin.
05/18/2012 09:24 PMPosted by LesGrossman
Biggest problem here is, when you take the gems out.. they don't break or even have a chance to break.. This means in say 6 months, gems will be one of the cheapest and abundant materials around and there will be a major surplus of them.

Play hardcore, mate. Hyper item inflation will occur with every item in normal mode :).
Go back and play Diablo 2 without any patches or the expansion. The item system was just as dull as it is now.

I'm not worrying any because I know the game will be dramatically different 1 year from now. The game just released. It is still a great and addicting game. And I know it will be patched and updated constantly - it isn't gonna be this way forever.

I think the biggest problem with items right now and Blizzard realizes this is that for each class only two item stats are important - VIT and their class specific (Wizard - INT, etc.). So if a blue item comes up with +100 INT +80 VIT, then it is immediately better than any rare item that has 4 or 5 useless modifiers.

All other modifiers, like +10 fire resistance, +5 to maximum arcane power, each hit adds +11-16 Life, chance to bleed target for 10 damage, etc. are completely worthless in the game as it stands right now. The only thing that matters is damage and life. Whats the point of adding "each hit adds +11-16 Life" when players have 10k life already when the modifier comes up in items? Not to mention that anyone in the game would prefer +40 vitality to each hit adds life modifier.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]