Diablo® III

Thank you for making gems useless

(Locked)

I just wanted to let you know, i got a double drop of the same item and the same stats. i still have the items.
Im experiencing some problems when logging onto battle.net through diablo 3. It stays 'connecting to battle.net server' and then simply just quits. What could be the problem?
I love sockets, and I love gems, the end.
thy could make it so you could pick a what one think a useless item stat like +1 vitality or + 5 exp from monsters and then change it to a socket instead ?
As items can't roll two of the same stat (although hybrid affixes can overlap) a socket allows you to stack more of a specific stat. So even if you reach the upper limit of a specific stat on an item, with a socket you can overcome that limitation. Want to really stack VIT? Even if you're hitting an upper limit of just straight affixes rolling on an item, you can add more VIT if the item has sockets.

Oh... and regardless of how many sockets you have, it only counts as a single affix. If an item rolls up 2 or 3 sockets, that still only accounts for a single affix spot on the item. An item rolling up sockets can absolutely be better than affixes.

Funny cuz i saw four 1:1 same items in a.house and for the test i bought 1 of them and my fr bought the other 1. But the items can't roll two of the same stat (pokerface). First check your game then talk to us about it.
As items can't roll two of the same stat (although hybrid affixes can overlap) a socket allows you to stack more of a specific stat. So even if you reach the upper limit of a specific stat on an item, with a socket you can overcome that limitation. Want to really stack VIT? Even if you're hitting an upper limit of just straight affixes rolling on an item, you can add more VIT if the item has sockets.

Oh... and regardless of how many sockets you have, it only counts as a single affix. If an item rolls up 2 or 3 sockets, that still only accounts for a single affix spot on the item. An item rolling up sockets can absolutely be better than affixes.

Funny cuz i saw four 1:1 same items in a.house and for the test i bought 1 of them and my fr bought the other 1. But the items can't roll two of the same stat (pokerface). First check your game then talk to us about it.

You do realise that's not what he meant at all?
05/18/2012 09:24 PMPosted by LesGrossman
Biggest problem here is, when you take the gems out.. they don't break or even have a chance to break.. This means in say 6 months, gems will be one of the cheapest and abundant materials around and there will be a major surplus of them.

This.
I have a question in my mind
Can a item got 2 same affix ? i mean 2 vitality affix and 2 different one ? /without socketing/ is it possible ?
i don't understand this post.... i find 3x socket in armor and 2x socket in pants BEST affix in the game, or in the ring / amu that has lots of random affixes ( like 6 or 7 ).

this allows single stat go beyond it max value, let's say armor max dex value has 150, with 3 socket you can double that, and even still that armor could have 2 spare affixes on other stats you need ( vit or res etc ).

stop complaining, yes, square and flawless square will lose their value in 2months, who cares, it takes 100k + money to craft radiant square, add that to star ones, they'll cost MILLIONS, not to mention you need to find VERY RARE plans for your JC so he can even learn beyond star gems.

in conclusion, socket's are not bad affix, most cases they are best.
Edited by Juomari#2386 on 5/20/2012 9:16 AM PDT
no, like i killed a monster, killed another, got two of the same item dropped, identical. something bout that is messed up.
90 Orc Warrior
really startign to piss me off all the people ocmplaining that "Blizzard didn't put enough into this game". You really have no idea how much they put in this game to work, how much they put in so that the game could have one of the largest openings ever and we only got about half a day of maintenance.If you don't like how the gems work, then don't use them!
View profile
05/19/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Bashiok
If gets werent in the game, it wouldnt even matter, all they do is add +stats which is directly related to gear, and gear can have like +200 of that stat

I guess I'll just repeat myself. Gems allow you stack that stat potentially 58-178 higher than would otherwise be possible.

True story...putting a few nice ruby's in a socketed weapon add a ton of damage to my wiz.
05/20/2012 09:15 AMPosted by Swift
no, like i killed a monster, killed another, got two of the same item dropped, identical. something bout that is messed up.

It is, but it's also just as statistically possible as getting two completely different items if they're using a true RNG table. I could roll a 100 sided die five times and get a 1 every time and the statistical possibility is exactly the same as me getting 12, 84, 51, 30 and 44.
05/18/2012 09:24 PMPosted by LesGrossman
Biggest problem here is, when you take the gems out.. they don't break or even have a chance to break.. This means in say 6 months, gems will be one of the cheapest and abundant materials around and there will be a major surplus of them.

and this is bad how?
I wonder about endgame gems.. some of the mods seem to be pretty useless.
Radiant gems are meant for inferno, as they require tome of secrets, and are generally top notch gear, used by level 60 characters, unless you twink them for some reason.

Now, these stats:

radiant star ruby in helms - 31% exp bonus per kill
radiant star topaz in weapon - 1800 thorns damage
radiant star amethyst in weapon - 600 life on hit
radiant star ruby in weapon - 20 min/max damage

I mean, who will ever use exp bonus gem on a level 60? This could make sense only if you twink it to lower level.
All gems in weapon are entirely outshined by emerald (100% crit damage), 600 life on hit is ridiculously low compared to even lousy 0.5% life leech (given stacked level 60 character for which these gems are meant for). Even low crit chance, the 100% crit bonus damage gem outshines it heavily (given you have at least minimal amount of leech anywhere on your gear or passives).
Same goes for damage gems (ruby), 20 min and max damage, on lategame 1000+ dps weapons is just nothing, compared to 100% critical damage bonus.
Thorns damage, well. You lose tons of your own dps (not using emerald in weapon), and trade that for really low amount of thorns damage vs stats of monsters that are in inferno, or even hell and nightmare difficulty.

Some of these stats are fine at lower levels, but they scale poorly with incresing character damage and monster stats.
I wonder about endgame gems.. some of the mods seem to be pretty useless. Radiant gems are meant for inferno, as they require tome of secrets, and are generally top notch gear, used by level 60 characters, unless you twink them for some reason.

Now, these stats:

radiant star ruby in helms - 31% exp bonus per kill
radiant star topaz in weapon - 1800 thorns damage
radiant star amethyst in weapon - 600 life on hit
radiant star ruby in weapon - 20 min/max damage

I mean, who will ever use exp bonus gem on a level 60? This could make sense only if you twink it to lower level.
All gems in weapon are entirely outshined by emerald (100% crit damage), 600 life on hit is ridiculously low compared to even lousy 0.5% life leech (given stacked level 60 character for which these gems are meant for). Even low crit chance, the 100% crit bonus damage gem outshines it heavily (given you have at least minimal amount of leech anywhere on your gear or passives).
Same goes for damage gems (ruby), 20 min and max damage, on lategame 1000+ dps weapons is just nothing, compared to 100% critical damage bonus.
Thorns damage, well. You lose tons of your own dps (not using emerald in weapon), and trade that for really low amount of thorns damage vs stats of monsters that are in inferno, or even hell and nightmare difficulty.

Some of these stats are fine at lower levels, but they scale poorly with incresing character damage and monster stats.

This ^ he has a good point about some of the high level gems stats being useless
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]