Diablo® III

The only viable DH build: PMS

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
2600 right now. I'm trying this PMS and it's working pretty good. Don't really understand having Vault since smoke screen is supposed to be the main defensive skill. Any viable replacement for it?
Reply Quote
As someone who's in hell right now with 6.2k DPS, I support PMS build, although I have yet to use the P. I intend to though.

Multishot is awesome, and those of you saying its bad, ARE bad, and probably stuck on NM.

As another addendum, however, I use multishot with fire at will.
Edited by LoveOfProfit#1281 on 5/20/2012 2:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Tek, could you link the build. Going off what you've posted mainly but would like to make sure. Right now this is what I'm using.

PMS w/ Battle Scar, Lingering Fog, and Fire at Will.

Caltrops w/ Jagged Spikes. You can spam this and just watch their health plummet.

Grenades w/ Tinkerer or Bola w/ Acid Strike. Fast attack speed with a quiver for huge hatred regen or multiple shots at mobs.

Impale w/ Impact for stun lock.

Passives Steady Aim, Nightstalker, and Vengeance.

Problems I notice with this. Vengeance lets you fire off 7 Multis. However, Prep with Battle Scars restores Disc, not Hatred which you're going to need to continue spamming your Multis. If you take Punishment, you're spending 25 Disc which you need to use for SS to stay alive or Caltrops to make your get away. Discussing in game with other DHs, I've noticed everyone comes to the same conclusion. It's all a big circle on what works best. PMS is viable, but seems more solo build. Since a lot of people like to party up and if possible to keep your max range, we should also discuss best group build which can help do more damage.

For groups I prefer to use Entangling shot with Chain Gang for max snare. For single target I prefer Rapid Fire with Web Shot to snare. Caltrops with Jagged Spikes because I can quickly spam them then get my distance and fire away with Cluster Arrow with Shooting Stars or Dazzling Arrow, haven't decided what works best, with packs. I like using Evasive Fire with Covering Fire since it shoots more targets and has more hatred regen. Then it's choosing whether to use Prep to restore your Disc for more Caltrops and Evasive to jump away or Hatred to spam more Cluster Arrows. Throw in a Marked for Death with Valley with Steady Aim and Cull of the Weak and that's a lot of increased damage.

NOTE: Would like to see a quick build switch in game to make it easier to go from one build to another instead of having to manually switch everything. Also, my above recommendation is what I prefer to use with playing with groups, but PMS is still pretty viable. Just don't have to use SS so much since you're keeping your range while your Barb/Monk tank.
Edited by LtEOD#1555 on 5/20/2012 2:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 02:23 PMPosted by nickZZ
multishot isn't very good.

Multi shot + cross bow + sharphooter = ohhai 35k crits on 15 mobs in front of me.

I wasnt a fan either until mid way thru act 2:hell, now I cant live without it.

Currently 58 act 3 hell, 15k( about 9k or so w/o SS)dps @ 28k hp.
Reply Quote
Im at 3600 dps and multishot owns if you stack with mark of death. I use the following build from now on.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aZXVjQ!beT!aaZcZa

I then switch to rain of vengeance with Dark Cloud for bosses. Multishot also goes over wallers which is a big plus.

Fought a Waller, arcane sentry, vortex rare and just stayed max range and used multishot whenever walls went up. Totally owns.
Reply Quote
When soloing, Nether Tentacles Elemental Arrow is much better than multishot imo, it's a lot more hatred efficient. Can also use it for single target, so you basically only have one spender, leaves room for other stuff. Before you're 58 or whatever it was for Nether, Multishot is definitely good, and when grouping I'd use Multishot with the discipline rune(forgot the name) simply because if you're out of discipline in a group, you're pretty much a living dead with about 3secs left standing. And I mean in Hell or Inferno, you could probably run around without anything runed in NM and still clear it.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 04:36 AMPosted by Pyros
When soloing, Nether Tentacles Elemental Arrow is much better than multishot imo, it's a lot more hatred efficient. Can also use it for single target, so you basically only have one spender, leaves room for other stuff. Before you're 58 or whatever it was for Nether, Multishot is definitely good, and when grouping I'd use Multishot with the discipline rune(forgot the name) simply because if you're out of discipline in a group, you're pretty much a living dead with about 3secs left standing. And I mean in Hell or Inferno, you could probably run around without anything runed in NM and still clear it.

I prefer using the reduce hatred rune on Multishot sometimes and having preparation for when im out of discipline. This seems to balance the best. Often i find if i go for something that increases discipline i have too much of it when i am in groups and not having to use my defensive skills as often., but this strikes a good discipline.
Reply Quote
Multishot spam still works in inferno, i'm doing it myself. I use FaW and have bat for extra hate regen, + quiver with hate regen. With the extra hate regen, i can spam out enough multis to kill any general set of trash mobs. Multi still decent for certain elite packs as well, like illusions.
Reply Quote
I deliberately didn't link a build because I don't want you to think that there is "the" build. I'm just saying that PMS is core to any decent DH build right now. However since people are asking, I linked what I'm running now for solo build.

I think there is room for improvement in the build. E.G. hungering piercing might not be the best. I am actually still experimenting with this part of the build.

In groups, bat companion becomes mark of death.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aZXTVQ!YXe!aaZZbb

Edit: things I'm trying today:

Bitter Pill Bola
Tinkerer Grenades
Stun Grenades
Stampede Rain of Vengeance

I am looking for ways to generate resources faster as well as CC.
Edited by teknical#1804 on 5/20/2012 8:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I just found out you can enable elective mode.
Did you guys know this?
I mean I'm level 57 and just figured this out :|
SOOOO either I am a SUPER NOOB or perhaps other people haven't either
So this is the build I use when I am solo-ing and haven't had any problems. I find most things die by either my splash (bola + withering arrows)
Or single target skills (impale + rapid fire)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aWZlcg!ebT!YaZbYY
Reply Quote
Yeah, I was picking one skill from each facet until I turned elective on today. Didn't even realize it.

So we know that PMS is necessary for DH builds. Now we just need to determine what works best for solo and what works best for groups.

I think the use of Preparation can be one of the biggest factors. Solo requires survival which means keeping SS up. Refreshing your Disc is important for that. Groups however you can afford the Disc to refresh your hatred for more Multi spams. Agreed?

Also, should we request a sticky?
Edited by LtEOD#1555 on 5/20/2012 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Nether tentacles is better. Until you get that frost arrow > multishot in every way. Also nether tentacles does so much damage you don't need more than the 5-6 smoke screens you get from regular prep/ss to kill pretty much everything except bosses (and multishot doesn't do !@#$ against single target). Also w/ nether tentacles you don't need a single target dps ability since it's the best available for that as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]