Diablo® III

Brother Malachai's Prophecy?

From Brother Malachai's prophecy in Tristram

And it is written, a fire will carve a furrow in the sky, and this shall be a sign unto you that the end is come.

From the east shall come a monarch whose rule begins in blood and ends in bone. In the light of a comet will he die a third and final death at the hands of true men/a chosen woman.

What was once one shall become four. Though the three shall become one, never again will the four be whole.

Weep, Tristram. I tell you, weep. Justice must be broken so that wisdom can be reborn.

A) The comet
B) Leoric being slain again by the players
C) ??? What does this mean???
D) Erdruin being reforged, and Tyrael taking his new position
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

What was once one shall become four. Though the three shall become one, never again will the four be whole.

I think it's got something to do with the council of Archangels.
Reply Quote

I think it's got something to do with the council of Archangels.

Well they have 5 people though.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
A while back Malthael got emo and ragequit.
Reply Quote

Tyreal > 3 sword fragments + stranger > Sword repaired + Mortal Tyreal.

So I take it he will never again get his wings back.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 02:47 PMPosted by Mijuu

C)
One become four == Tyrael falling and losing his sword, which was broken in 3 pieces (3 pieces + Tyrael = 4). Before that he was in perfect affinity with the sword, making it count only as one.

Three become one == The 3 fragments of the sword being reforged into a single piece.

Four will never be whole == although El'Druin was reforged and Tyrael got it back, he would never be one like before because he became the archangel of wisdom as a human, not an angel, making him different: positive in some ways (learning from humanity) and negative in other ways (mortal)

(At least that's what i got from it)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Tyreal > 3 sword fragments + stranger > Sword repaired + Mortal Tyreal.

So I take it he will never again get his wings back.

That's some pretty funky math :P

Anyway, here's my reasoning...
What was once one

The Angiris Council
shall become four.

Malthael gets butthurt and stomps off in a huff, IIRC he was sort of like the "leader" of them and now the council's just four archangels who can't get along very well
Though the three shall become one

Tyrael ragequits the council (and being an archangel) as well, three left on the council now
never again will the four be whole.

Probably because Imperius will be grouchy over Tyrael taking his new position.
Edited by Revenant#1367 on 5/19/2012 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Brother Malachi says that during the time you're searching for the sword pieces, which serves as a strong indicator that what he's saying does, in fact, relate to Tyrael and his sword.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I don't think it refers to Tyreal as much as it is the council itself, the council was once one, they acted in concert and unison with each other when Matheal was in charge, with him gone they are now 4, and thats still counting Tyreal rejoining the council, at least thats another way to look at it.
Reply Quote
Four and three make seven. Or look at it this way...Three Prime Evils and Four Lesser Evils.
Reply Quote
04/19/2013 02:00 PMPosted by Aenwyrm
Four and three make seven. Or look at it this way...Three Prime Evils and Four Lesser Evils.

if this is the basis for the prophecy

What was once one shall become four

Lesser evils will go to war with each other? idk

Though the three shall become one

Three prime evils unite into one superpower

never again will the four be whole.

the four permanently weaken each other or something. prime evils become even more dominant

cool
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
As far as C goes I think the reforging of the sword makes sense to fit this... but for D...

Weep, Tristram. I tell you, weep. Justice must be broken so that wisdom can be reborn.

Okay so Tyrael is the angel of justice... but broken because he ripped his wings off and his sword is shattered so "Justice must be broken" refers to him.

then "wisdom can be reborn" refers to the angel malthael, who is the angel of wisdom... who could not fathom the breaking of the world stone by your very own Tyrael. So when Tyrael is broken, malthael will return is the jist of what that one means.
Reply Quote
And it is written, a fire will carve a furrow in the sky, and this shall be a sign unto you that the end is come.

the falling star, obviously.

From the east shall come a monarch whose rule begins in blood and ends in bone. In the light of a comet will he die a third and final death at the hands of true men/a chosen woman.

King Leoric.

I believe this references the Angiris council becoming divided, and Diablo becoming the Prime Evil. the Council's differences wont allow them to unite again as they once were.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Sorry to Necro this thread but I would like to add my own thoughts to this.

It definitely is not referring to the evils since there were 7 lords of hell in the black soul stone.
(Andariel, Duriel, Belial, Asmodan, Mephisto, Baal, Diablo). Those 7 go on to become the prime evil but it doesn't make sense to say that " never again will the four be made whole" referres to the 7 lords of hell.

It cannot be the Angiris council because Originally there were 5 arch angels on the council. When Malthiel dissapeared they became 4 yes but then the prophecy should have said "Never again shall the 5 be made whole.

So it goes to reason that the only thing that was once 1 and then became 4 is Justice, which was broken into 4 parts. (The mortal Tyriel and his 3 sword fragments) The 3 fragments were reforged into 1 sword but Tyriel remains a mortal and unable to unite with his sword as he was before.

About the part where wisdom must be reborn i think does not refer to Malthiel being reborn but the office or position held by him being reborn (when tyriel takes his place) Malthiel as we know is now the archangel of death and not wisdom. If he was wisdom he would not be going on a fools errand trying to kill off all the humans and face off against the Nephalim. Wisdom went mad and became death, the council lost the member who was wisdom, Justice was broken, experienced mortal existence and became the wisest member of the council and then took up the place of wisdom thus wisdom was reborn. I've looked at it in many different ways and this is the only way I've found that makes all the points A,C,D make sense together.
Edited by Remedist#1156 on 3/28/2014 12:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
That prophecy is about Diablo. The monarch being Leoric. The comet and the thing being 4 then 2 is Tyrael. The thing dying 3 times is of course Diablo who was defeated 3 times by the end of D3.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I disagree about the prohecy being about diablo.

The Monarch is Leoric, and so is the thing dying 3 times. 1st Time King Leoric (Blood) was killed by Lachdanan after the defeat at Westmarch, the second time he died in diablo 1 when the player killed the skeleton king (Bone), the third and final time he died in the light of the fallen star (which was under his throne) in diablo 3.
Edited by Remedist#1156 on 3/29/2014 1:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote

As others have said, this line is about Tyrael and his sword, who taken together are the embodiment of Justice. It doesn't make sense to assume that this line is referring to demon lords or the Angiris council because everything else in the prophesy occurs in Ac I of Diablo 3. Why would it have some random line alluding to something totally different?

03/28/2014 12:47 PMPosted by Ishtar
That prophecy is about Diablo. The monarch being Leoric. The comet and the thing being 4 then 2 is Tyrael. The thing dying 3 times is of course Diablo who was defeated 3 times by the end of D3.

Then why does it say this:

he will die a third and final death at the hands of true men/a chosen woman.
Edited by Finnway#1220 on 3/30/2014 8:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
However I come over Two years later, I think your argument is just fine. I liked it! .... This note is for YuryST comment.
Edited by CRESTA#1961 on 7/1/2014 7:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I always took this is as reference to the player and his followers in D3, not any of the demons or angels.
Edited by Skab#1372 on 7/15/2014 7:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I gotta agree: The one becoming four refers to Tyrial becoming mortal and his sword splitting into 3 different pieces. And the sword became whole, but Tyrial is fated to die mortal now. Makes the most sense to me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]