Diablo® III

My take on a WD boss build (hell)

Hey guys, I just hit 60 on my WD yesterday, ive soloed most of hell except a few places on act 1 before i got zombie bears, and am currently on diablo hell before servers went down this morning :(. I've been having trouble with diablo, so I went on forums looking for a good boss spec. I tried several of my own and suggested out including the firebats, the haunt/splinter builds. I had little or no success with these builds so I thought id take my regular zombie build and optimize it for a boss fight.

The build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fURdQP!ZbU!caaZYZ
Reasoning: First zombie bears might not seem optimal for boss fights, but ive found them to out perform all other abilities. When fighting bosses they tend to be rather large so when 3 zombie bears are summoned majority of the time at least 2 of them hit.
Firebat is good especially its range and has good dmg, and a good alternative if you're not familiar with zombie bears, but their dmg if the boss is large enough that 2-3 bears can hit is not comparable. Splinters are a joke.
Spirit walk with jaunt is the best decision for spirit walk for almost any spec it pretty much grants immunity for up to 5 seconds allowing you to escape and or lay down your soul harvest.
Soul harvest (siphon) is decent for this build but can be replace ive yet to find anything better so ive kept it for quick health regain and some bonus dmg.
Hex (hedge magic) is awesome, while the cc doesnt work on boss its a great little heal that has saved me countless times.
Big bad vodoo (ghost trance) i found is great lay this bad boy down and you can pretty much tank almost any boss for 20 sec.
Fetish army (devoted following) you might ask why devoted following, what ive noticed is fetish army dmg is ok at best, but it can sometimes grab a bosses attention and make it focus on the tiny little bastards with a cd cut down in half it can greatly help survivability.
Passives
Jungle fortitude (do i really need to explain? 20% dmg reduction yes plz)
Spiritual attunement ok here im up for changes im not sure if zombie bears apply "poison" acutally reducing dmg done by 20% so if they do id go with that but ive yet to test it and if someone could let me know id be very greatful, another option is spirit vessel, now im not a huge fan of this one but it has potential seems to me it bugs out a ton and 90sec wait is quiet a while.
Vision Quest keep all your abilities on cooldown and you win. Spam zombie bears till your hearts desire.
Cons
This build requires quiet a bit of being in close range with bosses so what you need to consider is finding the best moments of nuking the boss. Like pop big bad vodoo and fetish army and light that !@# up for 20 seconds but after that youll need to start being careful and very cautious.
Stats
Im currently at around 6-7k dmg without soul harvest
and around 26k health id be more acurrate but servers are down :(.
Edited by Randymarsh#1540 on 5/22/2012 9:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Interesting.

I'm a level 54 WD and I've seen the Zombie Bears posted several times now (since we can't play lol).

Are they really that good?

I was getting discouraged because most of the WD spells kinda suck.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZUdgP!ZWh!aaZZZZ

That's my current build.
Reply Quote
They are that good, i currently have a 520ish dps staff and my bears crit over 30k each (if all 3 hit thats 30k x 3). I've soloed most of act 4 easly including most rares and champs, without much trouble. Id really recommend trying them out they kick !@#.
Now your build, (im not sure if you know but there is an elective mode where you can put skill wherever you please its in your options) the problem with wd is that your set primary skills pretty much all minisqual compared to dire bat and zombie bears, with vision quest you can spam firebats or any high mana cost ability with ease and hit like a truck. The main thing to remember is you got to make sure all your $%^- is always on cooldown.
What builds id recommend for you: For regular mobs/dungeons not bosses.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fjUdTR!ZUc!caaZYa (i use this) or
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cSUdTP!ZUc!aZaZYY
Edited by Randymarsh#1540 on 5/22/2012 9:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Edit: soloed diablo on hell with this build
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aeRUPQ!hWe!aaaccb

This would be the safest and best way to do late hell and inferno bosses and specials.
I hit 26.5k damage with this build and it is extremely safe as well as good for the team you are with. Also, if you are good enough to target fire this build is better for soloing.

Enjoy the insight! By the way cooldown reduction on tribal rites is bugged when blizz fixes it this build will be even better.

OGFrase
Reply Quote
I noticed you don't have any mana regeneration skills. I run out of mana too much. Maybe its my cruddy gear. I am level 51 in Act I Hell. How much mana regeneration are you getting from gear?
Reply Quote
The Fetish army sounds good in coop but seems a little lackluster solo. You are getting good damage for 20 secs and then mediocre damage for the next ~70. What's the attraction?
Reply Quote
First arek, I have almost no mana regain on my gear it is all about vision quest for mana regain just need to keep 4 spells on cooldown most of the time.

Ferrari, your getting the best dmg for 20 sec and then your getting great dmg for the rest of time. Splinters/Haunt as suggested i find even if you hit more often with them overall do less dmg.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Ferrari
The Fetish army sounds good in coop but seems a little lackluster solo. You are getting good damage for 20 secs and then mediocre damage for the next ~70. What's the attraction?

its always on cooldown.. and thats what you want to trigger vision quest. Using fetish without vision quest is.. useless.
Edited by acceleratum#2557 on 5/22/2012 6:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
wow! I just tried this build vs diablo in hell lvl this build rocks! i was having trouble with diablo with other builds but this build @@#!d diablo so fast i am sittin at 7k atk 30k hp. (y)
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 11:11 PMPosted by tim
wow! I just tried this build vs diablo in hell lvl this build rocks! i was having trouble with diablo with other builds but this build @@#!d diablo so fast i am sittin at 7k atk 30k hp. (y)

Glad i could help :)
Reply Quote
how da heck did you find a 500+ dps stick? is it one handed?
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aeRUPQ!hWe!aaaccb

This would be the safest and best way to do late hell and inferno bosses and specials.
I hit 26.5k damage with this build and it is extremely safe as well as good for the team you are with. Also, if you are good enough to target fire this build is better for soloing.

Enjoy the insight! By the way cooldown reduction on tribal rites is bugged when blizz fixes it this build will be even better.

OGFrase

90% sure this post is a troll. Bad spec + egotrip. Hmm.

Agreed i've yet to see splinter do even comparable dmg to zombie bears or firebat
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 07:43 AMPosted by twiz718
how da heck did you find a 500+ dps stick? is it one handed?

Sorry bout the late response its a lvl 57 or 59 cant remember 2h yellow staff. I bought it off the auction house for like 50k
Reply Quote
Just a quick question, but why Jaunt as the rune and not the mana recharge one? Not complaint, just wondering the thinking.
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 11:37 AMPosted by Kendjin
Just a quick question, but why Jaunt as the rune and not the mana recharge one? Not complaint, just wondering the thinking.

I honestly went with mana recharge first but what i realised is that it:
First- It doesnt generate a significant amount of mana that i thought will be excessively beneficial.
Second- Spirit walk is to damn good not to add a few seconds to it, spirit walk is pretty much an immunity/escape button and without jaunt its duration only really allows it to be used mostly defensively. With jaunt you have plenty of time to run in soul harvest and maybe even atk once or twice before getting out.
Edited by Randymarsh#1540 on 5/23/2012 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So started inferno today, didnt have much problems with it, but changed the build slightly for more survival.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fZUjdR!ZcU!caaaZa
Soloed everything skeleton king gonna farm a while and then keep moving.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]