Diablo® III

D2 dialogue vs D3 dialogue

85 Tauren Warrior
D2-- Mephisto: And the Evil that was once vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man, shall he walk amongst the innocent, and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies shall rain fire, and the seas will become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked, and all of Creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!

D3-- Diablo: YOUR NEPHALEM POWER WON'T SAVE YOU FROM MY REALM OF TERROAAAAR

Post yours
Reply Quote
D2: Not even death can save you from me.

D3: "You won't be able to save the Angel of Hope"
*Saves the Angel of Hope*
"Okay, you saved the Angel of Hope but it doesn't matter, you won't be able to destroy my gates"
*Destroys gate*
"Okay, you destroyed one gate but the other won't fall"
*Destroys second gate*
"Okay, you destroyed the second gate but..."
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior

"Okay, you saved the Angel of Hope but it doesn't matter, you won't be able to destroy my gates"
*Destroys gate*
*Destroys second gate*

God, so true LOL
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
D2 did not have much memorable dialog. Rose-colored glasses. It was just as cheesy as D3.

Sadly, there was no way this game was going to live up to anyone's expectations because of the gap in time between releases.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Whenever i saw the Lords of Evil in D2, and up to this date when i see the cinematics, i feel some kind of dark essence, terror, hatred, fear, power in their voices and acts.

In diablo 3, its more like a big show, like:
"look how big i am!" "i will destroy you all" and they don't seem to take into consideration that we are the most powerful beings in the creation. They couldn't catch us in any of their wicked traps, nor defeat us or do something really awful....

They don't even look like demons if it weren't by their looks and voice.
Reply Quote
D2 did not have much memorable dialog. Rose-colored glasses. It was just as cheesy as D3.

Sadly, there was no way this game was going to live up to anyone's expectations because of the gap in time between releases.

How is it "rose colored glasses" when the dialogue is readily available to be compared? Name me ONE instance in D3 where the dialogue is similar to how it was in, for instance, the Moldy Tome in Diablo 2.

"...And so it came to pass that the Countess, who once bathed in the rejuvenating blood of a hundred virgins, was buried alive... And her castle in which so many cruel deeds took place fell rapidly into ruin. Rising over the buried dungeons in that god-forsaken wilderness, a solitary tower, like some monument to Evil, is all that remains. The Countess' fortune was believed to be divided among the clergy, although some say that more remains unfound, still buried alongside the rotting skulls that bear mute witness to the inhumanity of the human creature."

Face it, the dialogue in Diablo 3 is not worthy of the franchise. You just don't want to accept it (or just have extremely low standards), so you convince yourself we're all just victims of nostalgia.
Edited by Hexxus#1912 on 5/24/2012 12:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Surprised no one has mentioned the worst one of all:

"I am Legion"

I don't wanna talk about it.
Reply Quote
86 Human Death Knight

*Destroys gate*
*Destroys second gate*

God, so true LOL

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.
Reply Quote
86 Human Death Knight

I refuse to acknowledge you. You are shunned. Forever. Are you...seriously are you like, what? ...punking us? Gah.
Reply Quote
Surprised no one has mentioned the worst one of all:

"I am Legion"

I don't wanna talk about it.

I cringed at that too. It was like they realized their lore in D3 was completely contrived, so they tried to do something to make it seem like they hadn't forgotten D1 and D2's roots... And failed miserably.
Reply Quote
"All those crazy stories.."

Or whatever Leah's line was about not believing what Cain had told her. I mean your town is presently being besieged by the walking dead, what does you mean crazy stories? Why on earth is the "have to overcome disbelief in the supernatural" line of character development being used in the world of Diablo?? Later in A3 the herald from Westmarch says the king won't send real soldiers to fight imaginary enemies. Hasn't Tristram been razed to the ground 3 times now?? Its like they randomly grabbed cliches, shoved them into the game, and didn't even worry about whether they fit. Sadly, that first cinematic with Tyrael giving up his wings was the only one that could hold a candle to D2's. This moment though was a bad omen of things to come in D3.

"Why did I follow him? I don't know. Why do things happen as they do in dreams? All I know is that when he beckoned I had to follow him."

You can't argue with straight emotion. D2 sounded like it was inspired by Poe, except the Tyrael and the Prime Evils dialogue which came from the Bible.
Reply Quote
D2: Join my army of the dead!

D3: oh noez the nephalem is here!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/24/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Marakesh
Or whatever Leah's line was about not believing what Cain had told her. I mean your town is presently being besieged by the walking dead, what does you mean crazy stories? Why on earth is the "have to overcome disbelief in the supernatural" line of character development being used in the world of Diablo?? Later in A3 the herald from Westmarch says the king won't send real soldiers to fight imaginary enemies. Hasn't Tristram been razed to the ground 3 times now??

The existence of magic, undead and demons is common knowledge in Sanctuary... but the Seven Evils are largely considered mythological figures.

The writings of Abd al-Hazir made that clear; he spoke of the Unburied and acknowledged that the Fallen are creatures of demonic origin, but he referred as Azmodan as "mythical". He also expressed skepticism when when he read that the Blood Clan Khazra allied with the Lesser Evils ("such a thing cannot be considered proper scholarship... can it?").

Leah began the story in a similar position. She knew the undead and demons were real, but she wasn't convinced that demon lords were about to bring about the end of the world. Only after Tyrael showed her a vision of his fall did she realize that Cain had been right all along.
Reply Quote
"Oh sure, undead wandering the fields, demons lurking in pretty much every cellar, cave, or basement everywhere no matter what, not to mention the hundreds that are just wandering around in broad daylight, and maybe I can't wander more than a hundred feet without either stepping in a pile of rotting bodies or some disgusting thing, and we've named every location in our world something like "Hills of Eternal Suffering" and "Field Of Unending Anguish" because this is the reality we live in, but are you suggesting there are bigger stronger versions of these hundreds of demons and undead somewhere? Now you've gone too far!" - What people in D3 literally believe.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
D2 Tyrael: Fool! You have just ensured the doom of this world. You cannot even begin to imagine what you've set in motion this day. Go to the Temple of Light, in the eastern city of Kurast. There you will find the gate to Hell opened before you. You must find the courage to step through that gate, Marius. Take the stone you hold to the Hellforge, where it will be destroyed. Now run! Take the stone and run!

D3 Tyrael: You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this - to protect the innocent! But if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother!

---

D2 Diablo: Not even death can save you from me!

D3 Diablo: Take one last look at your shining Heaven, Imperius. For soon, nothing of it shall remain but my laughter.
Reply Quote
How about Starcraft 1 Zeratul to SC2 Zeratul:

SC1: [enraged against the Conclave] "You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities... Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you've built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which your precious Conclave shall awaken, finding themselves drowned in a greater nightmare."

SC2: "The Prophecy......."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]