Diablo® III

D2 dialogue vs D3 dialogue

I sense most of you might have failed at the game of life and are bitter about it.

Do people who point out that someone is now churning out dismally low quality work really make you so angry that you have to accuse them of having no lives? How high is YOUR horse?
Reply Quote
Yes, it pisses me off to no end. The guy probably thinks he did a decent job of it. It's not perfect, but is it acceptable in comparison to other games? I like to think so. It's not a high horse, it's called being a voice for people who actually appreciate the time and effort put into these games. Some guy probably spent a year of his life doing nothing more than designing the barrels and crates in the game. But nobody ever wants to come on a forum and say good job on this or that. It's always waaaaahhhhh I'm a little baby who has a sense of entitlement and rage when they don't make things the way I want!

Every forum topic, I can find innumerable posts about people !@#$%ing about their classes, ^-*!@ing about inferno, #$%^-ing about the graphics, or the story, or random gameplay element #252. It takes an hour just to find someone say "I like X about the game" even though millions are playing and enjoying.

Dismally low quality work? In comparison to say, sitting in our collective asses playing 85 hours in one week? Sorry if you think I'm on a high horse. Just sick and tired of the vocal minority getting their way in every damn game.
Reply Quote
My favorite Blizzard dialogue of all time is the Overmind to Kerrigan in SC1. The sound and tone of the Overmind's voice was absolutely incredible.

"Awaken my child and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind, the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me."
Reply Quote
D2 Tyrael: Fool! You have just ensured the doom of this world. You cannot even begin to imagine what you've set in motion this day. Go to the Temple of Light, in the eastern city of Kurast. There you will find the gate to Hell opened before you. You must find the courage to step through that gate, Marius. Take the stone you hold to the Hellforge, where it will be destroyed. Now run! Take the stone and run!

D3 Tyrael: You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this - to protect the innocent! But if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother!

---

D2 Diablo: Not even death can save you from me!

D3 Diablo: Take one last look at your shining Heaven, Imperius. For soon, nothing of it shall remain but my laughter.

this is a fair comparison i think
Reply Quote
Dismally low quality work? In comparison to say, sitting in our collective asses playing 85 hours in one week?

Why does it matter if we're all sitting on our asses? Metzen's job is to write and design the plot. He didn't do a good job with that (he also did a pretty abysmal job in SC2, another recent big Blizzard release) so he's getting criticism. This is the nature of criticism.
Reply Quote
D2 story was not that good, but at least, it was not annoying, pathetic and laughable. Now i feel i'm playing the Twilight of videogames
Reply Quote
D2 Tyrael: Fool! You have just ensured the doom of this world. You cannot even begin to imagine what you've set in motion this day. Go to the Temple of Light, in the eastern city of Kurast. There you will find the gate to Hell opened before you. You must find the courage to step through that gate, Marius. Take the stone you hold to the Hellforge, where it will be destroyed. Now run! Take the stone and run!

D3 Tyrael: You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this - to protect the innocent! But if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother!

---

D2 Diablo: Not even death can save you from me!

D3 Diablo: Take one last look at your shining Heaven, Imperius. For soon, nothing of it shall remain but my laughter.

I must be doing something wrong, because I liked both of those pieces of dialogue from D3.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
05/26/2012 04:02 PMPosted by RufusWalrus
D2 story was not that good, but at least, it was not annoying, pathetic and laughable. Now i feel i'm playing the Twilight of videogames

D1 had very little memorable dialogue between characters. The narration was all it had going for it. The dialogue that did exist between characters was sparse at best, weighing heavily on one-liners to sate the player's literary obsession.

D2 added much more characters, thus more dialogue between characters. However, the characters still remained unmemorable. Again, the dialogue that did exist was sparse, but at least there was more characters to talk to.

D3 traded drawn-out narration for character dialogue (or a least attempted to create a balance), and had little lore books hidden around the game to tease and insight you. Characters had a lot to say in this game. And as far as everyone is concerned, the game is not over, so the story will be riddled with plot holes and cliffhangers to pave way for expansions.

All of the character dialogue and narration was completely optional and if you didn't take time out to listen to the dialogue or narration, the attachment was non-existent. You don't even have to care, because the game gives you the option not to. It's a game that uses a story to push itself, not an interactive book that uses gameplay to push its story. If you choose not to take time out and absorb the dialogue/narration/lore, don't come to the forums complaining.

You didn't have to play D1 to play or understand D2, and you don't have to play either to play or understand D3. The journal feature did a fantastic job at both informing you and teasing you of the game's lore.

The only thing I will agree is that with each game more and more cheesy literary devices seem to be added in an attempt to confuse or delude the player from getting too paranoid or upset concerning "what if"s and plot holes.
Edited by ImpTaimer#1705 on 5/26/2012 5:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/26/2012 04:52 PMPosted by SeriousTable
I must be doing something wrong, because I liked both of those pieces of dialogue from D3.

I did too. Many of the game's best lines come from its cinematics.

Azmodan's speech about the Black Soulstone is interesting in that he can be interpreted as speaking to either Leah or Diablo.
Reply Quote
I can see what you see not.
Vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone,
Whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be,
Shadows move where light should be.
Out of darkness, out of mind,
Cast down into the Halls of the Blind.
Reply Quote
The worst was the spider Demon of Lust. For a lusting demon she was such a prude and conservative. And the whole taunting while she was creeping you from the roof.

- Lust Babe : I wait for youuuuuuuuuu... I cannnnn`t wait for our FIGHT!!

- Hero : babe .. Say something nasty too me!!

- Lust babe : Cannot darling . But Ill wait for youuuu.. HIHIHIHIH

- Her0 : Oh sure .. Let`s me destroy and pwn every member of your pathethic army and wait for me. Because deep inside you know how much of a threat you`re going to be..

- Lust babe : Sniffle ..

The only part I enjoyed was the Spider fight.. The music and the creeping was awesome. (In act 1)

here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND94Hq5dovo
Edited by Fishu#1741 on 5/26/2012 7:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
D3
Tyrael: Thank you for restoring my will to fight! I'll never stop fighting demons... unless of course there are any demons through this particular door. For no apparent reason I will not help you fight Diablo. It's the rise of man or something.
Reply Quote
05/26/2012 10:52 AMPosted by Chrono
I sense most of you might have failed at the game of life and are bitter about it.

Do people who point out that someone is now churning out dismally low quality work really make you so angry that you have to accuse them of having no lives? How high is YOUR horse?

Cheesy Story does not equal low quality.

Is the story and dialogue bad? Yes. Is the game very good despite that? Yes.
Reply Quote
You say this:

but then you say this:

Is the story and dialogue bad? Yes.

I'm getting a mixed message from you here.
Reply Quote
You say this:

but then you say this:

Is the story and dialogue bad? Yes.

I'm getting a mixed message from you here.

What I mean, is that when your product is comprised of a lot more than story, a bad story does not make the rest of the product bad. Yes, the story is bad, but everything else (game mechanics, level design, etc) is very good. I say right in my post that the game is still good, despite how bad the writing is. Just as a great story can redeem shoddy gameplay, great gameplay can redeem bad writing.
Reply Quote
What I mean, is that when your product is comprised of a lot more than story, a bad story does not make the rest of the product bad. Yes, the story is bad, but everything else (game mechanics, level design, etc) is very good. I say right in my post that the game is still good, despite how bad the writing is. Just as a great story can redeem shoddy gameplay, great gameplay can redeem bad writing.

I think most people who post criticism of the story acknowledge that the gameplay and the game overall are more than enough to redeem a terrible story. The argument is that the STORY is terrible, not that the entire GAME is terrible. The rest of the product is fine, at least in my opinion, but I really wish Blizzard would put more effort into their storytelling.
Reply Quote
Diablo II's story in general is so much more powerful than Diablo III.

Just watch D2's intro (which btw, is a whopping seven minutes). Marius' conversation with "Tyrael", the creepy sanitorium replete with cackling echoes, was friggin' masterful.

The dialogue was top notch, the narration was amazing. The whole intro will forever be in my top video game scenes, along with the Baal reveal at the end which just shuts it down.

Diablo III had the chance do so something just as good, especially given the material of a major betrayal from a series-spanning guide. Instead, they flubbed it and everything felt campy, like Blizzard has made so many of these Sword 'n Sorcery games that they no longer take it seriously.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]