Diablo® III

D2 dialogue vs D3 dialogue

"I stood in the doorway between the darkness and the light. What was left of my sanity implored me not to enter. But that voice was just a whisper now".

It's not from the game per se; it's from yet another pointless cutscene featuring Marius.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 6/6/2012 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
you think these are bad check out my thread http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5639237115
Reply Quote
31 Human Rogue
06/06/2012 01:17 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
"I stood in the doorway between the darkness and the light. What was left of my sanity implored me not to enter. But that voice was just a whisper now".

It's not from the game per se; it's from yet another pointless cutscene featuring Marius.

Your credibility rating has officially reached 0. Even if you hated D2, it cannot be denied that the cutscenes in D2 are a part of the game and they play a HUGE role in the telling of the story. Period, the end.
Reply Quote
D2's cutscenes focus mostly on Marius, and everything about him is ultimately irrelevant, so you can safely skip the cutscenes and focus on what the NPCs have to tell you instead.

Ever since WC3, however, all Blizzard cutscenes are extremely relevant to the plot.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 6/6/2012 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
31 Human Rogue
06/06/2012 05:41 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
D2's cutscenes focus mostly on Marius, and everything about him is ultimately irrelevant, so you can safely skip the cutscenes and focus on what the NPCs have to tell you instead.

Lol.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/06/2012 05:43 PMPosted by Vaizel

Lol.

He's right about Marius. But in D3 I'd argue the Heaven's Fall cutscene was not relevant to the story. But I'd also say that the end of the Scourge campaign's cinematic isn't releveant. In general, they have been since WC3 but there are notable exceptions.
Reply Quote
The Scourge campaign's cinematic is kinda relevant, as it shows Archimonde single-handedly destroying Dalaran. It may not be as important as Arthas killing his father or Hellscream vanquishing Mannoroth, but in a plot about a cataclysmic invasion, it's good to see that kind of stuff. In fact, I think it's pretty much the only cutscene that depicts the Burning Legion destroying anything major.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/06/2012 06:00 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
The Scourge campaign's cinematic is kinda relevant, as it shows Archimonde single-handedly destroying Dalaran. It may not be as important as Arthas killing his father or Hellscream vanquishing Mannoroth, but in a plot about a cataclysmic invasion, it's good to see that kind of stuff. In fact, I think it's pretty much the only cutscene that depicts the Burning Legion destroying anything major.

Yes, but it isn't relevant to the overall story. We were given the impression both before and after what the Burning Legion is all about. It reinforces that point by making Archimonde destroy something, but it wasn't really all that relevant.

Don't get me wrong. I like it. But even if they added something like "And now we turn our attention... to the west. To our old enemies" it would've been enough to progress the plot and be relevant. As it was, you could skip the cinematic and not miss out on almost anything.
Reply Quote
That's true, but I still consider it more relevant to the story than following some random guy that has nothing to do with the story. At least, seeing Archimonde getting some payback feels like an accomplishment - as summoning him has been your main goal throughout the Undead campaign.
Reply Quote
Has anyone mentioned the bastion's keep footsoldier? Some of them sound slow and retarded. Seriously, if you have not heard them, I urge you to go to Act 3 and hear the footsoldiers talk.

I am talking about the footsoldiers that are on the floor and get hit by the meteors and the footsoldiers that are fighting as basically just fodder.

Speaking of Bastion's Keep, there's also this little exchange:

Child (to your passing character): "Stab those bloody demons in the !@#$!"
Parent: "!!!"
Child: "I learned that from Captain Whathisname!"

That made me giggle. There is plenty of good dialogue in the game...just not where it needs to be, on the major characters. Their best dialogue, as some have pointed out, seems to be in the cinematics.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 10:18 PMPosted by Scorch
It's because Blizzard North was trying to maintain a very Biblical atmosphere and so they copied that sort of language, whereas now Blizzard wanted it to have it's own flavor. Sadly, that flavor is full of distinct hints of cheddar. They tried to make the villains sound overconfident in the face of your character's bad-assery because they had no reason to expect a human could do anything to them, but it came off as arrogant and incompetent. Honestly if you look at the story, there are some nice plot points and interesting story threads, but the dialogue kind of ruins it all. They made the gameplay and art for mature audiences but wrote the character lines for 10 year olds.

Amen!

I HATE Diablo 3's dialogue. HATE HATE HAAAAAAAAAATE!!!!

And I'm absolutely DISGUSTED to see that Blizzard has nothing to say but "Eh, we disagree. We've received mostly positive feedback" Really? Where? WHERE?! I'd love for you to prove to me that you've received "mostly positive" feedback.

I'm using every single damn muscle in my body not to explode with rage at this garbage.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/06/2012 08:52 PMPosted by Jahaga
And I'm absolutely DISGUSTED to see that Blizzard has nothing to say but "Eh, we disagree. We've received mostly positive feedback" Really? Where? WHERE?! I'd love for you to prove to me that you've received "mostly positive" feedback.

You realize that these forums are a vast, vast minority compared to the several million people playing the game, right?
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 09:02 PMPosted by Melyria
You realize that these forums are a vast, vast minority compared to the several million people playing the game, right?

I'm well aware.

However, if the majority of people are just playing the game... then how exactly did Blizzard get this supposed feedback that is mostly positive about the story?

It sounds exactly like a heaping dose of bull!@#$.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/06/2012 09:27 PMPosted by Jahaga

I'm well aware.

However, if the majority of people are just playing the game... then how exactly did Blizzard get this supposed feedback that is mostly positive about the story?

It sounds exactly like a heaping dose of bull!@#$.

Blizzard can contact independants, critics, gaming mags or view other forums or websites. The Battlenet forums are not the be all, end all.
Reply Quote
Jahaga's words. WHO is giving them positive feedback?
OOH I GET IT - The people who do not write in the forums don't complain, so Blizzard "ASSUMES" that counts as positive.
Making the majority of the players happy about it, since they're not actively complaining. Nice.
Did they ever make a poll? It's just an assumption.
Everyone I see has at least 3 problems with the lore, the dialogues. The most common?
1) Belial's honesty.
2) Azmodan's cunning tactics.
3) Diablo's TERROAAAR.
4) MAGHDA/RITA REPULSA/FAIRY QUEEN.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/06/2012 10:15 PMPosted by Taraknis
OOH I GET IT - The people who do not write in the forums don't complain, so Blizzard "ASSUMES" that counts as positive.

Or people who have experience critiquing stories and games. Or they view other forums who have more traffic than these ones, since the number of posters on this forum is abysmal.

Making the majority of the players happy about it, since they're not actively complaining. Nice.
Did they ever make a poll? It's just an assumption.

Its hillarious because right now you're making blind, frenzied assumptions about how they gather information.

Everyone I see has at least 3 problems with the lore, the dialogues. The most common?
1) Belial's honesty.
2) Azmodan's cunning tactics.
3) Diablo's TERROAAAR.
4) MAGHDA/RITA REPULSA/FAIRY QUEEN.

First, that's 4 problems, not 3.

Second, a vast majority of people I talk to, from a wide variety of backgrounds in gaming, generally enjoyed the story but had some faults with it. Some had issue with some things you listed, some had others. Not giving a game a 10/10 does not equate to it being horrible.

Third, I think you need to calm down.
Reply Quote
People who have experience... Does that mean they're making this game fit for critics, instead of a general audience? I apologize, my personal experience differs - I've not met a single person online yet who tells me they enjoyed it.
The poll thing was simply an idea regarding how they could in an honest way gather information, considering, well, 1 out of 5 people in the forums deffends it, and I don't see how others would voice their opinion. Critics and such = / = the general audience.
On the last point; I said "At least 3 problems"; I named 4.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/06/2012 10:26 PMPosted by Taraknis
People who have experience... Does that mean they're making this game fit for critics, instead of a general audience?

Lets be honest here, if they were makign it for the general audience how likely would it be there would be a story in the first place?

And no, they're not making the game for critics, but critics tend to pick things apart and actually examine them. They tend to have writing skills and education, be it formal or practical, and they're able to piece things together. Players miss events, have a lot of misconceptions, etc.

The poll thing was simply an idea regarding how they could in an honest way gather information,

How? Again, unless they put it at the log in screen in game, how would they get an accurate representation? A minority of people visit the site and forums.

Critics and such = / = the general audience.

You're right. The general audience we've seen repeatedly don't both to check the actual lore, read the in game conversations, bandwagon and immediately fall to nostalgia.

I wonder. If there WAS a poll that went up and the vast majority voted that they liked the story overall, would that cause a number of these people who shout about the poor story to suddenly become silent?
Reply Quote
Are we all from generation entitlement or what?

I understand what everybody is saying about some of the dialogue being over the top, but asking a man who put his creative energies into a project to resign from his career because of perceived mistakes? The man no doubt has a family who he likely sacrificed considerable amounts of time with to create the lore and you want him to step down because Diablo didn't say: Not even death will save you from me!

If it wasn't for Chris Metzen, we wouldn't even be able to enjoy any of these worlds. The fact that you take time out of your day to criticize him shows you care enough about the world he created and the lore, so at least offer him a modicum of respect for what he has achieved with his life work.

And I'm not a fanboy of Blizzard. I just have a soft spot for people who get off their lazy asses in life to do something other than menial pursuits, people that invest their time and energy into creative projects instead of raging on forums about successful people.

Waaaahhh I want Jay Wilson to quit because he ruined D3 gameplay! Waaaahhh I want Chris Metzen to quit because he can't write!

Ok, then put down the monster energy drink, peel your sweaty !@# off your chair, get off your computer and go start your own game company and see if your vast experience as an armchair game designer outweighs their multiple decades worth of creating award winning games.

Critiquing someone's work and suggesting improvements is fine. Asking them to resign because you're mad is crossing the line. I sense most of you might have failed at the game of life and are bitter about it. Too bad you can't reroll into more compassionate understanding people. Paying $60 for a game doesn't mystically entitle you to demand perfection.

I logged in just to say how awesome this post is. very well said.
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 10:14 PMPosted by Melyria
Blizzard can contact independants, critics, gaming mags or view other forums or websites.

They are not the majority. Your argument is invalid.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]