Diablo® III

D2 dialogue vs D3 dialogue

I wonder. If there WAS a poll that went up and the vast majority voted that they liked the story overall, would that cause a number of these people who shout about the poor story to suddenly become silent?

Well, we're not all shouting or calling for Chris Metzen's head. ;)

In my own opinion, it's not the story that's flawed, it's the delivery. Most of us had guessed that Deckard Cain would breathe his digital last during the D3 storyline, but a lot of us were shocked at how callously this was handled. We didn't expect him to go down fighting while defending Leah/Tristram/his book collection against a horde of ravening hellspawn, but to have him murdered by a poorly conceived minor villain is just...wrong. At least have him slip away peacefully after whispering some vital clue to those gathered around his deathbed.

And Tyrael. Unlike others I think his choice to abandon his heavenly powers was awesome and awesomely portrayed...in the cinematic. Then he got into the game and immediately became "eat up with the dumbass", as the locals here like to say. Even as a recently retired angel, shouldn't he have guessed at Adria's true motivations, Leah's true heritage? Shouldn't he have been warning the player? There's a difference between suspending your disbelief and throwing it out the window.

That's just two examples I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

;)
Reply Quote
I'd like that poll in the actual game for players...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/07/2012 06:31 AMPosted by Jahaga
Blizzard can contact independants, critics, gaming mags or view other forums or websites.

They are not the majority. Your argument is invalid.

Source please.

Well, we're not all shouting or calling for Chris Metzen's head. ;)

There are multiple threads I've seen over the last couple weeks demanding Chris Metzen resign.

In my own opinion, it's not the story that's flawed, it's the delivery. Most of us had guessed that Deckard Cain would breathe his digital last during the D3 storyline, but a lot of us were shocked at how callously this was handled. We didn't expect him to go down fighting while defending Leah/Tristram/his book collection against a horde of ravening hellspawn, but to have him murdered by a poorly conceived minor villain is just...wrong. At least have him slip away peacefully after whispering some vital clue to those gathered around his deathbed.

Which is a valid concern. Why do people think Blizzard hasn't heard this? Jay said 'mostly positive'. Not entirely positive. There are things Blizzard are aware of that didn't go over well.

Even as a recently retired angel, shouldn't he have guessed at Adria's true motivations, Leah's true heritage? Shouldn't he have been warning the player? There's a difference between suspending your disbelief and throwing it out the window.

He really didn't have any reason to doubt Adria, especially considering how her boasts and claims were backed up the entire way. People often use meta information and hindsight to justify hating a character's actions or to call a character stupid, without looking at it from the character's perspective as the events unfold.

06/07/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Taraknis
I'd like that poll in the actual game for players...

I'm curious then. Why doesn't every video game studio do this? Maybe it is because they have ways of gathering this information without inconveniencing the player with multiple polls.

It is beyond unprofessional to have your end credits roll and have a poll pop up and say "How was this? How was that? How did you enjoy that? What did you think of this?"
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 07:58 AMPosted by Melyria
There are multiple threads I've seen over the last couple weeks demanding Chris Metzen resign.

Yeah, I've seen 'em. I don't agree with them, because I assume there's a lot more that goes into developing a game than writing a story. I'd love the opportunity to see how it actually is done, someday.

It is beyond unprofessional to have your end credits roll and have a poll pop up and say "How was this? How was that? How did you enjoy that? What did you think of this?"

Curiously, that's exactly what is being done in the Guild Wars 2 beta. Of course, it's the beta, I don't imagine we'll see such things once the game is released live. Kind of startled me the first time I saw it, though. I assume such polls did not exist in the D3 betas?
Reply Quote
70 Blood Elf Paladin
D2: Baaa...

D3: BAAA...

Easily the most satisfying dialogue and has remained. They didn't mess up the goat noises, that's all that matters.
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 08:25 AMPosted by Tanith
Curiously, that's exactly what is being done in the Guild Wars 2 beta. Of course, it's the beta, I don't imagine we'll see such things once the game is released live. Kind of startled me the first time I saw it, though. I assume such polls did not exist in the D3 betas?

Was the poll about the game as a whole or merely about the plot?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue

I never played the beta. However every WoW expansion beta offered polls at random after quests dungeons or even just hanging around in a zone, asking for input.

I'm talking about putting a poll into your finished game.
Reply Quote
D2: Not even death can save you from me.
D3: ..TERRORRRAWW..
Reply Quote
Source please.

Where's yours? Lol

This is not one of them.

I'm curious then. Why doesn't every video game studio do this? Maybe it is because they have ways of gathering this information without inconveniencing the player with multiple polls.

Source please?

It's unprofessional to get the most accurate feedback on your game?
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Warrior
Diablo II:

Ormus - "You have done well, my friend. Your courage and valor are an inspiration to us all. But now the time has come to face those responsible for the evil that has stifled our land. You must destroy the High Council of Zakarum! Long ago, these elders were charged with the stewardship of Mephisto, the Lord of Hatred, who was imprisoned within the Guardian Tower. Through the generations, these pious men slowly fell more and more under the sway of Mephisto's malevolent power and the Council became an evil mockery of its former glory. It is Mephisto's Hatred that has corrupted Zakarum and turned its devout followers into paranoid fanatics. That is why you must travel to the Temple City of Travincal and slay the Council. Once they are gone, Mephisto's hold over this land and its people will be broken!"

Warriv - "Greetings, stranger. I'm not surprised to see your kind here.
Many adventurers have traveled this way since the recent troubles began.

No doubt you've heard about the tragedy that befell Tristram.
Some say that Diablo, the Lord of Terror, walks the world again.

I dont' know if I believe that, but a Dark Wanderer did travel this route few a weeks ago.
He was headed east to the mountain pass guarded by the rogue monastery.

Maybe it's nothing, but evil seems to have trailed in his wake.
You see, shortly after the Wanderer went through, the Monastery's Gates
to the pass were closed and strange creatures began ravaging the countryside.

Until it's safer outside the camp and the gates are re-opened, I'll remain here with my caravan.
I hope to leave for Lut Gholein before the shadow that fell over Tristram consume us all.
If you're still alive then, I'll take you along.

You should talk to Akara, too. She seems to be the leader of this camp. Maybe she can tell you more."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Diablo III:

Captain Rumford - "It fell on the old cathedral. There was only one survivor—Leah. You should speak with her."

Leoric - "You will never defeat me,bwahahahahaha"
Edited by CmdrShepard#1204 on 6/7/2012 12:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Why are people talking down Marius in D2, the way the story was told through him was one of my favorite parts of the D2 story. If they did something similar with Leah in D3 people would probably like her a little more - you know it might have provided some char development that made her seem like something other than naive and annoying.
Reply Quote
This is actually the 1st Blizzard game I've played (so that means no WC, D1/2 etc) and I gotta say, who wrote the main story and dialog for the bosses? Cause Maghda, Asmodan and Diablo feel like villains from a cartoon show where they always tell you their plans and what they're doing/gonna do when they have the upper hand.

@JohnnyZeWolf idk how you think this storyline is good cause it really feels like its written by a kid that watches a lot of hero type shows where the villain always conveniently tells the hero what they're doing. I mean it feels like something that took a 12 year old a few hours to come up with.

If you were to give me the storyline+script before I played this I could've told you it was crap and actually give a bunch of suggestions to improve it. Lord of Lies that can't make up a good lie, the tactician of the burning hells telling you his plans, i mean WTF!? I'm sure that your average high schooler thats into fiction stories (but not something like Twilight) could've come up with a better story given the type of setting Diablo is.

Edit: Though whoever made the dialog for the side characters did a good job. I'm actually using different followers JUST to hear what they say and also I stand around town sometimes to listen to what people say.
I mean you guys remember this thread?http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5578592114
Edited by Kurai#1892 on 6/7/2012 1:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/07/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Jahaga
This is not one of them.

And yet they exist. And a number of common posters agreed with the sentiment.

Source please?

I'm not stating a fact.

It's unprofessional to get the most accurate feedback on your game?

So why doesn't every online game do this?

Diablo III:

Captain Rumford - "It fell on the old cathedral. There was only one survivor—Leah. You should speak with her."

Leoric - "You will never defeat me,bwahahahahaha"

Unfairly comparing only hurts your own argument.
Reply Quote
There were some really memorable text crawls in Diablo 1 & Diablo 2, and their decision to transition to more cinematic conversations as a means of making the game into a more on-the-rails story-driven game... well. It didn't work, the story fell flat on it's face.

The problem is in the main narrative, and it boggles my mind at how the narrative could be so clumsy when they actively made a decision to make it a more important part of the game.

But to try and defend Blizzard for their poor story by writing it off as an unimportant part of the game is a joke. They specifically stated that their intention was to make the narrative more important. And they failed.
Reply Quote
On the contrary, they succeeded in making the narrative more important.

Whether you like the result or not is a completely different matter.
Reply Quote

I really don't blame them. Any way, it's irrelevant to this thread. Chris Metzen wasn't even mentioned in the here until SecretSumo arrived on his high horse and put words in our mouths.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/07/2012 03:20 PMPosted by Jahaga

I really don't blame them. Any way, it's irrelevant to this thread. Chris Metzen wasn't even mentioned in the here until SecretSumo arrived on his high horse and put words in our mouths.

It wasn't irrelevant to his point though, that people are not being overly fair or open minded. He never said people in this thread were calling for Metzen to be fired, if I remember what he wrote correctly. But he was commenting on the atmosphere of this forum in general.
Reply Quote
If Azmodan was a forum member he would be get banned for spamming like hell.
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 01:11 PMPosted by Kurai
Lord of Lies that can't make up a good lie, the tactician of the burning hells telling you his plans, i mean WTF!? I'm sure that your average high schooler thats into fiction stories (but not something like Twilight) could've come up with a better story given the type of setting Diablo is.

The Lord of Lies took over an entire city by posing as their leader, and Azmodan is Pride incarnate.

Even an average high schooler should know better than to rely on tired irrelevant Twilight analogies.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 6/7/2012 6:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes, it pisses me off to no end. The guy probably thinks he did a decent job of it. It's not perfect, but is it acceptable in comparison to other games? I like to think so. It's not a high horse, it's called being a voice for people who actually appreciate the time and effort put into these games. Some guy probably spent a year of his life doing nothing more than designing the barrels and crates in the game. But nobody ever wants to come on a forum and say good job on this or that. It's always waaaaahhhhh I'm a little baby who has a sense of entitlement and rage when they don't make things the way I want!

Every forum topic, I can find innumerable posts about people !@#$%ing about their classes, ^-*!@ing about inferno, #$%^-ing about the graphics, or the story, or random gameplay element #252. It takes an hour just to find someone say "I like X about the game" even though millions are playing and enjoying.

Dismally low quality work? In comparison to say, sitting in our collective asses playing 85 hours in one week? Sorry if you think I'm on a high horse. Just sick and tired of the vocal minority getting their way in every damn game.

Why do you think you are entitled to represent the developers? Have you even talked to them? Do you know their disposition? Are you capable of representing their cases clearly to the people on this forum who are CLEARLY unsatisfied with the quality of the product that they purchased? You want to be the voice of people who appreciate this game? Ok, go ahead, but remember that the developers were paid to do their job, nothing more. It's not like they were volunteering or sacrificing their own well-beings to produce this game. They were fairly compensated, and if their product is sub-par, then they are the responsible ones. Who else? Is it suddenly OUR fault for not finding the decency in our minds to appreciate dog poop (excuse my language) that we paid money for? I just don't understand that.

And if you truly think some guy really spent a year of his life creating nothing more than barrels and crates for this game, well then he has got to be the slowest worker alive and should have been fired. He would be a lot happier if he finds something that he's better at. On the other hand, if what you are saying is even true, then he was compensated for a year's worth of salary for doing nothing more than a simple task that would take an average person a couple of hours or days. So again, I don't see why I should be thankful for that. You make it sound like video game developers had an awful time creating this game and somehow we should be grateful. Well, it's an indoor office job with A/C running on constantly and they get average salary, so I don't see what's so bad about it? In the meanwhile there are people with minimum wage that are lifting heavy stuff or working outside or in hazardous conditions. Shouldn't you be thankful for them? I just don't see why I should support the people who ruined one of my favorite video game series, especially since the lead designer is so oblivious and arrogant, and all he does is "disagree"
Edited by Nemato#1130 on 7/26/2012 8:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]