Diablo® III

D2 dialogue vs D3 dialogue

That's true, but I still consider it more relevant to the story than following some random guy that has nothing to do with the story. At least, seeing Archimonde getting some payback feels like an accomplishment - as summoning him has been your main goal throughout the Undead campaign.

..uh... have you even played Diablo 2? Do you even know who marius is?

Marius WAS the storytelling, some might argue he was the most interesting character, he certainly had some outstanding dialogue. Remove marius from the story of Diablo 2... suddenly you have more holes than a wiffle ball, and the plot becomes so detached without a mortal soul to relate with.

You're a troll, you've got to be to make statements like that.
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 08:25 AMPosted by Tanith
There are multiple threads I've seen over the last couple weeks demanding Chris Metzen resign.

Yeah, I've seen 'em. I don't agree with them, because I assume there's a lot more that goes into developing a game than writing a story. I'd love the opportunity to see how it actually is done, someday.

It is beyond unprofessional to have your end credits roll and have a poll pop up and say "How was this? How was that? How did you enjoy that? What did you think of this?"

Curiously, that's exactly what is being done in the Guild Wars 2 beta. Of course, it's the beta, I don't imagine we'll see such things once the game is released live. Kind of startled me the first time I saw it, though. I assume such polls did not exist in the D3 betas?

Actually to my understanding, this sort of thing is suppose to continue even after the game's release. One of the reasons the Guild Wars 2 team is so highly praised by their fans, they actually seem to listen to their followers! *GASP!*
Reply Quote
Anyone try to rush past the guy who always said "You shall not pass..." and skip the boring segments of ACT 2 in diablo 2?
Reply Quote
epic:

not even death can save you from me.

Your too late WAHAHAHA

GLORRRRRRRRRRIOUS!!!

funny:

the prophet did not mention what a bore you can be.

What riches! (2 stacks of 22 and 13 gold.)

if we stand here much longer i am going to rob you. just so you know....

i can open this gate for you... WAHAHAHAHAHHA....

act 4 dialog

-- but d3 boss fight music was good.
Reply Quote
D2 Diablo: Not even death can save you from me!

D3 Diablo: Take one last look at your shining Heaven, Imperius. For soon, nothing of it shall remain but my laughter.

If that were all Diablo had said in Diablo 3, nobody would be complaining.

But she goes on. And on. And on. And on. ... And on.

How tastes your fear, nephalem?
Edited by Bianary#1174 on 7/28/2012 3:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
D2: Not even death can save you from me.

D3: "You won't be able to save the Angel of Hope"
*Saves the Angel of Hope*
"Okay, you saved the Angel of Hope but it doesn't matter, you won't be able to destroy my gates"
*Destroys gate*
"Okay, you destroyed one gate but the other won't fall"
*Destroys second gate*
"Okay, you destroyed the second gate but..."

I could cry reading this... what abysmal creature did this to the Diablo game... who in the name of god thinks that is cool?
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 10:18 PMPosted by Scorch
How is it "rose colored glasses" when the dialogue is readily available to be compared? Name me ONE instance in D3 where the dialogue is similar to how it was in, for instance, the Moldy Tome in Diablo 2.

It's because Blizzard North was trying to maintain a very Biblical atmosphere and so they copied that sort of language, whereas now Blizzard wanted it to have it's own flavor. Sadly, that flavor is full of distinct hints of cheddar. They tried to make the villains sound overconfident in the face of your character's bad-assery because they had no reason to expect a human could do anything to them, but it came off as arrogant and incompetent. Honestly if you look at the story, there are some nice plot points and interesting story threads, but the dialogue kind of ruins it all. They made the gameplay and art for mature audiences but wrote the character lines for 10 year olds.
No not "kind of" it really ruins it, it hacks it and it slashes it, it pulls it’s brains out and eats it
Reply Quote
My favorite Diablo 2 quote isn't often cited:

"Now you know what I seek, Marius. It is my brother."

Diablo says this after some exposition about what happened to Baal. From this statement, and Diablo's tone of voice, we know at least one thing about him: he cares about his brothers. I know the three of them are evil, but they were all imprisoned and Diablo has enough compassion to go free his brothers at the first opportunity. After all, being trapped in a soulstone for 200 years must not have been pleasant.

At that moment in D2, Diablo was no longer a generic villain, he became a real 3-dimensional character. A villain with motives that wasn't the generic "I'm bad and you're good and we're supposed to fight."

D3 hit the giant reset button on everything we ever got to know about Diablo.
Reply Quote
I would very much appreciate if everyone re watched this praised Blizzard cinematic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PVrThqhlLA&feature=related

This is Grom killing Mannoroth. Now I can't disagree that the cinematic was awesome, but pay attention to what Mannoroth is saying. Ill provide some quotes if you dont want to watch.

0:24 I knew you would come *evil laugh*
1:24 A worthy effort but futile *evil laugh*

Seems just like Diablo...
Same old Blizzard
Reply Quote
Although I must say that other than that the writing is phenominal, and yet it is the same person. Don't really know what happened.
Reply Quote
it's not only him now. company has grown bringing lots of other ppl. and 1 person cant be creative forever.
Reply Quote
I totally agree with you. You said most of what I was thinking.

I remember when I was young, playing Blizzard games was really fun, not only because of the graphics or gameplay but also because the storyline was seen as an important part in the game, no less important than the others components. This balance between the graphics/game-play/storyline was in fact what made Blizzard's games so good to play.

I used to read the lore of every game with excitement and wait for a sequel to see how the things would end.
Diablo, Stacraft, Warcraft - all of these were indeed great games, until recent times, when Blizzard stop caring about the game itself and more about the economic profit.
I was disappointed with WOW ever since "The Wrath of the Lich King" and I stopped playing WOW when I hear that "Mist of Pandaria" would be the next WOW expansion. Pandas in warcraft??? loool. Then, I bought SC2 with hope that the game would be as good as the previous had been. I admit the graphics and gameplay were great, but the story was not the same (although not as bad as D3 and WOW). Still I'm not sure if it will be worthy to buy the next sequel.
And now D3 and... it all repeats again - Great graphics and gameplay but the story is for, how can I spell it, "special people".
And I know that JohnnyZeWolf and Melryia are doing their jobs, promoting the game so I understand why they defend it so vigorously but really guys?!!!!
It's a shame to see Warcraft, Starcraft and now Diablo universe so easily destroyed only because Blizzard wants to do easy money.
I really hope that Blizzard changes their strategy but meanwhile I'm giving up playing Blizzard's games and I recommend you guys, that share my feelings, to do the same.
Of course this is just an opinion. =)
Reply Quote
And for goodness sake, I am a Barbarian but building my Demon Hunter character equipment and it would be nice to find a quiver once in a while...
Reply Quote
Why do you think you are entitled to represent the developers? Have you even talked to them? Do you know their disposition? Are you capable of representing their cases clearly to the people on this forum who are CLEARLY unsatisfied with the quality of the product that they purchased? You want to be the voice of people who appreciate this game? Ok, go ahead, but remember that the developers were paid to do their job, nothing more. It's not like they were volunteering or sacrificing their own well-beings to produce this game. They were fairly compensated, and if their product is sub-par, then they are the responsible ones. Who else? Is it suddenly OUR fault for not finding the decency in our minds to appreciate dog poop (excuse my language) that we paid money for? I just don't understand that.

And if you truly think some guy really spent a year of his life creating nothing more than barrels and crates for this game, well then he has got to be the slowest worker alive and should have been fired. He would be a lot happier if he finds something that he's better at. On the other hand, if what you are saying is even true, then he was compensated for a year's worth of salary for doing nothing more than a simple task that would take an average person a couple of hours or days. So again, I don't see why I should be thankful for that. You make it sound like video game developers had an awful time creating this game and somehow we should be grateful. Well, it's an indoor office job with A/C running on constantly and they get average salary, so I don't see what's so bad about it? In the meanwhile there are people with minimum wage that are lifting heavy stuff or working outside or in hazardous conditions. Shouldn't you be thankful for them? I just don't see why I should support the people who ruined one of my favorite video game series, especially since the lead designer is so oblivious and arrogant, and all he does is "disagree"

I totally agree with you. You said most of what I was thinking.

I remember when I was young, playing Blizzard games was really fun, not only because of the graphics or gameplay but also because the storyline was seen as an important part in the game, no less important than the others components. This balance between the graphics/game-play/storyline was in fact what made Blizzard's games so good to play.

I used to read the lore of every game with excitement and wait for a sequel to see how the things would end.
Diablo, Stacraft, Warcraft - all of these were indeed great games, until recent times, when Blizzard stop caring about the game itself and more about the economic profit.
I was disappointed with WOW ever since "The Wrath of the Lich King" and I stopped playing WOW when I heard that "Mist of Pandaria" would be the next WOW expansion. Pandas in warcraft??? really??? loool. Then, I bought SC2 with hope that the game would be as good as the previous had been. I admit the graphics and gameplay were great, but the story was not the same (although not as bad as D3 and WOW). Still I'm not sure if it will be worthy to buy the next sequel.
And now D3 and... it all repeats again - Great graphics and gameplay but the story is for, how can I spell it, "special people".
And I know that JohnnyZeWolf and Melryia are doing their jobs, promoting the game so I understand why they defend it so vigorously but really guys?!!!!
It's a shame to see Warcraft, Starcraft and now Diablo universe so easily destroyed only because Blizzard wants to do easy money.
I really hope that Blizzard changes their strategy but meanwhile I'm giving up playing Blizzard's games and I recommend you guys, who also share my opinion, to do the same.
Of course, as I said, this is just an opinion. =)
Edited by Kutzulo#2814 on 7/30/2012 5:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]