Diablo® III

Hacked? ... or not?

After reading all these posts about missing items and deleted characters, and being a victim myself, I'm starting to question that the integrity of Blizzards security protocols, if any, must be compromised. I'm not sure how such a large company can let such a thing happen when they plan on implementing a real world money auction house in game. I see this issue is not being addressed properly, and most definitely not promptly. It takes around half a day to hear back via support tickets and I have not even been able to be connected to a phone operator and the call ends almost always with an automated hang up (!@#$%es).

Diablo III has already been the victim of a mass hacking spree, and I can only see this progress to a point that will be incurable once money is involved... and that the missing items and money will be used to make real money via the in game real currency auction house.

I know Blizzard is aware of this situation and failing to comment upon it purposefully, as not to lose more of their gamer's as WoW users decline. But letting people take others belongings, virtual or not, and not fully righting what was wronged is dishonest, untrustworthy, unprofessional, utterly detestable, and soon quite possibly illegal when people's money gets involved.

When money gets involved it could lead to numerous law suits which could be the very end of Blizzard as we know it.

We are people, not pixels.
Our time is invaluable.
We demand justice.
Reply Quote
get in line/ hit up support/ wait forever /roll back a day/ change pass/ get authenticator pile of us in the same boat
Reply Quote

We are people, not pixels.
Our time is invaluable.
We demand justice.

Dude, really? Relax. They are people too. And with the number of bugs and issues they have to conquer, it's not an easy task. I've done a bit of technical troubleshooting and computer programming, and I gotta say, it's not always quick and easy. These things take time. If it's something that you're afraid of, try asking for a refund and close your account for now.

Am I saying Blizzard is in the right? Absolutely not. They had a lot of time to prepare, and they owe us an apology for the crap service and product we received, but !@#$ really hit the fan, and they're working on it.
Reply Quote
THEY'RE NOT PEOPLE, THEY'RE SNOWMEN!

I don't care what you've done, I've done !@#$ too, I am not a computer noob.
Blizzard is a big company with years of experience and a dedicated team for Diablo III.
They couldn't handle release day.
They couldn't handle the second day.
They still can't handle the auction house.
They all of the sudden have a huge, HUGE hacking problem that they won't address.
I did roll back. I even told them the exact time when I was last in control of my account before it happened and I still lost too much stuff for me to hold interest, not to mention my time, time I cannot regain by any means.
They are working too slowly, worried about the AH instead of their players accounts. Well guess what, they won't have any players soon to use the dumb %^-*ing auction has that has !@#$ search options and doesn't even %^-*ing work when they have already made a working AH on !@#$ing WoW they should know how to do it again. %^-*ing copy pasta ctrl + C ctrl + V.

I'm !@#$ing tired of this %^-*. I paid for this !@#$ in good faith that it worked. %^-*ing SWTOR is a better !@#$ing game then this and that game was %^-*. This is double !@#$!!
Edited by Ramenoodle#1997 on 5/24/2012 6:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The hacking is not as rampant as these forums are making it out to be. The problem with forums is that anyone playing the game, isn't on them. So seeing 40-50 topics about hacked accounts is far from a HUGE problem when millions of copies were sold. I am sorry that you lost time invested into this game though. If it makes you feel better, all you are missing is dying over and over again on inferno.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 07:00 PMPosted by Opiyum
The hacking is not as rampant as these forums are making it out to be. The problem with forums is that anyone playing the game, isn't on them. So seeing 40-50 topics about hacked accounts is far from a HUGE problem when millions of copies were sold. I am sorry that you lost time invested into this game though. If it makes you feel better, all you are missing is dying over and over again on inferno.

Not as rampant?

It may not even be hacks and just data corruption
Reply Quote
data corruption do not add strange people to your friendlist..
Reply Quote
The bottom line is that if Blizzard isn't going to take one of the most basic steps in securing their system -- distinguishing between upper and lower case letters for a password -- then they are not serious about security. Period.

It is one of the most basic, elementary, simplistic things you can do to add security to your systems.

05/24/2012 07:20 PMPosted by RaTTrap
data corruption do not add strange people to your friendlist..

But the person that compromised your account can invite his "friend" where he drops all your loot and gold and he gets it. That would add that person to your friendlist.
Edited by Vexacion#1455 on 5/24/2012 7:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Have you ever logged in with your webbrowser open?
Did you go to any website that sells gold or powerleveling or has hacks to download?
Have you gone to any fan websites (such as diablofans, diablowiki, diablo3.org)?

If you answered yes to any of those questions CONGRATULATIONS YOU WERE KEYLOGGED!

Did you have an authenticator? No you didn't because if you did you wouldn't have been hacked.

Sorry to be so snide about it, but it's just getting ridiculous how many people think that this issue is blizzard's fault and it 100% is not. I was hacked about 2 years ago when playing WoW and learned real quick after investigating just how easy it is to do.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Minaj
Sorry to be so snide about it, but it's just getting ridiculous how many people think that this issue is blizzard's fault and it 100% is not. I was hacked about 2 years ago when playing WoW and learned real quick after investigating just how easy it is to do.

I'm sorry to be so snide about this, but if you're saying that not having an authenticator is a guarantee of account compromise, then it is most certainly Blizzards fault for not requiring an authenticator to play since they are purposefully setting the stage for mass-hacks.
Edited by Vexacion#1455 on 5/24/2012 7:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Get this straight, people. No, it's not Blizzard's fault. The only hand Blizzard has in this is making a really popular game, meaning it's a prime target for hackers.

Someone who "hacked" your account could just have easily "hacked" your gmail, or hotmail, or whatever -- they just set up to look for Diablo 3 because there is a whole crapton of D3 logins happening right now.

Authenticators are not required. They're just a shortcut for people who don't know how to secure their systems.
Reply Quote
Did you have an authenticator? No you didn't because if you did you wouldn't have been hacked.

Okay, if I was keylogged then what good will an authenticator do? You have to type in the authenticator password which will also be recorded by the keylogger.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 06:32 PMPosted by Ramenoodle
I'm starting to question that the integrity of Blizzards security protocols

That's right.

Blame the problem on someone else.

Cry and whine until mommy gives you that new chocolate bar. It's her fault you dropped your last one after all, right?
Edited by SinisterSix#1331 on 5/24/2012 7:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
just got hacked....logged into my account and character was naked...items gone...funny thing is my Templar's items are still there...filed a ticket but haven't heard anything.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 07:26 PMPosted by PaladinAlpha
Authenticators are not required. They're just a shortcut for people who don't know how to secure their systems.

I'd be interested in your in-depth knowledge of system security and how specifically to secure systems against things like this.

I can't want to hear this. Please, share your grand knowledge with us.
Reply Quote
blizzard didn't get hacked. you did. and if you read the forums and think there is a lot of hacks, then you must not read forums much of MMO's etc. this is nothing.
Reply Quote
There was a vulnerability in Adobe Flash Player that was allowing hackers to backdoor access and keylog computers without the user ever knowing.

so if you enable flash on your internet browser..
So you can get a keylogger for free if you came across a malicious advertisement
Reply Quote

Okay, if I was keylogged then what good will an authenticator do? You have to type in the authenticator password which will also be recorded by the keylogger.
unless they are watching you real time and hit enter before you do, that won't hurt you. they would need a man-in-the-middle infection on your computer that interrupts your connection to the login server.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 07:31 PMPosted by Vexacion

I'd be interested in your in-depth knowledge of system security and how specifically to secure systems against things like this.

I can't want to hear this. Please, share your grand knowledge with us.

*shrug* Sure thing.

1) Use Firefox, run NoScript, and don't enable scripts on sites you don't trust. This will eliminate 99% of problems. (AdBlock helps too.)
2) Get a decent malware scanner (HijackThis is good but advanced, Spybot and Adaware are easier, Microsoft Security Essentials is ok) -- don't pay for anything -- and set it up to update automatically and scan every few days
3) Get ProcessExplorer and every now and then just take a look at the crap running on your system and see if anything looks suspicious.
4) Run a firewall. Windows Firewall is fine.
5) Password: 6 characters minimum, with letters, numbers, and punctuation. Change it every few months.
6) For extremely popular and valuable-account games like D3 and WoW, you really should use an e-mail address unique to those few games, and never use it anywhere else -- especially don't enter it into web forms. Gmail lets you use prefixes on your email; that's perfect for this kind of use.
7) Don't use the same password in two places. Develop some way of keeping this straight in your head. Some pattern or something.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Vexacion

I'm sorry to be so snide about this, but if you're saying that not having an authenticator is a guarantee of account compromise, then it is most certainly Blizzards fault for not requiring an authenticator to play since they are purposefully setting the stage for mass-hacks.

Oh, shut up.
Come live in the real world...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]