Diablo® III

Hacked? ... or not?

Did you have an authenticator? No you didn't because if you did you wouldn't have been hacked.

Sorry to be so snide about it, but it's just getting ridiculous how many people think that this issue is blizzard's fault and it 100% is not. I was hacked about 2 years ago when playing WoW and learned real quick after investigating just how easy it is to do.

Your an idiot... Go look at the pc gamer magazine articles about their very own getting hacked WITH AN AUTHENTICATOR...**GASPH* YEA that riiight... THEY USED ONE AND still got hacked.. I am so tired of all these script kiddies thinking they know it was a keylogger and that if only you had an authenticator going it wouldnt have happened that might be true IF IT WASNT SERVER SIDE..
link please.
Edited by Zhero#1970 on 5/24/2012 8:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 08:06 PMPosted by Zhero
link please.

I second that!
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Psyco
The hacking is not as rampant as these forums are making it out to be. The problem with forums is that anyone playing the game, isn't on them. So seeing 40-50 topics about hacked accounts is far from a HUGE problem when millions of copies were sold. I am sorry that you lost time invested into this game though. If it makes you feel better, all you are missing is dying over and over again on inferno.

Not as rampant?

It may not even be hacks and just data corruption

Data corruption does not go into your account and change your password.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 07:29 PMPosted by Krusiv
Okay, if I was keylogged then what good will an authenticator do? You have to type in the authenticator password which will also be recorded by the keylogger

You assume that A) the keylogger is watching your activity in real time and B) the keylogger will be able to eject you from the account and log in during the 20 second window before your authenticator code changes.

A is not true. B is kind of iffy, I'm not sure how the account logged in from multiple locations thing is handled by Bnet.
Edited by Neptr#1747 on 5/24/2012 8:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Use an Authenticator? This forum asks me for it 100% of the time. Diablo asks me for it 1 out of 10 times. Pretty sure that's not my fault.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149181886
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 08:22 PMPosted by Cratcho
Use an Authenticator? This forum asks me for it 100% of the time. Diablo asks me for it 1 out of 10 times. Pretty sure that's not my fault.

You need to tick the "Require an authenticator code every time you log in to the game." option on here... https://us.battle.net/account/management/authenticator.html
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 08:22 PMPosted by Cratcho
the game has a "cookie" file that along with your IP address makes it so you don't need it every time, to save battery life.
Reply Quote
All my items are gone I'm really pissed off right now, just got back from a really long day to find my character stripped naked.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 07:38 PMPosted by PaladinAlpha

I'd be interested in your in-depth knowledge of system security and how specifically to secure systems against things like this.

I can't want to hear this. Please, share your grand knowledge with us.

*shrug* Sure thing.

1) Use Firefox, run NoScript, and don't enable scripts on sites you don't trust. This will eliminate 99% of problems. (AdBlock helps too.)
2) Get a decent malware scanner (HijackThis is good but advanced, Spybot and Adaware are easier, Microsoft Security Essentials is ok) -- don't pay for anything -- and set it up to update automatically and scan every few days
3) Get ProcessExplorer and every now and then just take a look at the crap running on your system and see if anything looks suspicious.
4) Run a firewall. Windows Firewall is fine.
5) Password: 6 characters minimum, with letters, numbers, and punctuation. Change it every few months.
6) For extremely popular and valuable-account games like D3 and WoW, you really should use an e-mail address unique to those few games, and never use it anywhere else -- especially don't enter it into web forms. Gmail lets you use prefixes on your email; that's perfect for this kind of use.
7) Don't use the same password in two places. Develop some way of keeping this straight in your head. Some pattern or something.

You're silly if you think this keeps your PC 100% secure
Reply Quote

*shrug* Sure thing.

1) Use Firefox, run NoScript, and don't enable scripts on sites you don't trust. This will eliminate 99% of problems. (AdBlock helps too.)
2) Get a decent malware scanner (HijackThis is good but advanced, Spybot and Adaware are easier, Microsoft Security Essentials is ok) -- don't pay for anything -- and set it up to update automatically and scan every few days
3) Get ProcessExplorer and every now and then just take a look at the crap running on your system and see if anything looks suspicious.
4) Run a firewall. Windows Firewall is fine.
5) Password: 6 characters minimum, with letters, numbers, and punctuation. Change it every few months.
6) For extremely popular and valuable-account games like D3 and WoW, you really should use an e-mail address unique to those few games, and never use it anywhere else -- especially don't enter it into web forms. Gmail lets you use prefixes on your email; that's perfect for this kind of use.
7) Don't use the same password in two places. Develop some way of keeping this straight in your head. Some pattern or something.

You're silly if you think this keeps your PC 100% secure

Never said it did, champ. But those steps would eliminate 99% of publicly routable compromised computers. This isn't anything big; this is like Don't Get Hacked 101.
Reply Quote
Let me fix your poem for you, so it can be entered into the haiku contest:

We are not pixels
Our time is invaluable
We demand justice

I will also submit my own work:

Your gold is all gone
And in one month's time will be
Turned into rubles

Bonus:

QQ heard aloud
Wizards and hunters lament
Why you change my skills?
Edited by Baileycat#1721 on 5/24/2012 9:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]