Diablo® III

Late 2008 Macbook Unibody performace

I have a:

Late 2008 Macbook (Unibody)
2.4 Core 2 Duo
4GB Ram
Geforce 9400M
Lion 10.7.4

I've used Windows 7 Ultimate with the latest drivers from Nvidia. I can run it at 1280x800 with low settings and it runs pretty smooth.

When I tried it on OS X it is working well. On an external monitor 1080P, but I have the settings at 1024x768 and low. I'm happy that it is working well. I'll have to try again on just actual laptop monitor, but maybe i can get away with staying on my Mac.

On the 13" display at 1280x800 and it ran very well on low settings. Looks good for me. I'm going to put 4 more gb of ram in to max it out at 8(if you know the update that allowed it, then you know it is possible and I have tested it) and that should make it run just fine until I decide to get a pimped out macbook pro or the 27" iMac with the 2GB video card. Any questions, just ask.

Go Forth and Fight Evil!
Reply Quote
Glad its working well for you. Wish I could say the same. I've got a similar machine, but a 15" and even at 1280x800 I get frequent drops in FPS. This is with the 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, nVidia 9600M GT selected and 8GB RAM also running 10.7.4 with everything on low settings.

I haven't really entertained the idea of pushing out the $200 to buy Windows to test it on that, so right now I'm really hoping there's a patch that can help me. I've followed all of Blizzard's recommendations for improving performance, as well as a lot of what's been said on these forums from other posters. No matter what I do, it runs great for about 20-30 minutes at anywhere from 30-40 FPS, then I get frequent FPS drops down into the single digits every 10 seconds or so. This is with me also monitoring the internal temperature of my components and boosting my fan rpm to keep it cool. I don't know what else I can do, but wait...
Reply Quote
Well Dirty, I got to a point where I had to drop my resolution to the 1024x640 widescreen, which kinda sucks. But when I'm running it on my 1080p external monitor i run it at 1024x768, of course whether I'm on my macbook or pushing it to the monitor i have to keep the settings on low. my fps are between 15-20. But I hear you on the performance. I tried bootcamp and got a little bit better results, but not much. I hope that they put out a patch or something to improve the performance on the Mac side for the lower power MacBooks.

I felt like there were more options for resolution on windows 7 than mac. But let's hang in there together, something will happen..... hopefully!
Reply Quote
Also Dirty, try this thread, it might work for you.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149004913
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
05/26/2012 06:28 PMPosted by DirtyMachete
I haven't really entertained the idea of pushing out the $200 to buy Windows to test it on that

Shouldn't need to.

It's possible to download Windows 7 from Amazon's CDN then use it for free for up to 30 days.

Windows 8 preview is also free.
Reply Quote
05/26/2012 08:16 PMPosted by BenLaw
Also Dirty, try this thread, it might work for you.

Thanks for the tip. I've got a copy of Parallels my job bought for my work Mac, but it's been collecting dust as I've never used it since that has a Windows XP Bootcamp install and we rarely need to run Windows. Might be worth checking out.

Ultimately I'm hoping this optimization patch will just allow us to keep a steady frame rate. I don't need everything on high, just a solid and consistent 30fps would make me happy.

Oh and Bluspacecow, thanks for the info. I'll definitely check those out.
Edited by DirtyMachete#1465 on 5/26/2012 9:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
05/26/2012 08:58 PMPosted by DirtyMachete
Oh and Bluspacecow, thanks for the info. I'll definitely check those out.

http://lifehacker.com/5832896/download-windows7-isos-to-reinstall-without-restoring-your-system

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

(updated links)

It's there for people that purchase and digitally download Windows 7. But Microsoft let you use any copy of Windows 7 for up to 30 days before they require you to register it with a registration key.

So I say download this , use Windows 7 in either BootCamp or Parallels/Bootcamp until the Mac team has the new patch fix out. You're happy as you can play D3 and the Mac dev team is happy as that takes the pressure off them to push out a patch.
Reply Quote
Dirty, now that I have past the Skeleton King, the game is bogged down and doesn't run very well. I have to drop to 800x600 and even then its not great once there is a big battle. I'm gonna try bootcamp and see if the results will be better.
Reply Quote
05/26/2012 08:22 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
I haven't really entertained the idea of pushing out the $200 to buy Windows to test it on that

Shouldn't need to.

It's possible to download Windows 7 from Amazon's CDN then use it for free for up to 30 days.

Windows 8 preview is also free.

You can't run Windows on Bootcamp from an iso on this machine and parallels is only free for 13 days. I now have 6 remaining and then it's $80 for the full thing.
Reply Quote
Ben, yeah it really sucks. I've got an updated copy of Parallels installed and I'm downloading the Windows 8 preview through it now to see what happens. I got the trial, but since I already had an older copy of Parallels, it's only $50 to upgrade if I decide to get a full copy. All depends I guess on how well it runs and how soon the patch is released.

Deacon, you're right officially. There are roundabout ways to do it that honestly aren't worth the hassle. You can always just burn the iso to a bootable dvd though from Disk Utility and use it as a normal install disc.
Reply Quote
Alright, I tried it on bootcamp, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. The game runs way better. I get about 20FPS and it drops to maybe 15 or so. That is with everthing on low and a resolution of 1024x768. That is with the latest nvida drivers for the 9400m. I then went to the nivdia preferences and turned verything to low or off if availble and it has been running well. I am going to see if I can run bootcamp through my VMWare virtual machine and still get good results. If so then I can stay on my mac side and not reboot into windows.

Let me know if the paralles works for you. I hope so! Add me too. BenLaw#1297
Reply Quote
Well I tried it in Parallels 7 running Windows 8 preview, wasn't terrible, but not much of an improvement either. I don't think that's a great solution for me as my performance was basically the same. I'll try it in Bootcamp and see if that works better and let you know how it goes.

To me though, 15 fps is unplayable. I'm looking for 25+ hopefully. The annoying thing is outside of when it starts it's crazy fluctuation I'm actually getting great fps of 30+ or even as high as 50. If the upcoming patch can consistently keep me over 30 fps I'll be a very happy camper.
Reply Quote
I found that it ran decent in vmware, but overall, bootcamp is the way to go. I've been able to paly to the end of act 1 and my avg. FPS was about 20. I wish I could get more, but the thing is my 9400m just can't do more. no matter what the setting. I tried 800x600 and it was the same as 1024x640. I think that it looks ok and I enjoyed playing it. But I think I'm either going to have to get a better mac, or build a pc desktop with a sweet video card.

I hope that they do roll out a patch to get 30fps. I don't even care if they disable some of the "shaders" they say will cause the problem. Tell me how it runs through bootcamp for you, I'd like to know.

I was getting about 25FPS toward the end of act I
Edited by BenLaw#1297 on 5/29/2012 4:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I upgraded to 8GB of ram and windows 64 bit on bootcamp and it runs great!
Reply Quote
With the new patch, it runs great on the OS X side! Now I can get rid of windows. way better fps!
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 04:45 PMPosted by BenLaw
With the new patch, it runs great on the OS X side! Now I can get rid of windows. way better fps!

Are you using the 9400M or 9600M GT now?
Reply Quote
9400m, Insimbi. I'm getting about 30FPS on the laptop itself at 1280x800 and I get 20-25FPS on an external at 1024x960. Low setting on all of course. but it runs way better and I'm happy Blizzard fix the issue for Mac users. Especially if Apple isn't going to provide nvidia driver updates for us.
Reply Quote
It's sad that I'm actually considering playing on my 9400m right now, as even after the patch I'm still getting fps dips after awhile of playing on the 9600m gt. Seems that actually gets constant fps and it doesn't heat up the machine so much as to cause stuttering fps (at least I'm guessing that's what's causing my fps spikes).
Reply Quote
I have the same macbook 2.4GHz, 4 Gb RAM and 9400m running 10.7.4 the patch made things tremendously better. However my framerate also stutters after a while. But the game is decently playable at native resolution.

For now i do enjoy the game as it is... hoping for a fix from Blizz.

EDIT : Typo
Edited by Shtack#1722 on 6/8/2012 3:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Shtack, I get the same issue, a stutter every once and a while, but the game runs sooo much better. Also, you can upgrade your ram to 8GB. I did that and I'm loving it! I know apple only says 4GB tops, but that is not true, I'm running 8GB on my macbook.

Dirty, keep me posted on which card works better for you. I find that even with some stutters, it not that bad. I'm on act 4 now and its still running great!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]