Diablo® III

Re: Bashiok on loot acquisition

[quote]

This isn't a new concept. In Diablo II gear was randomized and so absolutely ridiculously rare that you could almost be guaranteed to never find the exact item you were looking for just by farming for it yourself. To be the best you had to trade items with others, as you might find an extremely rare item, they may be willing to trade for yours. If you wanted to get ahead within any reasonable amount of time you had to trade.

Here's the problem with that, and it is also present here.

It took extremely rare items to get extremely rare items. That meant an extremely (and for me, despite being a hardcore gamer, insurmountable) barrier of entry to the market.

I don't like the notion of needing a Magic Find character to equip your "real" characters, either. That isn't why I failed to even start trading in D2, though -- I did it anyway, and had 400+ Magic Find. I just didn't like it or find it fun.

The valor buff seems to run totally counter to the "play the game rather than farm bosses" direction you tried to go in, as well.

( EDIT: The thread had reached its post limit. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150112701?page=17#325 )
Edited by Felio#1969 on 5/27/2012 4:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
that might not have been the real bashiok. he tried to download d3 pickit and lost his info to phishers and malware because he didn't have an authenticator
Reply Quote
They trying to cover up their flaws by having their admins run around and spout BS everywhere.

lol blizzard, you are so pathetic.

Anyone ever tell you the story of the Pot and the Kettle and the accusations of being a particular color?
Reply Quote
05/27/2012 04:41 PMPosted by rinosarus
Yeah I also don't like Magic Find at all. What was wrong with the D1 model of "Kill as fast as you can and be rewarded for it" rather than "gear really cheaply with MF and be rewarded for it". The other thing is you didn't HAVE to trade to succeed in Diablo 1 OR 2. It was optional. Not so in D3.

Well, they did balance bowazons around supremely overpowered unique bows. That was their answer to them being severely underpowered. Don't get me started on the idiocy of banking class viability on extremely rare items. Now, I guess they've taken that theory of game design and applied it game-wide.
Reply Quote
I understand the need to balance drop rates around the existence of the AH, to ensure that people don't gear up more quickly than designed.

However, since the frequency of actual high-quality drops in-game was a significant driver of the appeal of Diablo 1 and Diablo 2, I worry that this change has adversely impacted the entertainment value of Diablo 3.

In fact, I have trouble in many cases even identifying which of my drops are high quality without popping out of the game and looking up prices for equivalent items on the auction house, which means that the excitement of getting the actual drop is muted.

Unfortunately, it feels to me like having an AH, the goal that people gear up at a slow enough rate, and the ideal that drops in-game be exciting are in such tension with each other that there may be no really effective solution.

That said, one idea might be to have a much higher drop rate for strong items (preferably unique and set items adjusted to be relatively powerful) at lower levels, allowing the market for these to tank completely on the AH but retaining that feeling of excitement at every elite and boss kill, but approach AH-compatible drop rates at or near the level cap. Since the market for lower-level items is pretty much unsustainable because of the ease of leveling past their usefulness anyway, this would retain some of the old feel without destroying the AH economy for people serious enough to play for the long term.
Edited by Lysenko#1373 on 5/29/2012 2:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Posted by Bashiok
i have ZERO chance to find a legendary, because the server has now adjusted the rates on the fly, because others have already found it.

That's not what was said or implied at all, sorry if it was confusing. The AH doesn't have any affect on the literal drop rates of items depending on what's available.

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

Obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as quickly as possible, and us attempting to mediate that through design that takes all factors into account is not always going to be a popular notion.

So what Bash is saying Use the AH?? I thought we didn't have to use the AH. Basically the players who don't use the AH is given the crap loots and the players that have the godly gear is finding all the good rares and all the legendary items. So because the better geared players are finding all of the good gear, I have to go to the AH and give them my gold?

I am always broke because I HAVE to use the AH to upgrade my gear. which means I can't save my gold to upgrade my gems, or to but the high quality legendary items (that I will probably not find for another year or so).

10 of 13 pieces of gear on my DH was bought off the AH (only 10 because the rings and ammys are way too expensive for me) doesn't sound right for a game that YOU Bash said we could play and find our own gear without using the AH.

Sorry this Drop system is too messed up, the people who used exploits when the game came out got rich fast and got geared quick while the rest of us HAVE to buy gear off them making them richer and making us poorer?? That is a load of bull, but go ahead and keep benefiting the exploiters while the rest of us just quit all together. I am seriously thinking about just quitting this game until this is fixed.

BTW I am Paragon level 19, only found 2 legendary items this patch (both unusable by my class), no upgrades for myself and one rare that sold for 1.7 mil. Thats it. All that time and got nothing to show for it. Rewards =/ time spent.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]