Diablo® III

Authenticators should come with the game!

Well I certainly learned my lesson. Decided not to use the authenticator. Mere hours after using the AH, my account was cleaned out. Not an item left on my (only) character and nothing in the stash.

1. I've never clicked a link a Blizzard (or not-Blizzard-but-actually-phishing) email. In fact, I searched through my email and I haven't actually received one except for my initial registration, and a few emails about the beta earlier on. About 3 emails total. I'm going to safely assume it wasn't those.

2. This is a fresh Win7 install (I thought a format before diving into D3 would be nice). The only things I've installed are the few required drivers, MS Security Essentials, Steam (which uses a different username and password), and D3. How did a keylogger get in there?

So what did I do wrong? I think you can understand how frustrating it can be to play it this safe and still get compromised. If the authenticator was my ONLY OPTION to not get hacked other than just not playing the game, then why isn't it included?

I mean, other than the authenticator, I don't see anything else I could have done to prevent this. Let's say I could go back in time and change anything I wanted *except* use the authenticator. What could I have changed to protect myself? WHAT? The only answer I can think of is not use the auction house, but I'm not 100% convinced that's truly the source of the compromise.
Reply Quote
Maybe because the Authenticators is a standalone product?
Reply Quote
Wasn't a WoW player, didn't even know there was such a thing as an authenticator.
Reply Quote
Did you use the same password for other sites?
Reply Quote
05/27/2012 08:02 PMPosted by NobleThree

As this is true, the OP has a point, the game was fairly cheap to begin with, add 6.50 and put an authenticator in the box...how can you go wrong?
Reply Quote
Welcome to 2012 where the gaming industry is run by bean counters instead of game designers. Here you will pay for map packs instead of getting a proper number of maps at release, you will buy DLC that was developed along with the game that you paid full price for, if you want basic features you must buy them separately, and every game you play will repeat the mistakes of popular games in it's genre.

In today's gaming market no... Authenticators should NOT come with the game because people are WILLING TO BUY THEM separately. We talk about economies and inflation all day, but at the end of that day we have the disposable income to get suckered out of extra money, and as long as people are paying they will keep taking the money every way they can.

Vote with your wallet, and when you lose the vote because everyone else will spend, whine about it on forums.
Reply Quote
05/27/2012 08:02 PMPosted by NobleThree

My point was that if the security demands their use, they should be included.

It would be like seatbelts in a car being an extra, separate product.
Reply Quote
You have my sympathies, but you won't find much comfort on these boards. There should be a rule: If your mom bought you the computer you are typing on, you should !@#$ about these matters.

I am 28 years old why the frack would I want diablo cheats? Or fall for a phishing site?
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271503297
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I agree an authenticator should come with every Blizzard game. Ive had one for years. But ask yourself honestly, would you have installed in on your account or would you have tossed it aside thinking "i dont go to any questionable sites or open any strange emails, i dont need the extra log in step". Im sure many of the people who havent gotten one for their account wouldnt have bothered using a free one, untill it was too late.
Reply Quote
05/27/2012 08:09 PMPosted by Barfoot

My point was that if the security demands their use, they should be included.

It would be like seatbelts in a car being an extra, separate product.
It doesn't demand their use. There are plenty of people who don't use them and never get hacked.

And no seatbelts are like the username/password. The authenticator is like expecting Ford to provide you with a personal security guard to stand by your car 24/7 when you're not using it.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
05/27/2012 08:04 PMPosted by cRaX

As this is true, the OP has a point, the game was fairly cheap to begin with, add 6.50 and put an authenticator in the box...how can you go wrong?

OP does kinda have a point.

At the very, very least... I would have put a redeemable coupon in the CE for a free token authenticator, too.

I've got a feeling Blizz learned a lesson here. With every game that they sell from now on, account security will be a part of the marketing. Tokens may not be free... but people will definitely know about them next time.
Reply Quote
05/27/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Daciana

OP does kinda have a point.

At the very, very least... I would have put a redeemable coupon in the CE for a free token authenticator, too.

I've got a feeling Blizz learned a lesson here. With every game that they sell from now on, account security will be a part of the marketing. Tokens may not be free... but people will definitely know about them next time.

Yes not just that, could you imagine the money they can save, without having to employ more staff to restore accounts. I'm sure hacking will occur, but not to the extent that it is at the moment.
Reply Quote
05/27/2012 08:13 PMPosted by moojerk

moojerk, I've read through your post a few times. Guess what? No. You need to come to the realization that just maybe some of these reports are legit.

Your post may be in good spirit, I understand that. You're trying to be helpful. But for those of us who really have been compromised without ever getting a phising email and ensuring a 100% clean PC environment, your post does nothing except really piss people off.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
05/27/2012 08:20 PMPosted by cRaX
Yes not just that, could you imagine the money they can save, without having to employ more staff to restore accounts. I'm sure hacking will occur, but not to the extent that it is at the moment.

I'll bet real money that when the RMAH goes live, they'll require a means of authentication for everyone using it rather than just for the people who've had account issues or those exceeding 100 bucks. If they don't, then at least the cap will be down closer to 20 bucks.

It won't be what is in the FAQ now, tho.
Reply Quote
05/27/2012 08:20 PMPosted by Barfoot

moojerk, I've read through your post a few times. Guess what? No. You need to come to the realization that just maybe some of these reports are legit.

Your post may be in good spirit, I understand that. You're trying to be helpful. But for those of us who really have been compromised without ever getting a phising email and ensuring a 100% clean PC environment, your post does nothing except really piss people off.
The only people who would be pissed off by that post are people who *think* they are infallible, when in reality, they are not.

Sorry, you're not perfect.
Reply Quote
We are comming into an era where we are forced to buy securities for the games we play, what a step up the laddar.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
05/27/2012 08:04 PMPosted by cRaX

Easy. Most of the people playing Diablo 3 bought it digitally.
Reply Quote
You can authenticator for free with any smart phone.

Too poor to afford a smart phone?

The don't play D3 and get a job.
Edited by Asparagus#1326 on 5/27/2012 8:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]