Diablo® III

I'm a Norse Deity and my Account Got Hacked

/tinfoil hat
Reply Quote
I wish there was some way to make this thread last forever. I truly do.
Reply Quote
I bet it was the ravens who hacked your account and stole all your stuff. Can't trust those ravens!
Reply Quote
+1 you are funny sir!
Reply Quote
Dear Allfather,

If you refer to the FAQs or your Diablo 3 manual, you'll see dial-up authenticators do not actually work with Diablo 3. You are allowed 2 account rollbacks during the lifetime of your account.

An authenticator is safer security, but the only truly secure account is one that is never played, which we recommend for optimal security. In conclusion L2A (Learn2Authenticate)

Yours in Battle,
Cioran

(this post is not in any way affiliated or endorsed by Blizzard or the Norse pantheon of gods)
Reply Quote
10 Undead Warrior

I demand that you restore my items and gold IMMEDIATELY, Blizzard. I have been a loyal and supportive customer for far too long, and my patience has run out.

I applaud Blizzard's recent stance to stop coddling players that have been hacked.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/compromised-diablo-iii-account

With World of Warcraft, people can just cry to Blizzard every time they get hacked, and everything is restored with no problem. The restoration is fast, and you sometimes come out ahead.

There's no reason to get an authenticator because Blizzard coddles the players.

It would make sense that when, as a customer, you start costing more than you're worth, a line has to be drawn. If I broke a bottle of pickles in Wal-Mart, the first time, they would tell me it's ok, and they'll clean it up. But if I come in and break a bottle of pickles every day, eventually they will tell me to take a hike.

However with the quoted link above, I wonder if Blizzard can do this. The sense of entitlement that the player base has is not only insulting, but laughable.

I think authenticators should ship with the game, and be required. THEN, if you get hacked, the current Diablo policy I linked above would be easier for the players to accept.

I think.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
tl;dr
Reply Quote
Good post by the OP. It was far more interesting than the usual 'I was hacked and want to vent about Blizzard not assigning me a randomly-generated 12 character password to force me to be secure' that we see here.

-1 for not claiming to have a PHD in 3 computer-related subjects though :(

05/31/2012 07:37 PMPosted by GeneralSteel
its pretty simple i wont play a single player game in the future that requires online play so i can be hacked and the jackhole company can blame me to avoid getting sued.

A) You can't sue them. Nothing with any legally recognized value was taken from you and you certainly can't prove that it was taken because blizzard was negligent.
B) They blame you because someone gave them the correct username and password for your account and they almost certainly keep the passwords salted and hashed (mmmm.... now I have craving for some cheesy jalapeno hash browns), which means they're useless even if someone did compromise their password database. Blizz kept up their end of the deal and provided access to people with that username/pass.

I remember a post once about some guy whose friend stole his N64 memory card with his Ocarina of Time save on it. Your old non-networked single player games aren't safe either!
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
I have to say that this is a nice read, I did laugh out loud.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Mcneeg
Of course, we got ripped off 60$ to be able to play a game that we dont even own. And that game is... well i'd rather not own it.

that applies to every single game. You never own the game, you own the rights to play the game. There's a distinction.

If you disagree with that statement you can either, stop playing the game or bring it up in court, because that clause is in the license agreement.

what do they teach you at school these days? I know this fact when I was 16.
Edited by DunkmasterJ4#6640 on 5/31/2012 8:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Undead Warrior
You never own the game, you own the rights to play the game. There's a distinction.

what do they teach you at school these days? I know this fact when I was 16.

This applies to Windows as well. We pay for the right to use Windows, not own it. No one reads EULA's.

If players actually educated themselves before posting, well, the forums would be a lot quieter.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Seneselina
If players actually educated themselves before posting, well, the forums would be a lot quieter.

Not likely. This was brought up publicly at one point, and caused quite a bit of commotion for a while. I think it was related to console games, which have a shortened version that says roughly the same thing on the back of the manual. If you can call them "manuals" nowadays. Apparently we don't even own the physical discs, we're "renting" those too.
Reply Quote
View profile
i was having a really bad day but this topic takes the cake.

10/10 definitely but needing better security from user end. real authenticator next time.
Reply Quote
Best thing I've read all day, by far.

And definitely the best thing I've ever read on this forum.
Reply Quote

In the form of a pink pony from Whimsyshire?

He was a succubus in the Tower of the Damned when I found him.

I vote twitter pics of all his forms at #CmzahrymD3
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Seneselina
This applies to Windows as well. We pay for the right to use Windows, not own it. No one reads EULA's.

I'm pretty sure the world would stop turning if people started reading EULAs. Have you seen the crap that gets put in those things?

I'm still waiting for one of the following sentences to show up in a EULA:

1) You agree that this contract was signed and is enforceable in country X where violation of this EULA is a capital offense.
2) Have you actually read this thing?
3) Please help me! I've been kidnapped and chained to a desk in the basement of a law firm where I'm forced to write EULAs for 18x7 shifts. Please send the police to 110 E Main St Springfield, IL.
4) I can't believe people actually agree to this.
5) Just skip this and check the box. You know you want to.
6) The party of the first part, henceforth known as 'user' shall relinquish all rights to the property commonly known as his/her soul upon request of the party of the second part, henceforth known as 'Satan, Inc.' after a period of at least 6 years from the time of this agreement.
Reply Quote
Posting in epic thread becuz I can.
Reply Quote
the devs beat me too all the good jokes today :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]