Diablo® III

When afk for 30 mins.. disconnects

It seems to happen at around 30 mins. Network disconnect. the game connection has been lost: your client has been disconnected from the server.
Reply Quote
Because you were idle and taking up server resources and bandwidth, a lot of games do this.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Derek

Most games will disconnect you after a while of being AFK, but we can still look at your connection to make sure everything looks OK.

Can you post some network information?

* Windows Xp, Vista, or 7 (also include if it's a 32 or 64 bit version)
* Firewall (McAfee, Norton, ZoneAlarm, etc.)
* Network Adapter brand, model, driver date, and driver version number (Steps below)

1. Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. Double-click on the System icon (in Windows XP, you may need to click Switch to Classic 4. View on the left hand side of the screen).
5. Select the Hardware tab.
6. Click on Device Manager
7. Expand the section labeled Network Adapters.
8. Right-click on your network card and select Properties.
9. Click on the "Driver" tab at the top

* Router brand and model # (this should be printed somewhere on the front or back or bottom)
* Cable or DSL Modem brand and model #(this should be printed somewhere on the front or back or bottom)
* ISP (Internet Provider)
* Is the connection wired or wireless
* Location (City, State)
* Traceroute ( http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/performing-a-traceroute )
If you can't find a solution to your issue, feel free to contact a Support Representative directly for further assistance. Their contact information can be found at the following link: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html

I'm available on the forums Monday through Friday from 11AM to 8PM Pacific Time
Edited by Dankorii on 5/30/2012 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Im gonna follow this thread, my question to you Dankorii:

Does Diablo 3 disconnect you after 30 minutes ? If yes, only on the character select screen or also when your on a quest afk for 30+ mins ? :)

-Gant
Reply Quote
That is a lot of info for me to dig for and will take some time. Could you see if there is a automatic logout at around 30 minutes for me and if there is not, I'll get that info?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Derek

It doesn't look like there is an automatic logout time. I know myself, and a few others have left the game running a few hours, and would come back to the game still running. I'm thinking that there may have been some kind of hiccup in your connection. Provide the info I requested when you get the chance, and we'll see what we can figure out.
If you can't find a solution to your issue, feel free to contact a Support Representative directly for further assistance. Their contact information can be found at the following link: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html

Reply Quote
Dankorii, can you 100% confirm that players do not get disconnected in a singleplayer game when staying afk/idle for exactly 30 minutes?

Because this exact same thing is happening to me as well. Im not sure about a multiplayer game since i havent tried it yet but definately happens in singleplayer. Which, for me, is a huge problem as im afk a lot of the time. And getting kicked after stacking 5 neph valors or playing hardcore and setting the 10 second disconnect timer when getting kicked can be an absolute disaster.
Would love to have some kind of solution for this.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
maxL

I looked little bit more into this issue, and there does appear to be an auto logout after 30 minutes of being afk while in-game. However, it shouldn't happen if you are at the character selecting screen.

Edited by Dankorii on 5/31/2012 6:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Can you mention to the design team or what ever it is that controls thi, that it should ONLY do that if you are in a multiplayer game. I do not like getting disconnected while being away for 30+ minutes in my single player game while I have paused (Hit esc). My characters buffs go away and its very frustrating to have to get more NV stacks etc.
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Biscuit
Can you mention to the design team or what ever it is that controls thi, that it should ONLY do that if you are in a multiplayer game. I do not like getting disconnected while being away for 30+ minutes in my single player game while I have paused (Hit esc). My characters buffs go away and its very frustrating to have to get more NV stacks etc.

This.
Reply Quote
Derek, sorry for piss off your post but I have to write this.

Dear blues, this is a post with an anecdotical "issue", I can't even call it issue... so a person is 30 minutes afk and the games disconects him... ok... so what? who cares?

3 BLUE RESPONSES....

And there is a post with 14 pages of people who CANNOT PLAY... and not a single response... this is EXTREMELEY frustrating.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5573698171

We only want you to choose one of this phrases and copy paste it in our post.

- We are looking at this.
- We are not going to look at this.

MANY THANKS.
Reply Quote
First off, I understand that I accept and signed Blizzard's terms when I bought the game. But I feel like if I appeal to you (Blizzard) to consider my playing experience, then perhaps you will take note of it.

My personal experience with the DC when I pause for a break feels like someone else is dictating the pace that I play at, and I don't like it. I bought the game to enjoy it and play it how I wish. I can't take short breaks due to this AFK policy, and thus it feels like my play style is being controlled and manipulated so that you can be more "efficient" with your server usage.

I understand that many MULTIPLAYER games have AFK timers since AFK players in a multiplayer setting can have a negative effect on the other players. However, when I am solo playing and trying to progress through difficult modes and worked hard to get my NV stacks up, it feels very controlling to expect me to have to keep playing with no breaks or pauses unless I am willing to restart my stacks.

Please, Please find some other methods of allowing NV stacks to endure so that I don't feel like I have to marathon play every time I want to make significant progress in the game.
Reply Quote
Single player - 30 min. as AFK status = disconnect
Reply Quote
Can i opt outof this game feature please.
It is a single player game, and i am getting disconnected from "a server".
The character loses its position, and s/he re-appears in town.

Surely there is some rationel such as
expoliters,
pirated game copies, . . .

I do not care for the rational.
I do not want to play a single player game that is on an server that disconnectes me.
Reply Quote
this is somewhat silly when you are automatically disconnected while you are playing in a greater rift.
does it take so much intelligence to think you may get a phone call or do some other things for 30 minutes when you are playing for hours and hours?
and you are just disconnected and get nothing.
thanks blizzard.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
AFK single games use up server resources for no reason. It slows down the experience for everyone else. Greater rifts have a time limit anyways, so if you're on the phone for a half hour you've already missed your chance. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]