Diablo® III

Acid Cloud vs Rain of Toads; there a point?

I've been using Acid Cloud with the rain rune since it unlocked, and it made the WD feel literally like faceroll god mode compared to my Monk. I've recently unlocked Rain of Toads and am wondering if I'm the only one that thinks it's completely redundant? Acid costs more mana obviously, but it has a much wider area of effect. Toads on the other hand is like a smaller radius channeled Blizzard. It kills slightly slower, but costs almost nothing at all to cast indefinitely, so you never really run out of mana, and things die when they need to die.

The problem is, I don't have mana issues anyway. Is this just a matter of picking what you want for flavor reasons? I think both are great, but they seem to overlap too much. Like many of the WD skills...=(
Reply Quote
why bother with rain of toads when you can poison dart with the fire dart (160% dmg) for better burst ?
Reply Quote
One is a low cost primary.

One will make your mana non-existent if you try to do the same thing with it.

Just try using acid cloud as your primary and then come back.

@banana
Why eat chocolate when you can smell roses on the moon?

Seriously what you said made no sense.

Rain of toads isn't single target or a burst skill.

It's like taking haunt over locusts for AoE because the number is higher.
Edited by ShadeyHeart#1920 on 5/19/2012 12:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 12:53 AMPosted by Handbanana
why bother with rain of toads when you can poison dart with the fire dart (160% dmg) for better burst ?

I'm only 36 on my WD, so I don't have access to it yet. I've just been using Splinters pretty much this entire time as my single target focus. I've tried everything else available, but I don't Firebats as much, since Firebats seems more like a single spell that's "good" for everything, but it's not exceptional in any particular area. I occasionally use Resentful Spirit for fun, since it's pretty good too, but I typically only need Splinters and Acid or Toads for everything.

Also, one reason to not use the fire version of the dart is if you're using Bad Medicine.

Just try using acid cloud as your primary and then come back.

My routine has been...run in, Soul Harvest, Acid Cloud 1-2x and finish off the stragglers with Splinters. Of course you don't use a giant area of effect as a "primary". I suppose Toads is actually a primary as well, but it seems much too powerful for what it does to be a primary and it's also not really single target (even though you can use it for that if you really want).
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 5/19/2012 1:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's not like burst is everything.

Why don't you run with all the highest percents the class has.

You will probably die from lack of any balance in your build at all.
Reply Quote
I use the rain of toads as primary, with the Fetish Sycophants (or however you spell that) passive. The thing about the rain of toads is that it seems to stack, I use it along grasp of the dead, and while its damage starts slow, once you around 3 casts in a single area it runs the enemy health bar really fast(it has good cast speed too), as opposed to the Acid Cloud's single burst to slow DoT. Plus making it rain frogs and killing huge monsters with it is just epic. :)
Edited by SevenAces#6350 on 5/19/2012 2:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I use rain of toads as primary and at level 53 in hell mode act 2 I do 7k white dmg to everything around it in aoe spamming.. compared to the fire dart its single target and slowing then spamming the rain of toads.. even in boss fights I do more dmg cause it also does 130 over 2 secs.. if your spamming it which I do it does allot of dmg.
Reply Quote
Rain of toads for situations youll need sustained aoe (aka group of rares) acid cloud for groups you can one shot since its huge range (pre hell that is) although the only aoe you really need for trash pre hell is locust swarm.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 12:49 AMPosted by Void
I've been using Acid Cloud with the rain rune since it unlocked, and it made the WD feel literally like faceroll god mode compared to my Monk.

1. Big Bad Voodoo: Slam Dance
2. Grasp of the Dead: Unbreakable
3. Spirit Barrage: Phantasmx2
4. Fire Bomb: Fire Pit (Ghost Bomb@60) a zililon times.
*5. Horrify: Stalker (if they get too close, it'll give you time to cast Grasp again.
Passives: Blood Ritual/Pierce the Veil/Grave Injustice (or Tribal Rites)

Make sure to limit spirit barrage uses to 2 at a time. They produce a lot of damage stacked up but will drain your mana quick if you aren't killing as fast as those two disappear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]