Diablo® III

Help a lvl 35-40 wizard

Im currently at lv 36 and having a hard time on Act 1 Nightmare. Tried some different builds without success.

My stats:
- 4,1k HP
- 975 DPS with magic weapon bonus.

Now here are my questions:
- What's the best build for these levels?
- Where's the best place to farm exp?

I think my life will be much more easier lv 40... Galvanizing Ward, Better Gear, etc...
Reply Quote
What's your build now?
Reply Quote
I'm level 38 and Nightmare has been extremely easy...just cheap sometimes (i.e. arcane lazers that can instant kill) My HP is 3.9K, and DPS is only 1.2k unbuffed and 1.8k buffed but the enemies almost instant die even to my normal attack.

I think you need higher DPS and HP isn't too much a problem if you kite around the enemies around don't even let them hit you. And Diamond Skin is a necessity to survive.

You should just get high damage weapons from the AH and get items to increase your intelligence, base damage, and especially attack speed. I don't know about later on and hell and inferno, maybe more vitality?

TL;DR
Get high DPS from AH gear and don't get hit. You'll melt everybody away.
Edited by ZEROB2st#1691 on 5/20/2012 7:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've been playing alternative build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WiXdOS!aXb!bZaaaZ

Sword (socketed with ruby)and shield, (socketed topaz.)

with Energy Armor up, I have around 2100armor my dps is only around 980

No problems with Nightmare at all, battles are actually kinda fun.
Reply Quote
This is the build I'm using in Nightmare Acts 1-2

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#RcXhOY!ZXY!abZZaZ

I was having a good time spamming meteor with star pact rune in place of arcane orb. Once you get the short fuse rune for explosive blast.. it gets pretty fun to run around freezing and exploding packs and then running away and shooting a huge arcane orb at them.

I'd switch to Galvanizing ward in the passives once you get it in place of glass cannon.

For bosses I'd switch the diamond skin glyph to the one that reflects attacks and maybe switch explosive blast to another skill if you've got to maintain range.
Edited by Adp#1452 on 5/20/2012 7:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My wiz is level 38 just starting Act 2 NM and he has been ripping it up. I've died once in all of Act 1 NM and that was due to a pack of the unburied with extra fast and frozen and a badly timed diamond skin.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aiXRSg!YXZ!aZabZZ

Generally when there's regular monsters, disintegrate destroys everything. Against Champion/Rare packs, I lay down a hydra, then time warp, diamond skin, nuke down with disintegrate, rinse and repeat. The extra 20% damage from time warp is pretty insane.

Admittedly I've gotten some decent gear up to this point, my DPS with Magic Weapon is somewhere around 1600 at the moment. But I love the build because it's equally effective against swarms of regulars, champion packs, and I don't have to switch out for bosses. I killed the butcher on NM in about 2 minutes just from laying down a venom hydra and some well positioned time warps.
Edited by Vorador#1326 on 5/20/2012 7:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My wiz is level 38 just starting Act 2 NM and he has been ripping it up. I've died once in all of Act 1 NM and that was due to a pack of the unburied with extra fast and frozen and a badly timed diamond skin.

Generally when there's regular monsters, disintegrate destroys everything. Against Champion/Rare packs, I lay down a hydra, then time warp, diamond skin, nuke down with disintegrate, rinse and repeat. The extra 20% damage from time warp is pretty insane.

Admittedly I've gotten some decent gear up to this point, my DPS with Magic Weapon is somewhere around 1600 at the moment. But I love the build because it's equally effective against swarms of regulars, champion packs, and I don't have to switch out for bosses. I killed the butcher on NM in about 2 minutes just from laying down a venom hydra and some well positioned time warps.

Hi, may i know what is the equipment you using?
Reply Quote

Hi, may i know what is the equipment you using?

I'm at work so I don't have specifics, but off the top of my head I know that my weapon is about 70-75 dps (socketed with a perfect ruby), my offhand is in the 6-10 damage range with high int, and my other gear is pieced together with high int + high vit if I can find it. My HP is somewhere over 3k (I think) at lvl 38.

If you feel your gear is lacking, take a gander on the AH, at this level you can get relatively cheap rares.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Well, I'm trying now a melee build on my wizard. (lvl 41)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WkgXRO!acb!aaZaaZ

It is fun for aoe, but you might need some skill with ranged, elites and such.

AOE (easy): pull with "meteor", pop "slow time" better for defense and damage, cast "hydra" for aoe and free damage, then spam "spectral blade" until you get enough power to cast "meteor". If worried about your health, use "diamond skin".

ELITES / RANGED (hard): Kite them around until you have "diamond skin" and "time warp" up. Then charge, cast and repeat aoe sequence. Remeber to always refresh your hydra here and learn to anticipate where your enemy moves, so you can land a meteor.

FOLLOWER: Templar, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/follower#1111

Have fun.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
When you guys say DPS, you are talking about "total damage increased by intellect"?
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 08:32 AMPosted by Pinkfloid
When you guys say DPS, you are talking about "total damage increased by intellect"?

No, the BIG number you see on your weapon, or the (total) number behind "Damage" in the Inventory, not the detail-page.

edit: also the common abbr. for 'damage per second'. I'm not sure how this value actually applies in D3 though.

Just keep it high. The large your DPS, the large your peen.
Edited by heidi#1959 on 5/21/2012 8:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
05/21/2012 08:35 AMPosted by heidi

No, the BIG number you see on your weapon, or the (total) number behind "Damage" in the Inventory, not the detail-page.

Ok, whoa how in the hell are you guys getting over 1000 dps at lvl 35+ it shows my total dps as 343....but im not having any trouble in nightmare....something is wrong...does it calculate total intellect? Since more intellect = more damage?
Reply Quote
intelligence only multiplies your damage. therefore: crappy weapon = crappy damage, regardless of your intelligence.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 08:38 AMPosted by Pinkfloid

Ok, whoa how in the hell are you guys getting over 1000 dps at lvl 35+ it shows my total dps as 343....but im not having any trouble in nightmare....something is wrong...does it calculate total intellect? Since more intellect = more damage?

You need better gear, under 40 and have almost 2k dps.

I am have 0 problems in nightmare.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
Ok so i bought a sweet dps weap out of AH with hardly any stats and my dps went up huge, that is kinda dumb....im now a wizard with a 2handed axe......so lame
Reply Quote
OP:

This is the build I've used Act 1 through the end of Act 2 NM. I can solo or do fine in groups.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WkYXSO!aXb!aZYaZZ

Cold Snap is also good for Frost Nova.
Reply Quote
ENERGY ARMOR AND MAGIC WEAPON IS A MUST!!!!
Reply Quote
all the help you need is in this thread:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149149482
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 08:57 AMPosted by Pinkfloid
Ok so i bought a sweet dps weap out of AH with hardly any stats and my dps went up huge, that is kinda dumb....im now a wizard with a 2handed axe......so lame

I'm a level 39 wizard with almost 2k damage, I don't know why you bought a 2 handed axe, what are the stats on it?

Try looking for a 1 handed wand with a socket, that has overall damage, attack speed will add to your overall damage as well and than throw a perfect ruby or better in your wand and that should add another 22+ to your damage. Than find an offhand skull or orbs that add additional damage and intelligence, socketed would also be a plus because you can throw in a perfect topaz or better which will add 22+ intelligence which increases your overall damage.

Also another thing to note is rings, you can find cheap rings their usually called "ring of the wounding" which adds a ton of overall damage and you can also find other wounding rings that add damage and attack speed which adds even more damage, it's all experimental and you can find all these on the auction house for fairly cheap if you know how to navigate it properly.
Reply Quote
I'm at a very similar level to you right now. Just completed act 1 at level 36 w/ 3.5k HP and just over 1k DPS when it's boosted.

Here's the current build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcXlRS!cXY!baaaaZ

It's been working really well, the Butcher went down really easy.

Just picked up a 2 handed staff around 85 DPS but it looks like most of my gear is still on the weak side after seeing some of everyone elses stats.

When you guys look at the auction house do you only pickup something with a buyout price? I've been thinking with most auctions I see ending a day away, by the time it's over I'll pretty much be ready for a new piece of equipment anyway. Also, most of the upgrades should be able to be purchased in the 10k range?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]