Diablo® III

The Downfall of the Barbarian

I, like many of you, was extremely exuberant to get my hands on Diablo III. I always was a huge fan of the previous Diablo games, so pre-ordering this game was a no-brainer.

I was one of the few lucky individuals to get into the D3 beta fairly early last year. I played all classes to max beta level (13), and they were all fun, but I fell in love with the Barbarian. I loved smashing things into bloody fragments. I enjoyed the chaotic mess my Barbarian made. I also thought I'd pay homage to this amazing series by rolling it's only returning class.

I have now dumped upwards of 55 hours into this game, and have enjoyed it THOROUGHLY, that is until recently . . . I'm level 60, and the game gets harder, this is by design; I understand it's not suppose to be easy. But as many others have point out, DPSing as a Barbarian is a death sentence. And it's not like, 'oh I just need to gear up in Act I inferno and try again'. No. That doesn't work. If you opt for DPS, you will die.

DPSing just isn't viable, yet this isn't even my biggest concern. I've wised up and decided to turn my barbarian into a meat-shield, what some may call a tank (as if to make it sound more fun). Currently I have 53,000 life, +380 resistance to all elements, and over 7,000 armor. Yet, I still find myself CONSTANTLY dying to champion mobs. For ranged classes, certain pairings of champion mob affixes really give them trouble. However, for Barbarians (and probably monks), champion packs with just molten, or just plague, or just arcane enhanced, are HARD COUNTERS. A mob with just one of these affixes, and you're going to be visiting your act vendor for repairs afterwards (given you have the mental fortitude to watch your character get demolished time and time again, while hardly dwindling down your enemies life).

This certainly cannot be what great game designers, like Jay Wilson, intended for. Making one specialization completely unusable, and the other mediocre (at best) is NOT good game design. (especially when the latter isn't all that fun)

Finally, while watching a high level stream of a group venturing into ACT III Inferno a couple days ago, one of the casters muttered, "a dps barb is a dead barb" and reflecting back on that statement, it is sadly completely accurate. I really hope blizzard can figure out a way to balance this issue out. Wizards/Witch Doctors/Demon Hunters can get away with kiting difficult minions through countless corridors. Us bulky Barbarians with our large frames aren't meant to run from foes, nor is it in our blood to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TL;DR - If Blizzard wants to make DPS barbs suck late game, at least make tanking barbs more effective.

PS: Act II Inferno can eat me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit/Update: I can clear (most) of ACT II. And by most, I mean all the bosses and 95% of the champions.

I currently only have 51k life, but have 800ish resists to all elements, 42% block, and ~10,000 armor. It isn't easy, and my original claim above still stands. The barbarian has gotten the short end of the stick compared to ranged classes.

Lastly, DPS barbarians are still not viable in inferno. I've been farming butcher for about two weeks now, and can spec for DPS in ACT I, but in ACT II I get slaughtered.
Edited by Stormus#2230 on 5/31/2012 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
-_-|||
Edited by Sprig#6311 on 6/20/2012 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote

If we cant even tank, then what the value we have?

Our constant paying of repairs helps the economy of Sanctuary ;P. We may be $h!tty party members, but we're great citizens.
Reply Quote

Our constant paying of repairs helps the economy of Sanctuary ;P. We may be $h!tty party members, but we're great citizens.

Uncle Deckard's Social Security fund sure didn't pay for itself after all!
Reply Quote
i just want an effective kiting build :(
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 12:04 AMPosted by steady
i just want an effective kiting build :(

Ha, no kidding! I've tried some kiting with Hammer of Ancients ruined, and Seismic Slam, but it was with very little success. Kiting isn't a reasonable option for us barbs because the way our resource system functions T.T
Edited by Stormus#2230 on 5/22/2012 12:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i do agree
Why we are Barbarian?

Because we like to crush enemy and piece them
We dun like hit and run tactic. If we cant kill. But at lease we can tank

Couldn't agree more my friend. I love the game so far, and am currently doing nightmare with my barb. I love the idea of smashing and crushing enemies and completely obliterating and dominating them. I understand I may not be doing the same DPS as the ranged guys, but to hear lvl 60 barbs are getting killed in 2 shots by a wasp in act2 inferno makes my blood boil. I for one won't be rerolling. I will simply endeavor to get to act2 inferno, then put the game down, go to the gym, drink protein shakes and try to get as big as my barb is while I wait for a patch to buff the barb class.

BARBARIANS FOREVER!!!!! ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, it's all a man can do at this point.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Priest
lawl you guys need to stop complaining. I've seen tanks solo act 3 inferno.
Reply Quote
Cannt agree u more, at lv 60 after a whole week of 10+hours played everyday on barb, I am playing dh all over again, stop forking telling us barb can kite too, using ranged skills to kite as a barb? Are u f u c k ing kidding? Blizzard, what the f uc k? I understand barb is not intend to farm, mf, but we barb cannt even play anything at lv 60, so I waste a whole f u c k ing life on barb!
Reply Quote
2 Orc Rogue
05/22/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Billself

Wake up!
Reply Quote

Couldn't agree more my friend. I love the game so far, and am currently doing nightmare with my barb. I love the idea of smashing and crushing enemies and completely obliterating and dominating them. I understand I may not be doing the same DPS as the ranged guys, but to hear lvl 60 barbs are getting killed in 2 shots by a wasp in act2 inferno makes my blood boil. I for one won't be rerolling. I will simply endeavor to get to act2 inferno, then put the game down, go to the gym, drink protein shakes and try to get as big as my barb is while I wait for a patch to buff the barb class.

BARBARIANS FOREVER!!!!! ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bro I played WoW warrior for 7 years and it's the exact same thing. You have to overplay, over compensate, over gear, over stratagize, over work yourself just to be on par with others. Like Marcellus Wallace said "F*** pride, only hurts it never helps".

I've played WoW for eons, and this is nothing like WoW. Yes, the gear grind is similar, in regards to time consumption. But with World of Warcraft you start to see significant changes once you began equipping superior gear. I have upgraded and upgraded my barbarian and have since little to no change in my survivability. How is that like a warrior in WoW?
Edited by Stormus#2230 on 5/22/2012 1:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Considering that 90% of barbarian players are making the same complaints with the same concerns and possibly going down the track of quitting or re rolling the 10% that are saying they're doing it easy in act 2/3 inferno need to post videos share their builds and strategies or you are nothing more then a troll.

I have 4 barbarian friends all with 45-60k health, ranging from 200/300 resist all and 5-7k damage and they're all finding it hard to survive.

And even if tanking (shield on to be a meat shield) people want to play barbarians for fun, it's a hack and slash bashing !@#$ up as a barbarian with a 2h or dual wield not be a punching bag and still find themselves running back to a merchant to repair every 30 mins.

The idiots that are comparing a barbarian to wow warriors you are compete utter dumb just dumb. Don't even bother posting cause you make yourself sound more dumb and clueless.
Edited by Marvel#6447 on 5/22/2012 1:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote

ITT: We are complaining about not being able to 2hander our barbs past nightmare.
Reply Quote
Anyways I myself was thinking about doing a post on barbs.. Im in act 3 hell level 59 with all level 54 gear and higher. with str vita and some resistance. i use a 400 dps 2 hander.. and made the mistake of buying a good 1 hander + a shield. and guess what.... I GET POO'D ON ALL DAY! i actually took the time away from playing to search on these forums to see if people were having the same problem. and YES!!! its TRUE!

I just came across this post.. read it.. and was like.. you just about said everything i wanted to say. im just as dissapointed as you. i even got a level 34 wizard and a lvl 20 demon hunter on the way.

Sad thing is.. just like previous posters have said. this will probably get deleted.
Reply Quote
want a barb kiting build ? here you go http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fSidYk!ZYf!ZcYZZZ and you need an axe to improve crit chance to regain ur fury to throw more, in case u get unlucky u have 4 fury generators that work very well with this build (especially no escape spear, u can spearlock someone (no cd when u crit)), have fun kiting
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]