Diablo® III

The Downfall of the Barbarian

85 Human Warrior
I couldn't agree more. I have played melee DPS in every game where it is an option. I do NOT want to play a tank, nor should I have to. This game should not require a tank. This game should not require a healer. If I wanted to do a 4 man group with a tank and a healer, I would keep playing Warcraft. I want Barbarians to be able to DPS and survive, without HAVING to use Tough as Nails / Nerves of Steel or a shield.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Also, I don't want to kite, I am a f*&%ing Barbarian.

If I wanted to kite, I would play a demon hunter or wizard and /LOL at how easy the game is.
Reply Quote
i have a lvl 52 barb playing in hell difficulty and it is HARD! i have 31k HP, 2H sword, 3.1k damage and 4.5k armor after all shouts. im not home right now so i dont know my resistances right now. my gear is as up to date as i can possibly afford. the barb is broken in d3 no doubt about it. i have respeced numerous times, changed my strategy to all kinds of weapon combos and nothing has worked. i usually have to kite most of the time and have to wait for cooldown. revenge is the only skill that saves me but even w/ revenge i get pwned by elite/champion packs. im about to reroll a DH/sorc class. im a d2 vet and was looking forward to an awesome DW or 2H WW/speed/executioner style barb like in d2 but the way this game is set up that is impossible.
Edited by kidobscure#1818 on 5/23/2012 11:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Pretty much the barb has 2 issues.
1) too many needed stats (i'd say the monks are in the same boat) to live leaving little room for DPS stats needed to kill stuff which is why we feel like we are hitting with wet noodles
2) Horrible weapon damage modifiers for our skills. almost all of them are in the 100-150% range unless you get into revenge, HoA, SS, and Rend(which imho doesn't do enough damage fast enough due to the dot not stacking).

So it comes down to adjusting the values for above. i think melee classes should be getting 15 or 20 hp per Vit thus freeing us up to get other stats. Also incensing the damage multipliers on our skills. Some combination of these would help out a ton.

The other major problem is the amount of melee ranged aoe's that honestly I have not clue how to deal with besides attack and run.
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 05:28 AMPosted by Valive
I really miss the days of D2 Whilwind life leach builds smashing through things leaching life as you go.. Now it all seems to be seismic slam + shattered ground because you can no longer stand toe to toe with enemys. It's sad if I wanted to play a range class and kite all the time I'd have rolled a range class. I can see why so many people are dissapointed and many just roll DH, Wiz or perhaps WD. While D3 has many great things they really lost the magic that was D2 imo.

Me too my barb was originally d2 style 2 handed whirlwind life leech but the final acts of nightmare have already evolved him into a 2 handed charger with seismic slam for hit n run. He's still fun to play but if my build is forced to become any more evasive I won't be happy. Its against a barbs nature !
Reply Quote
The barbarian itself is fine; it's the special mobs that are the problem.

Why is this so? Because you idiots incessantly complained that the game was too easy. Now it's too hard. Okay?

Also, no class is designed to tank such mobs indefinitely. Stop whining and figure out how to play your class better.
Reply Quote
The barbarian itself is fine; it's the special mobs that are the problem.

Why is this so? Because you idiots incessantly complained that the game was too easy. Now it's too hard. Okay?

Also, no class is designed to tank such mobs indefinitely. Stop whining and figure out how to play your class better.
kinda hard to kite much when all of our "kiting" skills require fury which is generated by hitting !@#$ in melee. GFTO range scrub.
Reply Quote
I don't really know about Inferno (I'm 54 in Act II on Hell atm) but so far the only problem I have really had after getting my vit up is that rare/champion mobs with any sort of ground based AOE (Desecration/Arcane/Defile etc) put down so many pools of death there is NO safe place to stand/run. So I wind up eating a ton of damage from it and then have to run till my potion button is off cool down. If Blizzard either reduced the number of AOE's mobs drop or shortened the duration of them I feel barbs would stop having as many issues. (Could be wrong on this but so far it is my only complaint.)
Reply Quote
I am currently grinding Inferno act 1. I have 900 each resistance, 8200 armor and plenty of health. Yes, I'm a tank, but can survive pretty much any champion encounter... in act I.

However, the problem occured the moment I thought I'm strong enough to go to act II (Having almost 70-75 DR in all elements and armor). The sand wisps completely owned me. Alright, after a few deaths I finished them off only to meet with the first champion spawn. No chance. I can survive for a while, but can't do anything to actually kill or help my team to kill them.

Now I'm back at grinding act 1 in hope to get something like 10k armor, over 1k resistance and 60k health. Maybe then I can take on act II. The problem here is, however, that where as I have to grind hours after hours for weeks just to survive act II, a wizard or a DH has already done it with half as bad gear. Oh and a normal, small monster killed me with two hits in act III... couldn't go futher than that.

Barbarian definitely needs something, being that even a bigger DR or more health.

And I agree it's a sad thing we are "forced" to turn into tanks in inferno.
Edited by AleisterB#2386 on 5/23/2012 6:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I edited my original post (more or less, just an update). I've got to tell you, while I am progressing with the Barbarian, it is at a snails pace. Blizzard, this is not 'fun' game design. Turning my barbarian into an elemental immune meat shield with next to no damage is not a interesting or intuitive style of play.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]