Diablo® III

Meteor is usless prove me wrong

Simple math....

Meteor 60ap- 200% wd +60% wd = 260% wd (if they stand on crater full duration.)

Arcane Torrent 20ap- 175% wd

260% wd for 60 arcane power (meteor)
vs
525% wd for 60 ap (Arcane Torrent)

Yes i know meteor is fire and forget, however AT will hit more mobs on average because you can aim it, and besides after casting meteor 2x you dont have AP to cast anything else so who cares if its fire or forget unlike hydra which does dps while you still dps.

WHAT AM I MISSING
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
You're not missing anything, you're right about meteor.
Reply Quote
I'm not sure you are missing anything...
The only thing Meteor is good for is its high damage per cast time, but I find it easier to miss then other spells and pretty under whelming.
Reply Quote
Simple math....

Meteor 60ap- 200% wd +60% wd = 260% wd (if they stand on crater full duration.)

Arcane Torrent 20ap- 175% wd

260% wd for 60 arcane power (meteor)
vs
525% wd for 60 ap (Arcane Torrent)

Yes i know meteor is fire and forget, however AT will hit more mobs on average because you can aim it, and besides after casting meteor 2x you dont have AP to cast anything else so who cares if its fire or forget unlike hydra which does dps while you still dps.

WHAT AM I MISSING

1. No

2. No

3. Just NO!

I have 173 AP. I use Star Pact. I can spam the living !@#$ out of meteor. I do it quite frequently. I probably hit what I'm aiming at 75% of the time. Bust-assing runners are a tad challenging to lead. Like, as hard as it is to pee in the dark and make sure you hit the toilet. That kind of challenging. AT sucks. The only useful rune is the mines. The rest are crap. You ever used the crazy 670% one in a pack? It hits -nothing-

Edit:

Every single meteor rune is useful. Comet? The stopping/dump power of meteor + the slowing effect of cold dmg. Star Pact? SPAMTIME. Meteor Shower? Massive AoE sized area. Molten? Slow or bottlenecked mobs (in caverns, dungeons, etc) take more fire dmg.
Edited by Elessar54R#1878 on 5/22/2012 6:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
It's not worthless really if you use Meteor Shower in conjunction with debuffed mobs that have had Conglagrate applied to them.

Each hit now does 88% weapon damage as Fire and for a grand total of 616% weapon damage for 60 AP.

Compare this to Arcane Orb with Obliterate which is 228% per cast for 35 AP making it do an effective total of 410.4 damage per 60 AP.

Not to mention Meteor is a lot easier to cast than Death Blossom and Energy Twister and make it actually hit something.

If Energy Twister actually went in a straight line then maybe.
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 5/22/2012 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
if you use it with a Siphoning Blade, you can feed it energy fast enough to fire it at the cool down rate easily, so i think it depends what other attacks you are using,

for 1v1 rather than groups, you can go in with the blades, crystal shell at the right moment and also keep raining very high dps meteorites which do you no damage, i find AT useless as I cannot target specific enemies
Reply Quote
You can also feed it with Electrocute + the +1 arcane proc and Prodigy. When I'm solo'ing Hell, great move is to creep into view distance of the summoning units and drop 3 or 4 meteors in a row on them.
Reply Quote
I use AT in combi with critical mass so that i can spam archon that's all
If you have someone to tank for you meteor is fantastic
You will need AP pool + regening passive + signature to allow yourself to spam
Use the right rune too
If you ever tried meteor shower in confined space, you should
7 small meteors on 1 creep make you the boss
You just need to explore the skills and use them in the right situation
Reply Quote
I used to like meteor in parties because of the dot effect and the fact you can spam it at a distance to get 4 meteors on a group of mobs before they even notice you.

I stopped using it when you had to start running around more
Reply Quote
Meteors a pretty flashly skill tough =]. I use it for fun.. Idk if it's good or not.. Cause I'm always switching builds. I liked the meteor shower or the ice version.
Edited by RuthlessAB#1223 on 5/22/2012 6:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Im curently runing a defensive build on Hell with spectral blade(siphoning blade) and Meteor(star pact) as my offensive spells. If i gather a nice sized mob and throw down Slow Time(time warp) i can throw multiple meteors on the group which anihilates the entire group.
Meteor isnt worthless you its just harder to use.
Reply Quote
While Meteor is poor to merely average in solo play, it is one of the best group-play spells around.

There are a variety of ways to spec and gear for it. My personal favorite in group play is Living Lightning + Arcane Dynamo + Meteor Shower. Living Lightning attacks so quickly and hits so many things at once that it gives you virtually instant 5-stack on Flash of Insight which you can then use to launch a +75% damage Meteor Shower that simply wrecks groups faster than anything imaginable.
Reply Quote
Meteor has really high potential, I think - look at Comet + Blizzard Combo - you get really good damage b/c of the cold blooded proc by blizzard, plus all the associated slows that come with it (60% slow). The highest damage per AP is, I think, meteor shower, assuming a fire hydra proc for conflagration.
This isn't what makes meteor bad - what makes it bad is its rather limited use in solo play. With fast mobs, especially champion/fast types, you are going to suffer in later difficulties. It really just isn't as reliable as arcane orb, which most people tend to use.
Reply Quote
you are completely wrong

meteor has no travelling path, only impact delay
AT and AO must travel to the target = failed against waller

each spells have their own use
Reply Quote
I posted a guide with metoer but people lauhged. AP cost is trivial. With the right build, you can generate AP faster than you can use. I used living lightning with prodigy. If you want, you can thow in magic weapon:conduit, and you can fill your entire AP bar on a pack of mobs in less than a second. That being said, it's pretty frustrating using metor, because it lends itself to a hard-slow hitting weapon like a 2h, which creates a long cast time, which in turn only exacerbates the fact that there is a dely after casting. This makes you miss a lot if you have to kite. But if you can stand there with a good barb, you can faceroll hell mode.
Reply Quote
It's just not a solo skill. If you have a front-liner in your group, meteor has a lot of potential and a bunch of amazing runes.
Reply Quote
The damage is better than you're giving it credit for, and the ability to fire-and-forget is absolutely invaluable--you often don't have time for anything else. The other two big perks:

1) I've so far seen it has a pretty substantial ability to make enemies flinch, even large ones, interrupting attack and movement. Firing into a group of enemies surrounding either yourself or an ally, it can help a lot in keeping friendlies alive.

2) One big crit can kill even moderately healthy monsters instantly.

I think Star Pact is easily the best rune for it--it offers far more overall damage increase than Molten just from being able to cast an extra meteor or two (assuming you have something boosting your arcane power a little) and Meteor Shower is a little too spread out for really good damage (except against very large targets who will definitely get hit by every meteor--I bet it's pretty good against Azmodan, for example.)
Reply Quote
the biggest problem with meteor (ignoring the massive cost, even using star impact or w/e) is the delay on casting.

With that delay it is almost completely useless for solo play, but pretty decent for group play.
Reply Quote
meteor + arcane dynamo is viable.

But meteor's runes stink. Period. Star pact allows you to cast it twice for essentially the same ap cost, which beats all of the other runes outright since you get double damage
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]