Diablo® III

still missing Scabbard of Talic the Defender

90 Human Paladin
has anyone seen it recently and if so where?
Reply Quote
It's in the Watch Tower Level 2 that spawns in Northern Highlands.
Reply Quote
Easiest way to get it is to either get a character to the checkpoint just before the hunting grounds or to use the waypoint in northern highlands. Head to the side of the cliff to check for the watchtower and if it's there, run it. If not, log out and start up a different game.

On level 2 of the tower you will see a merchant in the room with you as you zone in. If he's not there you can either run the tower for the stuff (depending on your level/your alt character levels it may or may not be worth it) or just log out and start over.

It took me 10-15 runs of the tower itself, and a number of northern highlands runs did not have a tower spawned.. (I didn't count. It was quite a few.)
Edited by Corwynn#1387 on 5/22/2012 11:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've been at it for about 4 hours now trying to get this lore book. I've probably reset Northern Highlands about 100 times and seen the tower much less than that, still no go.

EDIT: My friends think I'm nuts and I should just get to Inferno already, but I'm an achievement !@#$%.

EDIT 2: Wooo finally got him a few minutes after making this post, awesome! Guess he's just very rare.

EDIT 3: He happened to be selling a Spirit Stone so I could finally finish the "Shut Up And Take My Money" achievement!
Edited by Glowyrm#1132 on 5/23/2012 9:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Glowyrm - good for you. Like you, I've been at this Lore Book quest for several hours. I've just spent 4 hrs logging on, fast traveling to the Northern Highlands, searching for the tower, logging off ..rinse and repeat. I've found that the Tower shows up about 1 out of 3 times. I also noticed that lv 2 dungeon layout is also random. I'm bored and frustrated with these "rare" locations and collectibles showing up. If I might impose..

1. On lv 2, where exactly does the merchant show up? First room you enter?
2. Do you have to completely log-off of game or just "leave game" and hit resume at your latest checkpoint. (For me, I've completed Act 1 with my Monk. The Caravan Leader is waiting for me). So I just start here always.

Any help would be appreciated.
Edited by Fenix#1339 on 5/24/2012 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am currently at it. The tower spawn rate is kinda high for me but the merchant never showed up yet.

Fenix, u can just TP back to tristram then leave game and resume game to reset the map
Edited by Sao#2996 on 5/26/2012 5:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have personally done literally over 100 runs of watch tower hell and normal combined, over 200 games, and have spent the entire day trying to get the merchant. STILL NOTHING.

This is suppose to be an achievement, not a lottery.

/endrant
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
When you enter the tower, just cruise through the first floor. If you have Leap or Teleport you can skip down to the second floor stairs if they're located below you.
The event begins right as you enter the second floor. If you don't see Vendel, leave game and try again.
Reply Quote
Found him, did the quest but he sold Rare Crossbow and other items. No Spirit Stone, disappointing. It was my 3rd run anyway ^^
Reply Quote
I'm not spawning the merchant at all. I've been at this for 2 days now and hundreds of runs. If i wanted to play the damn lottery, i would have bought my tickets long ago.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I hate this so much. :/ It's a harder farm than Chiltarra.
Reply Quote
I'm sad to hear how difficult this one is. I just started looking for it and I have very low hopes of finding it before breaking down and curling into the fetal position whilst crying and sucking my thumb.
Reply Quote
haha, never mind. I found it on my 4th time through. I was on inferno
Reply Quote
^
Edited by Optimo#1882 on 11/27/2012 12:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
Here's my experience of all this. I played several times as a Demon Hunter, lvl 16, and the Watch Tower spawned probably 9/10 times, however i never saw the merchant. Then i switched to my lvl 39 Monk, still playing in normal mode, and I had the Scoundrel with me who said something like 'Now what's this?' before I enetered, and I found the merchant right when I eneterd the second level! So the difficulty level probably doesnt matter, but maybe the level of your character? Or we're all just very unlucky lol... But playing as a DH i had the Templar following me and out of 15 times he never said anything when we saw the Watch Tower, so when the scoundrel said something when he saw the Watch Tower, it just felt like a sign or something lol. Anyone else had their follower saying something when you eneterd?
Reply Quote
Ive had the scoundrel say that line when approaching the tower, merchant wasnt there.
Reply Quote
^
Edited by Optimo#1882 on 11/27/2012 12:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Just to add:
I got it as level 17 Enchantress, Templar follower

As it said above, portal in, check west border for tower, if not, leave game.

Event NPC was right at zone in of level 2 of the tower.

Took about 20ish tower spawns, got the tower about 1/3 of the games.
Reply Quote
took me about 2 hours to get him to spawn, he popped up just now when i was about to give up
normal mode, 59 hc dh with templar

i can just only guess how many towers i needed, could've been close to 100.
Edited by Andi#2233 on 6/6/2012 4:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I got it not that long ago (2-3 days), simply had to reload the game a few different times and then the quest was there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]