Diablo® III

Templar better tank than Gargantuan?

Title says it all. I did normal with a templar follower, nightmare with the scoundrel, and hell with the enchantress. I believe, for a witch doctor, that the templar is easily the best follower we could have and can be equipped to survive his job as a tank (set bonuses work for followers).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
The Gargantuan is useless if your stats that he gains are 'useless.'
The Templar cannot ever be fully killed and was pretty much designed to tank for you in solo-play.
Reply Quote
Use them both, then you can have two tanks!

Harder Difficulty = Increased Enemy Hit Points and Damage - Brilliant
Reply Quote
Yes he is. Mostly because he has actual tanking skills.

However, your gargantuan should be a very good tank if you yourself have good HP and armor. He inherits his defensive stats from you so throw on a shield and get some vitality if he's not hanging in there long enough.
Reply Quote
Yes he is. Mostly because he has actual tanking skills.

However, your gargantuan should be a very good tank if you yourself have good HP and armor. He inherits his defensive stats from you so throw on a shield and get some vitality if he's not hanging in there long enough.

"Their damage is based on your weapon damage, which means it's also boosted by your intelligence. They benefit from your armor and resistances, but not your vitality."

As said by Dracos.

Essentially pets only benefit from strength (defense) and intelligence (dmg reduction)
Edited by ChickenHide#1139 on 5/23/2012 4:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have a feeling that the best way to keep Garg alive is through a combination of Fierce Loyalty and stacking +life on hit.

At which point, you spec the Big Stinker rune on him.

I have yet to test it myself, but even vs. one enemy, Garg (with Big Stinker) should be able to gain thousands of life just by standing near one enemy, much less a hoard of them, due to the poison ticking in an aoe around him every second.

Couple that with the resistances and armor you impart to them, and he should be much tankier.

Of course you could always throw in Jungle Fortitude and get an extra 20% reduced off of all damage on top of that too.

And you yourself could also benefit at that point by adding a bit of attack speed, so you can take advantage of + life on hit with other skills like Poison Dart runed with Splinters (Which most non Vision Quest builds seem to like running anyways).

To get back on topic, I'm pretty sure Templar outclasses the other followers for tanking skill, of course, but probably doesn't out-tank Garg. My Templar seems to have an aversion to tanking much of anything, though he does get overzealous with the Charge skill a lot.
Edited by VespaVictim#1410 on 5/23/2012 5:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]