Diablo® III

Dial-in authenticator

I recently decided to look into an extra layer of security for my blizzard account and read up a bit on your offered authenticators. I've actually never had any account security issues in the many years I've played blizzard games, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I do my best to practice safe internet habits and that seems to have served me well over the years.

To get to the point, I signed up for the dial-in authenticator, primarily for further safeguarding my Diablo III endeavors. Love the game so far by the way! However, according to the dial-in authenticator FAQ (http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-dial-in-authenticator-faq), it states the dial-in authenticator is "not currently compatible with Starcraft II or Diablo III", with a last updated date of yesterday, May 22nd 2012. Is this an oversight on the FAQ page or is this indeed correct? Again, I primarily have Diablo III in mind in regards to further security. Thanks for the responses in advance.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Steadfast,

Dial-in authenticators won't work with Diablo III. They're quite limited and do not take the place of a regular standalone or mobile authenticator at all. They're just a supplement to security; an added measure, but currently not for Diablo III.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-dial-in-authenticator-faq#q-7

wow.
Reply Quote
Ok, thanks for the quick response. I will look into the other authenticators.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
So the advice we're being given (to give blizzard money for an authenticator that is not actually stopping peoples accounts from being compromised.) doesn't actually support D3 properly?

wow.

The Dial In model is FREE. That is the one that does not work with D3. You are not being asked to give any money for it. Please do some research before you say such things.

The advice being given is to get a Mobile Authenticator of the keyfob one. So far there are no proven reports of accounts being compromised with them assuming they are set to ask for the code on each log in.

Mobile Authenticator DOES Work (as far as we know) - It is also FREE
Keyfob Authenticator DOES Work (as far as we know) - It is $6.50 which covers shipping to you.
Reply Quote
I did the dial in authenticator and it worked for me because i didnt wanna spend money on something that i wont use like with the star wars key fob which you have to use every time you log into the game and its a real pain sometimes
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Rosewood, just please be aware that while it may have helped you if you had a WoW account, it is NOT as secure (stated many times by blues) and is not supported for D3. Also, setting something to ask every time is honestly the most secure, even if it is not convenient. Of course, if you want to take that risk it is up to you.
Reply Quote
One thing nobody points out is that mobile authenticators (for non-smart phone users) are only available to people from selected countries (US, Australia, NZ, and the Americas), while Diablo 3 is available to play for people worldwide. Therefore, what Blizzard is saying here is that people from countries not listed (Japan, for example) have to buy a smartphone or remain screwed.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Aniirony you misunderstand how the authenticators work.

There is NO authenticator for non-smart phone users at all. (Dial in does not count because it does not work in D3)

Mobile Authenticator is FREE for iPhone users and while not available in all regions, is available in many. http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-mobile-authenticator-faq#q16

The keyfob authenticator is $6.50 and can be shipped many places. http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-authenticator-faq Basically if you can have something shipped from the Bliz store to you..then you can get that one. I have one myself.

So, if you do not have a smartphone get the keyfob! Shipping may be more to Japan though...
Edited by MissCheetah#1661 on 5/23/2012 8:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MissCheetah, did you even visit the storefront of keyfob authenticators? I know you mean well, but trust me, I have checked out the storefront with full intention of getting one.

They are only available, depending on model, to selected countries. My country happens not to be on the list. I am screwed, therefore, of a chance to protect myself. And even if the free version is available in my country, iPhones don't come cheap where I live.
Edited by antiirony#6224 on 5/23/2012 8:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
I have checked it and bought one :) It was very long ago though when they were first released. WoW players often have a friend buy it and ship it to them and as far as I know they work but I don't have insight into the account setup so can't say for sure. Maybe a blue can confirm?
Reply Quote
See, that's what frustrates me. I don't want to single you out, but you purchased an authenticator "long ago".

I don't play WoW, I played D2 offline, and D3 is my first experience playing online using Blizzard's Battle.net service. I've played MMORPGs like Allods, Runes of Magic, etc, so I am aware of the measures needed to protect my account. But it's certainly shocking to learn that my account on Battle.net was hacked two days after I started playing!

Very well, I'd go get an authenticator. I'm not interested in blaming anyone. But it's frustrating to get no response from the customer service, and coming here to find many people telling the hacked victims that they should have gotten an authenticator. On my part, how do I get one? I've asked this question. No answer.

I just want a clear answer. What is happening to my account. I agreed to let them roll back my account. That was days ago. Still no response. I want an answer, and frankly, I'm tired of people telling me that all my problems will be solved with this magical authenticator. If that is the case, why isn't it available to me?

And why isn't it bundled with the Diablo 3 purchase if it is so essential for online play? Even a sticker on the box, something like "Additional security measures for $6.95" would have been appreciated so I'd have known what to expect when I paid money for this game.
Edited by antiirony#6224 on 5/23/2012 9:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
See, that's what frustrates me. I don't want to single you out, but you purchased an authenticator "long ago".

I don't play WoW, I played D2 offline, and D3 is my first experience playing online using Blizzard's Battle.net service. I've played MMORPGs like Allods, Runes of Magic, etc, so I am aware of the measures needed to protect my account. But it's certainly shocking to learn that my account on Battle.net was hacked two days after I started playing!

Very well, I'd go get an authenticator. I'm not interested in blaming anyone. But it's frustrating to get no response from the customer service, and coming here to find many people telling the hacked victims that they should have gotten an authenticator. On my part, how do I get one? I've asked this question. No answer.

I just want a clear answer. What is happening to my account. I agreed to let them roll back my account. That was days ago. Still no response. I want an answer, and frankly, I'm tired of people telling me that all my problems will be solved with this magical authenticator. If that is the case, why isn't it available to me?

And why isn't it bundled with the Diablo 3 purchase if it is so essential for online play? Even a sticker on the box, something like "Additional security measures for $6.95" would have been appreciated so I'd have known what to expect when I paid money for this game.

Exactly the point I have been trying to say, we aren't educated well enough to know that there exists an authenticator that can protect you from this account compromise. We just need an answer, a solution and just continue on playing this wonderful game.
Reply Quote
@antiirony - atleast they told you your account was compromised, they told me that nothing happened and they weren't going to do anything.......

That being said they are really pushing the authenticators that you have to buy

1) dial-in authenticators does not work for diablo 3 or starcraft 2(your battle.net account is the same for both btw)
2) they tell you that you need to have a smartphone and download the mobile app, as if I need another 200 dollar bill and contract just to be able to secure my battle.net account for a game that should offer and offline mode.
3)they tell you that you need to purchase for an additional 6.50$ US a little usb shaped device used for millitary and high profile network offices to secure confidential data from prying eyes, which only works a short while and has easily been hacked through before if someone goes through the back door(I work for a shipping company, one of the things we get a lot are people who have to send their computers back to tech support to be devirused or repairs due to they worms or viruses getting around the security measures even through normal means(look up slanesh virus and USB drives if you want proof))

point being, that your options are limited, very limited, and its basically saying that blizzard customers need to spend 6.50 additional on their games or purchase a smartphone in order to get one for free, its like making me choose betweem walking on hot coals, or sticking my hand in a jar of angry bees, sure one hurts less but both are painful and should not be tried normally, with one having the potential of backfiring completely.
Reply Quote
Steadfast,

Dial-in authenticators won't work with Diablo III. They're quite limited and do not take the place of a regular standalone or mobile authenticator at all. They're just a supplement to security; an added measure, but currently not for Diablo III.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-dial-in-authenticator-faq#q-7

They why does the support info say that the Dial-in authenticator IS acceptable for a higher balance on your Battlenet Balance? Better yet why does Blizzard offer a product called an authenticator that it admits isn't up to authentication standards and it also doesn't support?
Reply Quote
btw op an ipod touch will also work you need an iphone and iOS device will work
or any android device as well you can cheap android tablets on ebay

and yea i dont get why they havent been putting them boxes at lest in the CE ver
i really thing they should have offer a game SKU for WoW SC2 and D3 with one in the box

btw the keyfob ones are basically free the cost covers shipping and thats about it lol
Edited by Elios#1478 on 5/24/2012 1:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is unbelievable.

Blizzard is offering everyone additional layers of protection for their Battle.net accounts. Protection far beyond what you normally receive with a username:password scheme.

Yet somehow, in a world of strange twisted priorities, you are complaining.
Because Blizzard employees aren't personally flying to your house and handing you a free keychain.

Because they developed an application that, god forbid, requires something to run on. While we're at it, !@#$ the fact that I need a computer to check email. What's that all about? I want to check email and authentication codes through my bumhole.

Some of you people are nuts.
Edited by Komlat#2558 on 5/24/2012 4:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You have a computer to play the game on, but a free smart phone app is ludicrous? It's optional security. For free. It's not blizzard's fault phones cost money, why not get angry because you can't afford a computer to run Diablo?

I haven't tested this, but for everyone complaining that a free smartphone app isn't good enough... have you tried an android emulator on your computer?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The keychain authenticator costs as much as a fast food value meal and people are complaining it's a cash grab for Blizzard.

/sigh
Reply Quote
There are other ways of getting a mobile authenticator if you do not have a mobile phone.

Do some research before you become the condemning all knowing person.

Virtual systems with an Android OS - Google it, it's not hard to set up and since you have a powerful enough computer to play D3, you can easily set up a virtual box with a free operating system and then download the mobile authenticator (which works on an android OS) which is a mobile OS.

I did this when Swtor first came out with theirs and I was in the middle of switching phones.

1. Download Virtual Box from Oracle's Virtual box website (you can find it on google by typing virtual box)
2. download a 3.x or 4.x version of android and save it to the computer.
3. Launch Virtual box, go through the setup, choose Android as the operating system.
4. When inside of the OS, go to the android market and search for blizzard authenticator.
5. Set it up on your account.

There you go, no need for a smart phone.

Feel smarter now?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]