Diablo® III

Finally got hacked.

(Locked)

My account was cleaned out by some jerk...

I assure you that I have no keyloggers, no malicious 3rd party stuff, no phishing or pw sharing... someone, somehow gained access to my account

Now to protect myself, you suggest I buy an authenticator.

You want me to give my credit card info, to buy protection, from a company that couldn't protect my info.

You see how I'm not rushing to the Blizz store to buy an authenticator right?
My account was cleaned out by some jerk...

I assure you that I have no keyloggers, no malicious 3rd party stuff, no phishing or pw sharing... someone, somehow gained access to my account

Now to protect myself, you suggest I buy an authenticator.

You want me to give my credit card info, to buy protection, from a company that couldn't protect my info.

You see how I'm not rushing to the Blizz store to buy an authenticator right?

Boo hoo...

No authenticator? Too bad...your fault.
85 Dwarf Hunter

The government lies all the time, but they won't save Blizzard. They will hammer them to collect the fees and fines. Blizzard isn't part of the government and I am sure plenty of government officials are trying to figure out how they are going to use this situation to explain to the public why we need to protect ourselves from the internets in order to create corporate lobbyist backed laws regarding our public safety and well being while surfing the internets. Just another reason to put the web on lockdown.

Just to clarify, I was not integrating Blizzard and the US Government, just implying that it's clearly plausible to lie to mass amounts of people and get away with it.

I know, and what I am saying is that the government is the watchdog, but when the government does it, who is their watchdog?
It seems that if you have a level 60, authenticator or not, you will lose all of your items.

It finally happened to me, 4 hours after I hit level 60 on my first character.

Blizzard needs to do something about this. Take the damn servers down until you find the exploit, if you have to.

It seems that if you have scrambled eggs and ham for breakfast you will get in a car accident.

It finally happened to me, 4 hours after I ate scrambled eggs and ham I drove 140 mph through a red light and was in a car accident.

Government needs to do something about this. Turn off the traffic lights until you find the exploit if you have to.
I never played WOW, i'm a D2 guy, back for D3... this authenticator stuff is foreign to me...

If an authenticator is a NECESSARY part of the game, why didn't it come with the game I bought?

Why is an authenticator an "after-market" item? Sounds like racketeering to me...

Say what you will, but after this, no way Blizz gets my credit card info.... I guess its Torchlight 2 for me...

http://xkcd.com/936/

This.
I've been level 60 for days. Have an authenticator. Haven't been hacked.

Oh, anecdotal evidence is fun!

You can't "assure" that you don't have anything like this on your system. "Hackers" are more clever than you are.
Edited by Seraphi#1863 on 5/25/2012 10:09 AM PDT
im not sure whats going on for me but everyday after i log back in from the night before all my gold is gone, no items no gear just all my gold is gone. I remember last night have about 180k gold and i log in this morning and have 0 gold...
why the hell would i have zero gold, i bought something from the ah last night that cost 40k so that would put me at 140k gold left yet i have 0, i dont know how i was hacked or what happened.

I do not have an authenticator but i just bought one, but its so dumb cause only my gold is gone and none of my high tier gems or gear?

Read the blue post made about the hacking.

In that post, it is directly stated that no instances of account compromise have involved accounts that had authenticators attached prior to the compromise, and that "session spoofing" was investigated but has been determined as an impossibility.

05/22/2012 12:21 AMPosted by Bashiok
While the authenticator isn't a 100% guarantee of account security, we have yet to investigate a compromise report in which an authenticator was attached beforehand.

It doesnt mean its impossible. You think they're going to come out and say they have a massive breach of security?

You're guilty of the same thing as those you criticize, believing whatever crap you want to.

and yet you ignore the part were they say NO ONE WITH AN AUTHENTICATOR HAS BEEN HACKED. do you people think before you type?
If an authenticator is a NECESSARY part of the game, why didn't it come with the game I bought?

Why is an authenticator an "after-market" item? Sounds like racketeering to me...

It's up to you to determine if you value the safety of your account to the extent that an Authenticator makes sense. For me, it does. I can't speak for you, but if your concern is that you may get compromised it's quite honestly one of the best mechanisms to mitigate that risk.

As far as "racketeering"; the IOS/Android Mobile Authenticator is free for those platforms if you have a supported smartphone. The physical token Authenticator is $6.50USD with free shipping. Blizzard makes no money on the physical token. The same token from my credit union costs upwards of $40USD.

love,
shmoo
It seems that if you have a level 60, authenticator or not, you will lose all of your items.

It finally happened to me, 4 hours after I hit level 60 on my first character.

Blizzard needs to do something about this. Take the damn servers down until you find the exploit, if you have to.

It seems that if you have scrambled eggs and ham for breakfast you will get in a car accident.

It finally happened to me, 4 hours after I ate scrambled eggs and ham I drove 140 mph through a red light and was in a car accident.

Government needs to do something about this. Turn off the traffic lights until you find the exploit if you have to.

That sums up the issue nicely.
Same here man. I just got hit up about an hour ago. I even changed my password 2 days ago to something I have never used online. I never got hacked in WoW (though me selling grey items to a vendor from my work computer resulted in a "trigger") and I find it odd that just after hitting 60, I got hit.

I logged in this morning, 5 minutes later I got bumped for someone else accessing my account and they changed the password before I could do anything. I haven't even played in a single public game.

I don't know what the problem is, but I don't buy the explanation of hackers having passwords for months when I just changed my password 2 days ago. Just smells too fishy. Hopefully my save point isn't too far back.
Edited by Uebermann#1544 on 5/25/2012 10:15 AM PDT
What i find so funny is how the community blames the person that got hacked telling them that its there fault and they should give blizzard an extra $10 for a POS key chain device.

Really it like if you neighbor's house got robbed and you say to him "it's you fault since you did't have a security system". Is a security system a good investment? Yeah probably better then nothing (where i live the avg police response time is 45 mins for residential alarms). But in the ends it's the criminal that robbed him that is at fault not the victim. Whats really crazy is 40 years ago my dad used to never lock his front door and would leave his car key in the ignition and never once was he robbed or had his car stolen.
What i find so funny is how the community blames the person that got hacked telling them that its there fault and they should give blizzard an extra $10 for a POS key chain device.

Really it like if you neighbor's house got robbed and you say to him "it's you fault since you did't have a security system". Is a security system a good investment? Yeah probably better then nothing (where i live the avg police response time is 45 mins for residential alarms). But in the ends it's the criminal that robbed him that is at fault not the victim. Whats really crazy is 40 years ago my dad used to never lock his front door and would leave his car key in the ignition and never once was he robbed or had his car stolen.

Times have changed.
61 Undead Rogue
Stop blaming people for being hacked. A large portion of this player base have never played WoW and have no clue what an authenticator is, what it's for, or why the even need it. Telling a person has been the victim of this hacking that it's 'their fault' isn't helping them one bit.

If they've never played WoW, had prior experience with B-Net and mainly played single-player offline games, your average person wouldn't have a clue that if they're going to play Blizz's games, an authenticator is basically mandatory these days.

The tokens aren't included in the boxes because they're made by Vasco, not Blizz. Vasco mainly makes the authenticators for banks/financial organizations and it's not feasable for them to make 6.5 + million tokens to put in the boxes. They're being sold at cost and my understanding is they are quite a bit more expensive on the financial-industries end. While I wish they would come in the box, I think alot of people would just toss them aside until a hacking happened. (i.e. I've never been hacked before, why would I need this?)

I'm appalled at the D3 community's treatment of people who are being hacked. Your fellow players are the victim here. They're feeling rotten enough about having everything they've worked hard for being handed over to a lvl 1 mule and sold off for the upcoming RMAH. The vast majority of you are making it 10 times worse for them, just because you 'can'. The 'D3 Community' is flat out sick bunch of people who seem to thrive on inflicting as much misery as they can.
85 Orc Shaman
To the OP. No matter what you say you wont win this. Cheerleaders are being paid to stop playing the game and run to the forums to shoot down any and all "hacked" claims.

Theyll copy and paste authenticator to death. So everyones now required to have the optional secondary additional security measure aka an authenticator. If you dont have any form of the "not required" but now required optional secondary additional security measure well thats all your fault.

Get authenticators so these cheerleaders can get back to playing inferno mode of their favorite game from their favorite game dev pls.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]