Diablo® III

armour vs resist all

from what i'm reading on threads, most people just aim to achieve resist all for inferno. i've rarely(barely) seen any mention on +armour
why is this so? is armour really that worthless compared to resist all
Reply Quote
I do try to get best armor possible for all my gear, by using only level 60 items...and +armor on gear is always a big PLUS for me, even if it's not a main priority.
Reply Quote
because the modifiers for armor is less important. Your going to stack a lot more armor then resists no matter what. My shield has more armor on it then my highest resist.

If I want a new shield and one has 40 to all resists and 900 armor and the other has 15 to all resists but 1400 armor I am going to get the 40 to all resists because the armor difference is only 500 and I have like like 10k armor (i dont remember I just made that up)
Reply Quote
because the modifiers for armor is less important. Your going to stack a lot more armor then resists no matter what. My shield has more armor on it then my highest resist.

If I want a new shield and one has 40 to all resists and 900 armor and the other has 15 to all resists but 1400 armor I am going to get the 40 to all resists because the armor difference is only 500 and I have like like 10k armor (i dont remember I just made that up)

>wizard
>uses shield
Reply Quote
Armor is equal to resist all. Armor reduces all damage, just as resist all does. The return you will get for either armor or resist all depends on your current levels. Both are important.

Typically, resist all will give you more %damage reduction because most characters don't have much resistances, but they have higher armor values. However, a certain value of armor will beat a lesser value of resist all.

The character sheet can also help you determine what increases you get. Just look at the delta when you change gear. The simple mouse-over equip screen (the one with dps, life, and protection deltas) will prove you with some indication, although I think this indication is only from armor changes.

It's easy to determine what any given piece gains you in return. To look at your resistance changes, you'll have to open the details menu on your character sheet and log a before and after number for any change in resistance. At low values, a small amount of resist all will gain you a large %, far beyond anything a low level of armor would net you because of diminishing returns.

Kripparian gives a brief explanation of how this works, which may help you out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uVdmdzfb0
Edited by Jorderon#1192 on 5/29/2012 7:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I remember someone saying something along the lines of "1 resist all = 10 armor", which, given the diminishing returns system in place, sounds about right.

So that item with 40 resist all? You could also think of it as having +400 armor. It's a biiig deal.

Also, they stack with each other. Multiplicatively, apparently. So you want as much of both as you can get.
Edited by Zyrusticae#1144 on 5/29/2012 7:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I remember someone saying something along the lines of "1 resist all = 10 armor", which, given the diminishing returns system in place, sounds about right.

So that item with 40 resist all? You could also think of it as having +400 armor. It's a biiig deal.

Also, they stack with each other. Multiplicatively, apparently. So you want as much of both as you can get.

Roughly correct. From http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/Thread-Diablo-3-formula-list ,

Defense
Total damage reduction = 1 - ((1 - DR from Armor) × (1 - DR from Resistance) × (1 - other DR))
Physical damage reduction = Armor / (50 × Monster Level + Armor)
Elemental damage reduction = Resistance / (5 × Monster Level + Resistance)

So 1 resist all is about equivalent to 10 armor.
Reply Quote
i'm not sure exactly how these mechanics work but there is something called physical resistance...so resist all doesn't just resist elemental forces but physical as well.

I was always under the impression that armor and resistance stacked together multiplicatively in some formula.
Reply Quote
Things that reduce your physical damage income.

Armor: This works on all the damage you take, so of course physical as well.

Physical Resist: Gotten on items or as part of +Resist all Elements gear, does as the name suggests and reduces all PHYSICAL damage you take.

Melee / Ranged Damage Reduction: Gotten occasionally on pieces of gear or with passives (Blur).

I'm not sure how they're all factored in, I'd imagine it was just one after the other but I'm not sure.

Example: Monster hit for 100k, you have 50% reduc from armor, reduces to 50k. 50% reduction from physical, reduces to 25k. 20% reduction from melee, 20k.

Effective mitigation, 80%.
Reply Quote
hey thanks for all the replies!
inferno act II and invulnerable minions-vortex-jailer-mortar are a real pain in the !@#, really wanted to know how the armour-resistall thing combines to reduce dmg
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]