Diablo® III

BUG: Frame Skipping / Camera Stutter

(Locked)

Same exact issue. Though I average about 40fps on high settings, I am getting these micro stutters whenever I move around, and there is no noticeable correlation between these stutters and frame-rate drops. Hopefully this will be corrected in the upcoming patch.

core i7 2.00 ghz
8gigs of ram
radeon 6770m
Joe - I tried enabling/disabling mouse pointer precision and it made absolutely no difference on the 2 systems I tried. Stutter still present. It is a game engine issue, most likely something to do with frame rendering code, nothing we can fix on our end. (and fwiw, I do *not* get this stutter in Starcraft, or any other game... JUST Diablo)

06/17/2012 11:03 AMPosted by walk2k

Just so you know, the developers do not read the Bug Report section of the forums.
wow just wow

my thoughts exactly, wow!
Graysdir - Which pointer precision option are you referring to? FYI I'm not talking about the "Enhance Pointer Precision" option in Windows - I mean the option in SC2 called "Reduce Mouse Lag" - apologies for calling it by the wrong term before. As far as I know, D3 has no similar option.

FWIW, I agree with you completely, this is an engine issue. If I'm not mistaken, SC2 is a variation of the same engine - it may not stutter on your system, but for whatever reason it produces almost identical behavior on mine, easily seen when scrolling around maps (especially larger ones). My shoot-from-the-hip reasoning is that whatever causes this issue is more prevalent in D3, and that whatever the RML option does to fix it in SC2 would perhaps do the same here.

Anyways, I'm just frustrated, and instead of rage-posting anti-Blizzard hate, I'm venting by firing off a random purely observation-based hypothesis. It's all pointless in the end because as you said, there's not a bloody thing any of us can do about it, whatever the cause may be.
Well said, Joe! Lets hope Bliz is taking this seriously. This stutter gives me a headache. In act 3 and 4, Bliz seems to have taken "screen shake" to a whole new level, so that, coupled with this stutter makes those 2 acts a horror story for me.

This bug was originally reported in Oct 2011 during beta, so Blizzard has known about it for at least 8 months now. I truly hope they CAN fix it. At this point, I wonder why this wasn't fixed before release, if it was indeed fixable. It must be noticable on some of their test systems. It happens on all 4 systems I have tried it on!

I do feel a bit better knowing Vasadan is looking into it. If he can reproduce it, hopefully it will get fixed.
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 6/18/2012 1:11 PM PDT
Blizzard Employee
Hey guys,

So patch 1.0.3 is coming out soon and it will contain several Mac and PC performance improvements. This is to let you know that this specific issue may not be fixed with the new patch.

We are still actively researching this issue, and I cannot confirm whether or not the 1.0.3 patch will fully fix this issue as it is fixing a lot of issues. If it does not fix your issue, keep posting your results here and we will hopefully get a real fix in for the next patch.

Thanks again for your patience and information!
Thanks for the update, Vasadan. Nice of you to drop by! We'll definately let you know if we see any improvements in 1.0.3.

Just curious, have you been able to recreate this issue in QA?
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 6/18/2012 8:32 PM PDT
Yup, thanks Vasadan - I'm cautiously optimistic about 1.0.3. But my optimism is probably a side effect of the high I'm on right now, since the shiny new Nvidia beta drivers have FINALLY killed the vsync stutter on my 680. One issue down, one to go!

At any rate, any performance improvements are welcome. I'll definitely post tomorrow with any updates I have after the patch.
Patch 1.0.3 results: Still stutters. Possibly a little less stutter when running through the same area repeatedly, but not fixed... Besides, when actually playing, you are always entering new areas.

Also, now... the FPS counter stays at 0. It used to spin rapidly.

At this point, I doubt Blizzard is able to fix this. We still don't even know if QA has been able to reproduce the issue.
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 6/19/2012 10:46 AM PDT
Bummer. Not a shock, though. If it's been around for this long, it probably isn't going anywhere. Odd about the FPS counter ... they couldn't make it read correctly, so they just made it not read at all?

I find it hard to believe they would be unable to reproduce this issue. I certainly haven't had to try to very hard (as in at all) to spot it on any system I've seen it run on. Whatever it is, it definitely seems location-dependant. Spots like New Tristram, Caldeum, and Acts III & IV are consistently the worst offenders. Other spots I can run from one end to the other with barely a hiccup, all hell breaking loose the entire way.

Random thought ... could it be related to friendly/npc AIs? As in the more of them around, the worse it gets? That seems to be the only consistent factor in these locations. In spots where it's just me any my follower, hitches are minimal to non-existent. Town / hubs / areas with non-hostile AI's running around (questgivers / soldiers / angels) are jaw-clenchingly bad. I know other games (Fallout: NV) have had performance issues with NPC clusters, so it wouldn't be without precedent ...

Anyway, who knows. If we keep tossing around ideas, maybe one of our brain farts will inspire Blizzard's testers to nail down this bug and kill it dead. Otherwise, we just have to deal.
Hey guys,

So patch 1.0.3 is coming out soon and it will contain several Mac and PC performance improvements. This is to let you know that this specific issue may not be fixed with the new patch.

We are still actively researching this issue, and I cannot confirm whether or not the 1.0.3 patch will fully fix this issue as it is fixing a lot of issues. If it does not fix your issue, keep posting your results here and we will hopefully get a real fix in for the next patch.

it was fine until 1.0.3 ... now my problem is similar with TS.
Its possible, Joe. I also notice I always get a few stutters as I pass the Inn in Tristram, and once as I get near the cellar where Hedrigs wife is. its Less noticable in some dungeons, etc. Its really horrible in act 3 and act 4... along with any town. However sometimes I get stutters when it seems that there are no npcs around.
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 6/19/2012 3:07 PM PDT
Patch didn't do jack, but add smooth shadows option. :/ I'm still getting the stuttering. Pisses me off, since I got the CE of the game. I'm about to the point of trying the 16gb flash drive trick, but damn. Come on Blizzard.

This is the only Blizzard game I have a problem with. I can run SC2 and WoW on Ultra settings, no issue.
Edited by Ayperos#1584 on 6/19/2012 3:28 PM PDT
The new patch has no affect on this problem at all.

I still have the frame skipping / camera stutter as I always have since the beta.

I'd like to point something out, though.

I used to run with older Nvidia drivers. More specifically the 290.53 and the 295.73 I believe. Both of those drivers made the stuttering worse. When I switched to the WHQL certified 301 drivers from Nvidia my stuttering started to get a little better. It's no where near perfect, but I did notice an improvement with the newer set of drivers.

I do not know if drivers have an affect on this issue, but it might be that drivers combined with some sort of game bug could be causing this. I haven't done any serious testing so others may report the exact opposite. However, it's something to keep in mind.

All I can say for certain is that this patch did not fix the stuttering as I'm sure others have found out by now.
Still getting this stuttering post-patch, more noticeable now than it was before. i7 2700K, 5750 HD, 8GB RAM.
I finally got a chance to put 1.0.3 through it's paces myself. So far, just running laps around Tristram, I see a very noticable improvement. It will sputter just as before for the first lap from the main entrance to the cellar, but after that, I can run back and forth repeatedly with at most only an occasional hiccup.

Not extensive testing by any means, but on my system at least, it looks as if this may be an asset loading issue. It still struggles a bit to stream assets at first, but once they're loaded it doesn't seem to be continuously re-streaming them. Of course, this won't help much during the meat of the game when I'm continually marching forward into new areas, but it might be a step in the right direction.

Again, only based on a quick, limited test. If my initial impression changes at all, I'll report back.
Hey guys,

I can confirm I have this issue both before and after the 1.0.3 patch. Also, my ingame fps counter permanently reads zero, don't know if that could possibly be related, or just a bug introduced by the patch. I tried the new shadow options (in case they were introduced as a fix or something) in the graphics tab, but none of them made any difference.

Hope you guys have luck in tracking this down. The games still fun, but I start to get a headache if I play very long.

Just for reference:
Intel Core i7-875k
AMD Radeon HD5870
8 GB of RAM
Windows 7
93 Worgen Warlock
I believe that I am also with this problem after this last patch 1.0.3 because like you said when standing still all runs fine but when walking around it does just as the video showed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iukY2L8PpSM

I am using a AMD phenom II x4 945 processor 3MHZ with 8 GB ram and an ATI RADEON HD5450 video card dont believe I had this problem before latest patch and if I did it was not nearly as noticable
Edited by Outlaw#1684 on 6/19/2012 6:00 PM PDT
Awww man, I just started getting this today after patching.

Came to this forum to see if it was a known issue. Saw a lengthy thread with blue responses and got excited! To freaking bad this has been an ongoing issue and I just got invited to the party.

This makes me feel a little nauseous too, not sure if I can play much till it gets fixed.

16GB mem
Win7x64
The stutter is still there.

06/19/2012 05:27 PMPosted by Olorin
Also, my ingame fps counter permanently reads zero,

+1

06/19/2012 03:43 PMPosted by OrpheusPhD
more noticeable now than it was before.

+1 and it wasn't hard to notice pre-patch. This is going the wrong direction ...

At this point, I doubt Blizzard is able to fix this. We still don't even know if QA has been able to reproduce the issue.

Really hopeful you're wrong on this Graysdir ... but I understand the frustration / sullenness. Before it was frustrating / distracting, now as someone said above ... it's literally starting to make me nauseous / dizzy (and this the ONLY game I have that does this).

I've reopened my ticket ... again.
Edited by Aktiv8#1423 on 6/19/2012 6:26 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]