Diablo® III

BUG: Frame Skipping / Camera Stutter

(Locked)

I also haven't tried really playing since the patch as I've deprioritized D3 on my gaming list until I know there's at least some traction and attention to this issue. I don't mean to sound like I'm holding my playtime hostage and demanding something, it's just not as fun to play a game with a well documented issue that we don't know has even been recognized.

I am sure a lot of people would be really thrilled to just hear that the issue has been replicated inside Blizzard -- could a blue please throw us a bone and acknowledge?

I've never heard anyone complain about the rare crash with tutorials on item pickup, but that was addressed -- it would be really awesome if the not-so-rare stuttering were somewhere in the pipeline.
yer the problem has got much worse since 1.03, not nothing i do seems to stop this problem. from everything on max to everything on low.
vsync off = frame tearing.
vsync on = frame jittering.

i7 870 @ 4.0ghz with hyper threading
Radeon 6970 2gb
8GB RAM @ 2000mhz
MB Asus p7p55d-e
yer the problem has got much worse since 1.03, not nothing i do seems to stop this problem. from everything on max to everything on low.
vsync off = frame tearing.
vsync on = frame jittering.

i7 870 @ 4.0ghz with hyper threading
Radeon 6970 2gb
8GB RAM @ 2000mhz
MB Asus p7p55d-e
I also haven't tried really playing since the patch as I've deprioritized D3 on my gaming list until I know there's at least some traction and attention to this issue. I don't mean to sound like I'm holding my playtime hostage and demanding something, it's just not as fun to play a game with a well documented issue that we don't know has even been recognized.

I am sure a lot of people would be really thrilled to just hear that the issue has been replicated inside Blizzard -- could a blue please throw us a bone and acknowledge?

I've never heard anyone complain about the rare crash with tutorials on item pickup, but that was addressed -- it would be really awesome if the not-so-rare stuttering were somewhere in the pipeline.

I'm afraid they're doing a cost benefit analysis first and acknowledging issues later.
In this particular case I suspect they may not be too keen on messing with the engine code at this stage (if ever), as it's risky and would require extensive testing, hence the information blackout. Or it's just not a priority yet (although, that would raise the question - what is?)

Our rigs are too powerful for D3... In the immortal words of Hector Juan Carlos 'Johnny' Tapia: "Carlos, this is a stupid ****ing problem to have. But, it is a problem nonetheless."

I'm afraid they're doing a cost benefit analysis first and acknowledging issues later.
In this particular case I suspect they may not be too keen on messing with the engine code at this stage (if ever), as it's risky and would require extensive testing, hence the information blackout. Or it's just not a priority yet (although, that would raise the question - what is?)

Our rigs are too powerful for D3... In the immortal words of Hector Juan Carlos 'Johnny' Tapia: "Carlos, this is a stupid ****ing problem to have. But, it is a problem nonetheless."

Right on, I've had this feeling for a while too. Seems like the engine is either in maintenance-only mode, or fundamentally code-frozen thanks to a pending console version.
I have a feeling that the Blizzard money-train is only interested in the RMAH and developing further revenue streams for investors, instead of fixing bugs that should never have existed in a retail release. Clearly Blizzard is no longer the high quality game developer they once were.

I have already had friends quit playing due to this now infamous "Diablo stutter bug", and one more friend said yesterday that he is ready to quit, due to this obnoxious stutter.
Thanks Graysdir for holding the torch on this one, its a very specific issue and it frustrates me as well. I cant tell you how many times I thought I found something that fixed it, or thought my problem was the asset loading or the this or that, and then it would turn out not to be. It was literally making me sort of crazy. I am happy / relieved to see it articulated so well, yet bummed that nothing substantial has been done about it. For the record my specs:

Z68 board with core i5 2500k, 8GB kingston hyperX, 2 x Sandisk Extreme 120GB in R0, Gigabyte AMD 7970 OC
Thanks Ralphnumbers... please bookmark the thread! and... Welcome to the "Diablo Stutter Club"!

Shortly before the thread hits 500 replies, I will create a new post and link to the old one. (it auto locks at 500)
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 7/13/2012 7:48 AM PDT
You know what's weird is I have a machine at work thats fairly similar in config yet doesnt exhibit this issue, and this drives one of my pet theories around the sandy bridge platform as being partly a culprit. Because the machine at work is a Westmere cored X5645, with 12GB ECC ram (samsung I think), and an AMD 5770, Samsung 830 Flash Drive...
I have tested on 4 PCs and none of them are sandy bridge, yet they all exhibit this stutter.
Haha, yea I am way to jaded on this issue to have gotten my hopes up. Glad you have already tested that as "no good". I have definitely run out of "things to try" as I am sure you have. Blizz I'm not going to hate because I know how difficult this gig can be. But just like a few previous posts have mentioned, it would be nice to get some recognition at the very least. Specially for guys like us who have been VERY LOYAL customers of yours since the days of your infancy. Dont let us hang out to dry please!
I too have nothing but frame skipping/stuttering issues. I run 2 separate computers (one with a GTX 680) and the other a GT 650m and they both have the same issue no matter what settings are on. Changing Diablo 3 affinity or priority or graphics settings changes nothing. Blizzard please help! Love the game but giving me headaches with frame skipping!!
Graphical Stuttering Issue fix
After suffering various stuttering issues for weeks I recently gave up actually trying to play Diablo and started a massive troubleshoot guess and check hunt for a solution. For my situation I have found my own solution and wish to share as stuttering is a huge issue for many.

Current In Game Settings
----------------------------------

screen res - 1920x1080 Text Quality- High
V Sync- Enabled Shadow Quality- High
Max For FPS- Dissabled Physics- High
Mas Back FPS- Disabled Clutter- High
Anti-A- Enabled
Low FX- Enabled

D3Prefs
--------------------------------
Ok this is a file D3 uses to quick save ur settings and other small info, to accsess the file (in windows 7) go to [ Start] [Documents] open [D3Prefs] it should open in Notepad if not make it with right click open with then select it.

I will copy and paste my 'values' however there are only 4 settings that seem to make an effect
-----------------------------
PreferencesVersion "43"
PlayedCutscene0 "15"
PlayedCutscene1 "15"
PlayedCutscene2 "23"
PlayedCutscene3 "143"
DisplayModeFlags "0"
DisplayModeWindowMode "0"
DisplayModeWinLeft "320"
DisplayModeWinTop "180"
DisplayModeWinWidth "1280"
DisplayModeWinHeight "720"
DisplayModeUIOptWidth "1920"
DisplayModeUIOptHeight "1080"
DisplayModeWidth "1920"
DisplayModeHeight "1080"
DisplayModeRefreshRate "60"
DisplayModeBitDepth "32"
Gamma "1.500000"
MipOffset "0"
ShadowQuality "3"
PhysicsQuality "1"
ClutterQuality "3"
Vsync "1"
Letterbox "0"
Antialiasing "1"
LowFX "1"
LimitForegroundFPS "0"
MaxForegroundFPS "0"
LimitBackgroundFPS "0"
MaxBackgroundFPS "0"
DisableTrilinearFiltering "0"
ColorCorrection "1"
MipBias "0.000000"
ReflectionQuality "0"
TonemapExposure "1.900000"
TonemapContrast "1.500000"
TonemapSaturation "1.000000"
TonemapGain "1.000000"
HardwareClass "1" <-- leave your setting, mine was at 4 originality if you have to change[/u] it[/b]
PCIVendor "4098"
PCIDevice "26808"
MasterVolume "1.000000"
EffectVolume "0.800000"
MusicVolume "0.800000"
NarrationVolume "0.800000"
AmbientVolume "0.800000"
ChannelsToUse "32"
ReverseSpeakers "0"
QuestSubtitlesEnabled "0"
CinematicsSubtitlesEnabled "0"
EchoQuestDialogToChat "1"
MuteSound "0"
MuteEffects "0"
MuteAmbient "0"
MuteVoice "0"
MuteMusic "0"

What I changed

These 4 settings seem to be the problem for my situation
LimitForegroundFPS "0"
MaxForegroundFPS "0" <----------- These particularly
LimitBackgroundFPS "0"
MaxBackgroundFPS "0"<------------These particularly

Basically If you try to set the MaxBackground FPS and MaxForeground FPS sliders to 0 in game you cant, for good reason I suppose but in the D3Prefs file you can. SET THEM TO 0
Save the changes in notepad
If you were to start D3 it would remove your changes and go back to the previous settings, WE DONT WANT THIS
to stop D3 from doing it what you do is right click on D3Prefs (the file you just opened) go to properties, once in properties go to attributes and check Read-Only then exit

Thats it, Worked BEAUTIFUL for me I thought i had the hard drive lag problem but none of the fixes worked. I tried some Nvidia D3 micro stutter solutions and they also didnt work, Slaped in my radeon 5770 still had stuttering. Went on a witch hunt for days changing one setting at a time and diff combo settings and this worked immediately Good LUCK!!!

And remember if it doesn't work for you don't give up keep trying, It worked for me if this helps even one person i will be happy because it went from unplayable to very enjoyable.
^ Doesn't work for me. Still stutters more than Colin Firth in the King's Speech.

Note: changing hardwareclass to 1 removes many visual FX from the game, I couldn't see shielding with hardwareclass=1 for example.
Unfortunately that does not help me at all. It was worth trying, but with this specific issue, settings cannot fix the problem. Developers need to fix it, as it is a coding issue.

My guess is that your stutter looked similar but was not the same issue.
07/13/2012 09:10 PMPosted by Pilfer
Note: changing hardwareclass to 1 removes many visual FX from the game, I couldn't see shielding with hardwareclass=1 for example.

Yea, I set mine back to 4, works for me, sorry its not working out for you, to recap the only changes should have been set MaxForegroundFPS "0" and MaxBackgroundFPS "0" save it and make the file read only also make sure limiting them in game is disabled, but if that's what you did and it didn't work it doesn't surprise me, maybe when this beta is worked out it will smooth some things out ; )

Also these are my In game settings in my Op they came out kind of messy

screen res - 1920x1080 Text Quality- High
V Sync- Enabled
Shadow Quality- High
Max For FPS- Disabled
Physics- High
Mas Back FPS- Disabled
Clutter- High
Anti-A- Enabled
Low FX- Enabled
Edited by Pgar08#1655 on 7/13/2012 9:34 PM PDT
Placeholder
Placeholder
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]