Diablo® III

BUG: Frame Skipping / Camera Stutter

(Locked)

Placeholder
Sorry, I thought this thread would auto-lock at 500 replies. I wanted to post the link to the new thread so everyone could find it, but perhaps the reply limit was increased?

Will update tomorrow if it auto-locks.

Grays
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 7/13/2012 9:46 PM PDT
Testing. Hm, nifty. Well beats me.
Edited by Ripshaft#1511 on 7/13/2012 9:54 PM PDT
After a few patches and the game still stutters like $hit...
It must be something with the game code because it happens even I set the game to the lowest resolution and effects. I used to play at 1920x1080 and all effects at high. This is so lame.
After a few patches and the game still stutters like $hit...
It must be something with the game code because it happens even I set the game to the lowest resolution and effects. I used to play at 1920x1080 and all effects at high. This is so lame.

this is one of the notable features of this bug, changing settings from max to lowest has no noticeable effect on the problem. I'm not sure why you'd lower your settings if it had no effect, turn them back up!

Alot of people do notice a very slight improvement with the stutter when they turn shadows from high to medium, but usually that's the only change out of all of them that has any form of effect.
The OP's youtube links are dead on
this worked a bit for me

Go to the D3Pref file in my docs, open it

Change the following

LimitForegroundFPS "0"
MaxForegroundFPS "0"
LimitBackgroundFPS "0"
MaxBackgroundFPS "0"
DisableTrilinearFiltering "0"

Save As and Overwrite just to be sure

Then right click on the D3Pref file icon

Go to properties

Attributes at the bottom

Set as read only

In game make sure vsync is on, good luck, worked for me who knows

Note
If u can go to highland crossing in act one without the changes, the stuttering for me was especially bad here
Edited by Pgar08#1655 on 7/13/2012 11:08 PM PDT
Pgar08, you have posted those settings 3 times in the last two pages. As explained, it does not help for this specific issue, and posting it 3 times is really quite unnecessary.

Your problem may have looked similar, but if changing settings fixed it for you, then your problem was different. Not all stutters are the same.
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 7/14/2012 8:10 AM PDT
Pgar08, you have posted those settings 3 times in the last two pages. As explained, it does not help for this specific issue, and posting it 3 times is really quite unnecessary.

Whoops sorry about that, I have been posting on a few threads and not keeping track
Anyway the issue came back this morning it seems like sometimes its not bad but another day its horrible anyone else have that happening?

I recorded it this morning it seems like the same stutter you posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frmodZKhQ7A&feature=youtu.be

I think you are right Grasdir, its in the hands of the developers. They must be baffled because they never seem to comment on it. With so many gamers complaining about this issue I cant imagine they aren't working on it, wish they'd admit it though
Reporting back after a few weeks.

Still having stutter problems. Haven't played D3 for those 3 weeks because of this stutter issue. If Blizzard doesn't release 1.04 soon and fix this problem, I will be calling and requesting my money back for a faulty product.
I have not played this in weeks. The stuttering is too obnoxious.

If an i7 2600k at 4.5gHz and a gtx580 4gb can't run this game it's clearly broken.
Last blizzard title I ever purchase if this isn't rectified.

I thought you guys were a good group of developers who put out quality in the past, but this is beyond insane to get such bad performance on such a high end rig.
Pygar08,

Yes, actually I have noticed that too. I will create a game, and it will stutter minimally, maybe once every 10-20 seconds, and I start to get my hopes up, that I might enjoy a low stutter gaming session... then a couple of minutes later it gets totally obnoxious and the camera jerks eratically every second or two.

I have also had friends tell me they think it was fixed, and then a few mins later they tell me its just as bad as ever.

Sometimes I can run a lap around town, and its barely noticable. I use my stash or visit an npc for a moment, turn and run in a different direction, and as soon as the camera pans, I am back in stutter-hell.

It behaves exactly this way on all 3 of my PCs, all of which are FAR beyond recommended specs, and my main gaming rig can play any game in existence on "ultra" yet it cannot play D3 smoothly even on lowest settings! (i7 2600, GTX680, 16GB RAM, SSD)

Its very inconsistent.

Grays
I notice the same thing. The game just intermittently and randomly picks when to stutter.

Starting to give up hope on Blizzard ever fixing this, mostly because I'm just not as passionate about D3 anymore. Steam's summer sale has been like partying with a bunch of gorgeous women -- sort of makes you forget about complaining about the old ball and chain.
Yeah, I'm just a bit mad that I'm not playing this game even though I found it pretty fun.

That's an investment I could still be getting some playtime out of if the stuttering didn't anger me so much.
I know that if I pay too much attention to this this issue it'll drive me bonkers, so early on i decided to just ignore it ingame and keep looking for a fix. Every now and then i'll think "well hey did that stutter go away?" then i'll watch closely and every single time it's still there, just in varying levels of severity.

There's definately many times where it's barely noticeable, but every time I pay attention it is there.

And yeah, steam summer sale is something else lol, finally got terraria and portal 2, for like 7 bucks for both of them haha
I have the exact same issue as what the OP describes.

AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.8Ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (Rev 2.1)
Gigabyte GV-N56GOC-1GI GeForce GTX560 @ 865/1730/4200, stock voltage. Driver: 304.79
8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 4x2GB @ 800Mhz
Corsair 650TX psu
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
G.SKILL SSD Phoenix Pro 60GB (system drive), 5 various HDDs for data files.
Internet connection speeds: DSL, 540/64 kB/s
Other internet info (averages): packet loss: 0%; ping: 21ms; jitter: 1ms; line quality: MOS4.39 ('A' ranking quality line).

To sum it up, this issue is not hardware or internet connection related. I can play the latest games with respectable and consistent performance on high(est) settings.
^ Confirmed it's not hardware or internet. I've posted this a million times but it all gets lost in the shuffle with threads this big.

Comcast 50mbps internet, 64Mbit down, 14Mbit up on Speedtest. 11ms / 1ms jitter on Pingtest.
Rampage III Extreme mobo
24GB RAM
i7 980x @ 4.2ghz
Areca 1880ix RAID card w/ 4GB cache and 12x Corsair Force GT 120gb SSDs in RAID5
3x EVGA GTX 480 SLI (just ordered a EVGA GTX690 hydro copper to replace these!! gonna be here soon! excited!)
All on water cooling

Currently playing Saints Row 3, Max Payne 3, Modern Warfare 3 and Batman Arkham City thanks to Steam's summer sale without hitching and without lag.

IMHO the stutter/skipping is either due to Warden somehow (remember, whatever the problem is, it has to be cross-platform since the Mac guys get it too!), or due to some tight coupling of environment render to Blizzard's servers (e.g., an engine or network protocol issue).
Sadly this the way it's been since day one. Blizzard won't bother fixing it. They will say it's on our end; pay game informer for a top end score and laugh on the way to the bank. "First week hic-ups" passed a long time ago and this garbage is still being put on our plate. On the plus side we can use the AH for more crap! Wooo hoo /emoslashslash
-D

P.S. -.-! Across the river, not down the stream.
An update on this issue would sure be appreciated...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]