Diablo® III

BUG: Frame Skipping / Camera Stutter

(Locked)

This is getting a bit silly. Clearly my knowledge doesn't count for that much here, but I'll just say this.

They released the game with this bug. We don't know why. Lets give them a bit of credit and assume they did not know about it, or assumed it was part of another performance issue that they had fixed.

So now they need to be made aware of it. We get hundreds of "stutter" threads, on all kinds of issues, sometimes it's referring to this issue, but they pretty much always got derailed by the hordes of !@#$%ers.

After months of watching the forums, this thread pops up, which attempts to specifically address this specific issue, and Graysdir and others do everything they can to keep it on topic... and it receives attention from a blizzard rep.

With me so far? There was a problem, it wasnt known, it was brought forward, and acknowledged by the people who needed to acknowledge it. Hell we even got confirmation that the bug was reproduced, that's pretty major.

As far as I am concerned this is highly appropriate for both bliz and the consumers so far.

Now it's unknown where exactly this bug is, but you can be pretty much guaranteed it's in a sensitive enough place to merit extensive playtesting to ensure that it's not going to potentially affect a large amount of players in a negative way. This process alone can take weeks. As for diagnosing and fixing a bug of this kind, there's so many factors involved, the best anyone can do is a blanket timeframe even to get to a point where feedback can be made. I'd say a month to a month and a half. There's other factors, such as patches. If a large patch is coming up (which seems likely), then it would make sence to leave the fix to be tested along with all the other engine modifications to be present in that patch, so it's even less likely to recieve an update in that case, at the very least until the patch is announced.

That said, alot of what I'm seeing since the last milestone is highly inappropriate. I do believe blizzard should acknowledge a bug of this nature, and they did. I however in no way believe that they should keep us updated as we see fit. Sure, I'd love to hear an update, it would be really, really nice, but to demand or expect it at this point is just absurdity and/or entitlement. After a month and a half, or after a major patch, it would definitely make sence to ask after that, but even then, politely and patiently. Then if there's no answer after another month or so, it would be somewhat appropriate to get impatient and a bit angry. But this is not that time, nor do I expect it to come to that.
Edited by Ripshaft#1511 on 8/9/2012 1:28 AM PDT
[...]
That said, alot of what I'm seeing since the last milestone is highly inappropriate. I do believe blizzard should acknowledge a bug of this nature, and they did. I however in no way believe that they should keep us updated as we see fit. Sure, I'd love to hear an update, it would be really, really nice, but to demand or expect it at this point is just absurdity and/or entitlement. After a month and a half, or after a major patch, it would definitely make sence to ask after that, but even then, politely and patiently. Then if there's no answer after another month or so, it would be somewhat appropriate to get impatient and a bit angry. But this is not that time, nor do I expect it to come to that.

I realize it's a very complex subject, but I don't think customer entitlement is the problem here.

Let me share how I feel about the situation for a minute... Having been a gamer for most of my life I have an idea how the industry works and my impressions on how Blizzard have operated in the past. I feel they will probably fix it eventually, but they have a proven record of working at their own pace and doing at best a half-hearted job communicating their priorities to the community, regardless of feedback. The fact that Blizzard removed the FPS meter is definitely not a good sign for the near future.

Guild Wars 2 comes out later this month, not to mention that there's only so much content to experience in D3 right now. Admittedly, the game is mostly fun and mostly playable, so I'm still playing it for now and I'll continue to do so probably until I reach a point where gear upgrades are prohibitively expensive. At my current rate of progress with five fresh lvl 60 chars, that will probably be around the time GW2 is released, so depending on when this issue is fixed I may or may not ever experience portions of the game as intended (acts 2, 3 and 4 tend stutter really bad).

A good point for a fix of this type for me would have been before I experienced, say, half of the content. That moment came and went for me and I'm hardly an outlier in terms of time invested in the game, so probably also for a significant percentage of the player base.

Now, all of that said, you tell me - when would be a good time to get insistent?
Edited by ltkAlpha#2243 on 8/9/2012 3:20 AM PDT
Just thought I'd pop in and see if this has been resolved yet since I haven't played since June. I'm sad it hasn't been, but somehow not surprised. This game never should have been released if it wasn't ready. They said no one would remember if it was late, only if it was great. And I agreed with them. Only problem is I don't remember it as being great. I just remember quitting because it wasn't very fun to play. But, that's besides the point of this thread.

I would much rather see Blizzard fixing current problems than adding new features. Although I would view adding PvP as fixing a problem not adding a feature. But again, not the point of this thread.

As a long time Diablo junkie, please fix this issue. I want to love Diablo 3, stop making it so damn hard.
Edited by Frost#1931 on 8/9/2012 7:32 AM PDT
08/09/2012 07:30 AMPosted by Frost
As a long time Diablo junkie, please fix this issue. I want to love Diablo 3, stop making it so damn hard.

+1

As a long time Blizzard fan this is hard to swallow. Haven't played in a few weeks. Don't feel compelled to come back until this is fixed.
So is there any way to confirm or deny that the fix will be part of the reported 1.04 release? Due out "this month" according to the main site. I quickly skimmed the list of fixes and didnt notice anything concrete.
the real question is, why are so many people getting the 2600k and barely OC'ing
much better off getting the 2500k and putting that extra money into a graphics card upgrade
Thespartan... Please stay on topic. This thread has nothing to do with processors, or overclocking.
This thread is 100% correct. Thanks clarifying the issue, Greydir.

Since day one of release, I've had a similar problem with Diablo 3 and I've tried everything. My screen will randomly stutter with absolutely no action going on just walking about. Even when there is a tons of enemys on the screen, my FPS is STILL at 60 FPS, but will have this slight stutter randomly. All my other games work fine.

My system:
Asus Rampage IV
3960X cpu
32gig Gskill 2133mhz ram
Corsair 2x 120GB Force GT SSD in RAID 0
Corsair 1200 PSU
EVGA 680 GTX
Fresh Windows 7 64bit with all latest drivers installed. All old ones tested, too.

I have the entire game shoved in a ramdrive and this problem still persists. This game engine is flawed and needs to be fixed.

Hey guys,

I am very sorry for the long, long overdue response on this issue. I wanted to make sure I had all of my information correct before responding again.

When I last spoke to you guys, I said that QA was "actively researching" this issue. Since then, QA has worked directly with the programmers to reproduce this issue internally on both Nvidia and AMD machines.

As Graysdir has mentioned several times, this is not the same as the "loading assets" issue. We were able to reproduce this issue after verifying that 100% of our assets have loaded.

A bug has been logged and assigned to the programming team. I don't have any more information to give you guys other than that.

I know it can seem like Blizzard has been ignoring this issue, but we truly haven't. I honestly wanted to wait to respond until I could tell you exactly what was happening. With a specific bug for this issue logged into the database, we are one step closer to fixing this issue for you guys.

Ohhh shhit! A rain drop in hell! This is the first time I have ever seen Blizzard reply to this issue! Please make this priority number 1 - it needs to be!
Edited by Terminal#1378 on 8/13/2012 9:59 AM PDT
i5 Sandy Bridge
GTX 670

mirco-stutter corresponding with FPS drop from 60 to 58 or 59 (using FRAPS, vsync on). Regardless of whether I set all my settings to Highest or Lowest, I still get the same lag, although not that lengthy and frequent as in videos, still, it's very annoying.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6307731713
Glad I found this thread. Same exact issue with GTX 570 and i7-2600k. Tried with and without SSD and it made no difference. Tried every setting and workaround.

I have zero faith that Blizzard will ever fix this issue. I just want to add my name to the list of disappointed customers.
Any news? I mean seriously, are they really working on a solution or is Blizzard jerking us around for their own amusement?
Same here on my PC but it runs flawless on my iMac
08/15/2012 10:27 AMPosted by Terminal
Any news? I mean seriously, are they really working on a solution or is Blizzard jerking us around for their own amusement?

Supposedly they can reproduce it and it is in the bug database. Woohoo!
Hey guys,

I am very sorry for the long, long overdue response on this issue. I wanted to make sure I had all of my information correct before responding again.
When I last spoke to you guys, I said that QA was "actively researching" this issue. Since then, QA has worked directly with the programmers to reproduce this issue internally on both Nvidia and AMD machines.

As Graysdir has mentioned several times, this is not the same as the "loading assets" issue. We were able to reproduce this issue after verifying that 100% of our assets have loaded.

A bug has been logged and assigned to the programming team. I don't have any more information to give you guys other than that.

I know it can seem like Blizzard has been ignoring this issue, but we truly haven't. I honestly wanted to wait to respond until I could tell you exactly what was happening. With a specific bug for this issue logged into the database, we are one step closer to fixing this issue for you guys.

So it's been a month since any update was posted on this problem. This problem has existed at LEAST since the game launched. This is game-breaking and totally ruins the experience. Where is the GD fix already? 1.4? Never?
My first post.

After watching the videos, I can confirm this is the same "stuttering" bug that frustrated me so much that I quit the game two months ago. It simply makes the game unenjoyable.

The stuttering is evident (but tolerable) as I move around in Tristram. It seems to get worse when mousing over an NPC or other interactable environmental asset with a popup description. It's intolerable in any of the sewers and a couple other places.

To me, it seems like an issue with the game engine and Vsync.
  • NVidia 8800GTX (non-SLI), Vsync @ 60 (tried 8 driver versions)
  • SSD

Thanks for starting this thread, Graysdir!
85 Human Mage
This issue causes migraines for me, after about four hours of the occasional stutter, i have to go lay down and close my eyes, because my head/eyes hurts so much from trying to focus thru the stutter.
in random spots and at random times my fps says 60 FPS but the game looks like it is running at 20 or less because of all the frame skip or camera skip as the op puts it.

I have this issue on 6 computers and they all have good specs.

Computer 1.

I5 2500K @ 4.4Ghz
16GB DDR3 1866 G-skill
Asus Sabertooth P67 1155 motherboard
Asus 570 direct CU II 1280mb
Cooler master real power pro 750W (5 years old)

Computer 2.
MSI 8800GTX SLI
Asus Rampage 775 motherboard
8 gigs of DDR2 1066
650W power supply Corsair builder series.
Intel core 2 quad 2.4Ghz

Computer 3.
8800GTS
MSI P6n SLI platinum
2.4Ghz core 2 duo
not sure on power supply 500W something.

no need to name all my pc specs.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]