Diablo® III

BUG: Frame Skipping / Camera Stutter

(Locked)

Thanks Vaux... but I tried all of that... but honestly, ALL other games work fine, and I really dont want to mess up a stable system just to make Diablo work. In fact this issue happens on all 3 PCs that I have Installed the game on. Yet all other games run smoothly.

As for setting to 90% of my framerate... well, I get 300fps without vsync, and 60fps with vsync, even in huge battles... as long as the camera doesnt move. This stutter occurs in areas with NO action... just everytime the camera moves, it stutters.

My system should eat this game for breakfast... GTX680, 16GB RAM, i7 2600, SSD...
Runs BF3 on ultra, totally smooth. This issue is a problem with the client and only Blizzard can fix it.
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 6/5/2012 2:28 PM PDT
I'll throw my hat in as well. I've had this issue since Beta as well. At first I blamed it on Nvidia's drivers, being I am having stuttering issues on other games with my GTX 680 like many others. However this problem seems a little different than the stuttering issue happening to other games with the 680. The camera moving stutter, OP explains it perfectly. It seems like a problem specific to Diablo.

I've tried all the settings: limiting frames in game, limiting frames with EVGA tool, low video settings, even audio settings. No difference.

During Beta when this was reported it was shrugged off as the Beta not being optimized and will definitely be fixed at launch(By Blue posts). Well, obviously that is not the case. So my question is if this issue was already known to the Blues during Beta, why is it not fixed yet, or at least why have no Blues commented on it since? I mean just a simple yes, we are aware of it and are working on it would work wonders for me.

120Hz would be nice as well. Capping at 60 with Vsync

It's not game breaking for me by any means, but it is quite annoying.

System specs:
FX-8120 @ 4.2Ghz
16GB 1600MHz RAM
EVGA GTX 680
Vertex 4 256GB SSD

Yes, Bulldozers tend to be frowned up in the gaming community, whatever I like them. But my comp should crush Diablo 3 on all accounts.
Edited by Frost#1931 on 6/5/2012 2:43 PM PDT
There are two setting for frame rate.
One for Background and one for Foreground frames
What are your current settings?
System specs:
FX-8120 @ 4.2Ghz
16GB 1600MHz RAM
EVGA GTX 680
Vertex 4 256GB SSD

Yes, Bulldozers tend to be frowned up in the gaming community, whatever I like them. But my comp should crush Diablo 3 on all accounts.

Which OS with Bulldozer? It may seem like a stupid question, but Bulldozer has a problem with most OS thread schedulers. Windows 7 has been receiving some of the reversed engineered code from Windows 8, but it's still not up to snuff.
You might be better served by restricting it to ether one core or particular cores.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5448/the-bulldozer-scheduling-patch-tested
That is a description of the problem. You need to trick your OS into assigning it only to the modules. So core 0 and 2 or core 1 and 3, but not core 0 and 1 together or 2 and 3.
I had considered that as well, and I did test Win 8 RP the other day. Same issue, went back to Win 7 with those hot fixes applied. Processor affinity makes no difference either.

I do not believe this is an issue the end user can fix.
Over a period of a couple dozen hours, I have tried every setting imaginable. I have scoured the web, and tried every combo of fps limit, various 3rd party software, reformats, etc.

I know its hard for some to believe, but this is a problem with the D3 client, and only Bliz can fix it.

Games that run smoothly at max settings on my GTX 680 system:
- BF3
- Bioshock 2
- Crysis 2
- Tribes Ascention
- Team Fortress 2
- Path of Exile
- several others...

Games that are a jittery stuttery mess:
- Diablo 3

Its the same on my GTX280 system. I have a dozen games running smoothly on it. Installed Diablo 3 on it during beta, and had this frame skipping, so I bought my GTX680 system because I figured that would fix it for sure...

now I have invested $3k in a new PC to fix the issue, and it has the same stutter.

Sorry if I seem frustrated, but clearly I have done a LOT to resolve this issue, and now its up to the team at Blizzard.
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 6/5/2012 5:01 PM PDT
Hi Guys,

Just found this thread on the Technical Support forums.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5270835538

I wonder if this is related to the issue that we are experiencing here. Anyone tried this fix out yet? I'm not good with software and afraid that I might screw up my system.
Thanks... but no, that doesnt help with this specific issue. Again, this will only be fixed when Bliz fixes their frame rendering routines in the client.

Just installed Crysis 2 on my system, and it runs smooth as silk. Over a dozen games on each system that run flawlessly. The only one with this camera stutter is D3.
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 6/5/2012 9:23 PM PDT
Try running with just one card. Turn SLI off. I have dual eVGA 670 GTX FTWs and get stutters with SLI on, nothing with SLI off. Frames are still high too. It's a sucky solution, but it does work for me.
I don't have SLI....

as explained in my first post... Neither of my PCs use SLI.
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 6/5/2012 9:50 PM PDT
I do have SLI (gtx570s).
The game is on an SSD.
I have 120hz monitor.

I've tried all the fixes I can find and none work.

I expect that the game will need a patch, and the problem will not be solvable by us. :(
Edited by softgrip#6457 on 6/5/2012 9:55 PM PDT
The exact same issue here:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4551588089
By sheer luck I found a temporary fix for people who have the same problem as I do.

So I'm assuming we're all having the same issue, which is:
1. With vsync on and unchecked foreground limit, game occasionally will surpass 60fps thus the the image tears for a few seconds.
2. With vsync on, foreground set at 60. Somehow fps will be locked at 50.

Crazy temporary solution:
Call one of your buddy via skype. Somehow this stablizes my fps at 60. It's really a wtf solution. I don't know the technical reasoning behind this. But it works for me. Try it out, y'all.
Me and my friend have the same issues with this even tho are pcs are not high powered enough to have really high FPS, but do notice same effect. FPS stays the same but its like the game pauses for a split second and then resumes multiply times everywhere especially when lighting flashes on the screen.

And vsync and the frame limiter definitely have some issues it needs to resolve.
Hi Donysteal... you could just use a frame limiter to lock at 60... But that does not fix this specific issue. It occurs on both my systems even if I limit frames to 60. Besides, I am still not convinced that the jump to triple digits is the cause of the problem... it could be a symptom. My older system only jumps to triple digits occasionally, yet it stutters just as frequently as my new system.

My old rig has a GTX280 which Bliz claimed was "high performance" yet it was a stuttery mess in beta, so I purchased a new system just for Diablo and it does the same thing! How frustrating. And I cant even seem to get Bliz to provide support. They replied to my ticket with "turn down your graphics" - How aggravating... clearly they didnt even read the issue, and just responded with nonsense.

I have reproduced this exact same frame skipping issue on 3 out of 3 systems I have installed Diablo on. Certainly it cant be that hard to reproduce. If you cant fix it, at least be honest with us. This bug has been reported for six months with no serious responses from Blizzard.
06/05/2012 02:08 PMPosted by Graysdir
What are your system specs, Wesley?

Nothing too special, but I keep everything set to the lowest settings because I prefer performance over quality.

I have a Core 2 Quad @ 2.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, Intel 320 Series SSD, and a GTX260.

http://pastebin.com/3At1Vs52
Just tested new patch - no improvement.

I sure wish I at least knew whether or not they are looking into it. I have a feeling they arent even trying, or its an engine issue that they cannot fix. This has been reported since October 2011 with no replies other than "it will be fixed in retail".
[...]

My old rig has a GTX280 which Bliz claimed was "high performance" yet it was a stuttery mess in beta, so I purchased a new system just for Diablo and it does the same thing! How frustrating. And I cant even seem to get Bliz to provide support. They replied to my ticket with "turn down your graphics" - How aggravating... clearly they didnt even read the issue, and just responded with nonsense.

I have reproduced this exact same frame skipping issue on 3 out of 3 systems I have installed Diablo on. Certainly it cant be that hard to reproduce. If you cant fix it, at least be honest with us. This bug has been reported for six months with no serious responses from Blizzard.

Hi, I understand your frustration - I'm having the exact same issue on my rig (see my post above), but I suspect we're going to have to have patience here; even Blizzard are working with limited resources and I suspect this isn't a high priority problem yet (we are, after all, able to play the game and there are semi-successful workarounds). Also, since all evidence seems to point to the game engine, the fix is going to probably be tricky and the testing for it time consuming. Not trying to defend Blizzard (no one can convince me they haven't seen this issue during testing given how many different systems have it), but it's probably going to be better for us if we accept reality for now (see Penny Arcade > The Trenches for some insight into the world of game testing... ^^).

P.S. Do let me know if you find a good workaround, thanks.
Edited by ltkAlpha#2243 on 6/6/2012 3:59 PM PDT
Why did this thread get moved to Technical Support?

I was told that this post belongs under "bug reports" so I posted it there. Now it is redirected to tech support.

I do not need tech support, I want a bug fixed. The developers will not see it under "Technical Support".

I am even more frustrated with Blizzard right now.
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 6/6/2012 5:12 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]