Diablo® III

BUG: Frame Skipping / Camera Stutter

(Locked)

Good job, Brotality! I fear that they are only working on "general performance enhancements" and not this specific issue.

Please folks, if you have not yet submitted a ticket, please do, and be sure to link to this thread.
Got this response to my question:

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting Blizzard Entertainment, I'm very sorry for the wait. I'm going to do everything I can to resolve your issue.

/hope on

The Game Master support do not have way to confirm what development are working on.

/frustration on

I apologize for any troubles this may cause you. Be sure to keep a eye out for any bug related to your issue on our bug forums at http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386229/.

/facepalm on

Did you know you can check for a Game Masters reply to your issues out of game?! Let me introduce to you *Trumpets play* The "My Support Site"! By logging into your account at http://us.battle.net/en/ Then click on support you can read or create tickets!

(ike the original ticket and the 4 re-openings I've already done?)

/bangheadondesk on

Sincerely,
Game Master (Blue guy who pasted in the corporate line)
Customer Service
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support

/sulk on
Tell me if this bug is the same as being described here.....you run somewhere, and you are back in the same spot after a few steps. I just lost a 60hc monk because i used all of my spirit to tailwind out of a situation, and was instantly back in the middle of the mobs (no it wasn't vortex), as if I had never moved anywhere. The problem was that not only was I back in the middle of the mobs, but all my spirit was gone. I've had this issue before, usually when trying to leave town. Sometimes I can't even leave town, as I run a few steps, and am back in the same spot. My friends have the same issue, and it appears like a lot of other people here are as well. I can't really afford to invest the time into lvling hc characters to 60 though, to have a bug like this kill them off. Btw, i did have shadow effects turned off when this happened as well.
06/10/2012 11:17 AMPosted by mikekirby34
Tell me if this bug is the same as being described here.....you run somewhere, and you are back in the same spot after a few steps. I just lost a 60hc monk because i used all of my spirit to tailwind out of a situation, and was instantly back in the middle of the mobs (no it wasn't vortex), as if I had never moved anywhere. The problem was that not only was I back in the middle of the mobs, but all my spirit was gone. I've had this issue before, usually when trying to leave town. Sometimes I can't even leave town, as I run a few steps, and am back in the same spot. My friends have the same issue, and it appears like a lot of other people here are as well. I can't really afford to invest the time into lvling hc characters to 60 though, to have a bug like this kill them off. Btw, i did have shadow effects turned off when this happened as well.

Your issue is called rubberbanding, it has everything to do with your connection to the Blizzard Servers. You are having micro disconnects to the server. You can fix this by trying some of the following things

Change your firewall/router settings as described in the support section

Change your ISP service level - pay more money for more speed

Change your ISP provider - hope the next company has a better internet connection

Move closer to the Blizzard Servers or at least to a larger community with a better internet connection

Mod/Hack the game so you can play off line - this goes against the EULA you agreed to, and if you use someone elses Hack you could open your computer to Identity theft or turn it into a zombie...

Good luck anyways...
I am adding my full approval to this thread, to the OP - you have pinpointed my number one annoyance with the game. Good work, and lets hope they fix it soon.
I have the exact same Issue, and all of my friends who play d3 have it too.

However 2 of them cant see it.
So I DO think, that this issue happens on all clients, but most people just cant see it.
Either they are not sensitive to stuttering (one of them doesnot even notice stuttering when playing at 20fps), or are used to it from their cheapass laptops.
Same issue here.
Also nvidea, latest drivers

dxdiag
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/354152/DxDiag---Asus-R501V--txt.html
MaxPower.. I have been wondering if that is the case. I have installed D3 on 4 PCs and all of them had this issue to varying degrees. But if its that common, it must have manifested on Bliz test servers, and if it is as annoying as it is on my main rig, why wouldnt they have fixed it over the last months/years while in beta? Only reason I can think of, is that they cannot fix it, and they are just hoping it doesnt stop people from buying the game.

4 out of 4 PCs... It certainly isnt very hard to reproduce!
So, after 1 ticket submission and 4 re-opens this is as good as it gets ...

Greetings [Brotality],

Regarding exactly what improvements are being made in an upcoming patch, the only information Customer Service has been given is that "performance improvements" are being made. Beyond that, we cannot speak to the specifics of exactly what issues are being addressed by the patch.

The best I can say is to wait until the patch comes out, and report any continuing issues if they have not been addressed. We're doing everything we can to resolve the concerns that you and other customers are bringing to our attention, and I'm sure you can expect to continue to see patch updates in the future in order to best serve you.

Thank you again for contacting us. If you have further questions regarding this issue, please reply to this ticket. If you would prefer to speak with a representative directly, our contact information is available here: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/contact

Best Regards,

Game Master [Standard Answer Man]
Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support

After 3 weeks of communication the best Blizz can do is, "wait and see if the generic performance stuff we're working on helps your particular issue and if not, submit another ticket and then wait around while we keep working on things that may or may not apply and that will hopefully resolve your issue ... or may not ... in which case you can continue to wait. Of course we'd be happy to answer any questions along the way, just don't ask any details because no-one who really knows what's going on talks to us. "

At this point I'd be:
- content if someone from Blizzard simply said ... "We are aware of your specific issue."
- happy if someone from Blizzard simply said ... "We're investigating your specific issue."
- ecstatic if someone from Blizzard simply said ... "We're planning to fix your specific issue."

Just a little acknowledgement. Really, how hard is that?
Agree 100% with Brotality. Acknowledgement of this specific issue would make me feel much better. Waiting weeks to see if a "general performance patch" will help, after reporting this for six months, is ludicrous.
Blizzard Employee
Just a little acknowledgement. Really, how hard is that?

Hey Brotality,

I already commented in this thread that we are working on this issue and other performance issues as well. I can't comment on when the fix will go live, or what patch the specific fix will be in, because we are working on several performance fixes for Diablo III. Forgive me for being general, but it wouldn't be good if I promised something Blizzard did not deliver on.

Here is my original comment in case you missed it.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5270834509?page=6#104
Edited by Vasadan on 6/11/2012 2:58 PM PDT
Thanks Vasadan. All we wanted to know is that you are aware of this *specific* issue. Your original post just said that you were working on "performance fixes", which may not include this specific problem.

Now, judging by the fact that you just said you are working on "this" issue, as well as others, hopefully we can assume that you are indeed investigating this specific bug.

Is it possible for you to tell us if you have been able to recreate the frame skipping in your lab?

hopefully some fixes make it into 1.0.3 as you mentioned in your first post. This issue occurs on all 4 PCs I have setup, so I cannot play without non stop stutter, and it makes the game very frustrating.

Thanks again - Glad to see that you are keeping an eye on this post.
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 6/11/2012 3:27 PM PDT
Blizzard Employee
06/11/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Graysdir
Thanks again - Glad to see that you are keeping an eye on this post.

No problem! We are actively researching this.
Thank you VERY much for looking into it! (and for updating us)

If you have any issues recreating this problem, you can have full access to any of my PCs. I can setup remote sessions, video conference, provide logs, whatever will help you recreate the problem so it can be squashed!
Edited by Graysdir#1665 on 6/11/2012 3:32 PM PDT

Hey Brotality,

I already commented in this thread that we are working on this issue and other performance issues as well. I can't comment on when the fix will go live, or what patch the specific fix will be in, because we are working on several performance fixes for Diablo III. Forgive me for being general, but it wouldn't be good if I promised something Blizzard did not deliver on.

Here is my original comment in case you missed it ...

Vasadan,

I fully recognize you're walking a fine line in managing this communities expectations. It's often a thankless task and well ... I'm not going to be one of them ...

Thank You!

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and clarify what you said. Like Graysdir I interpreted your post to mean general fixes and didn't want to assume that this thread's issue was included in your efforts. We all know what assuming does ... ;-)

Now that we've cleared that little confusion up, I'll hold up my end of the bargain.

I'm now officially ecstatic! :-D

As Graysdir said, if I can offer up any help at all just ask. Happy to do conference calls, remote sessions, whatever you think is helpful.
Edited by Aktiv8#1423 on 6/11/2012 8:07 PM PDT
I am also running an ATI HD Card and believe I am having the same issues. I believe the issue has come up more recently (after patch), as I surely would have noticed this before now. I play more multiplayer than anything, and its not really an issue it seems when playing with multiple people. However the issues described in the OP are right on. I am using a multi -core system in addition to having dual monitors. I prefer to play in fullscreen windowed mode to have fast access to my second monitor for vent/steamIM/firefox/ect.

I found a solution by changing to fullscreen mode, however this is not very ideal because now I have to tab out to get to my second monitor causing the game to minimize.
I seem to have been able to intentionally afflict my computer with this, or at least something that looks like it

If you do not have the issue described, do the following:

1. go to Nvidia control panel
2. enable transparency AA - multisampling
3. start the game and see if such stuttering is present ( it was for me)
4. exit the game and turn off transparency AA
5. start the game again, and see if the stuttering is still there ( it was for me)
6. exit the game again, and reset to factory defaults in the Nvidia control panel
7. start the game up again and see if the stuttering is still there (it was NOT for me)

It may have something to do with outside AA causing problems, then not being fully disabled even when turned off.

Another possibility is Vram limits, it seems this game does not want to use more than 512MB of Vram( unless you do something like override AA to force higher usage.) regardless of how much you really have, if it's constantly purging the Vram and re-loading it because of this, no amount of computer power would stop it.

again just a few ideas.
I confirm this micro-stuttering issue too, and indeed, it's not HDD acces related because I fixed the major loading issues with a SSD. These micro-stutters are particulary worst in exterior and in the Act 4, right ?

I've noticed a more stable frame rate with windowed fullscreen (+ vsync) + adaptive vsync, not a fix for the stutters but the little 60 in the corner stop flickering between 59-60, but there's still regular jumps at 100+ FPS after each stutters to catch up the delay...
Edited by Holger#2247 on 6/12/2012 7:41 AM PDT
I get this stuttering and rubber banding a lot as well .
I also experience this. The only hopeful solution I found (haven't tested yet) is not at all related to the gfx card. Its related to the hard drive.

This vid tests the game on 2 diff HDDs, a ramdisk, and a flash drive. Amazing difference. Almost nonexistent stutter when playing off a ramdisk or thumb drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqLQkqBzsZ4

Note: I skipped to first blue post and skimmed onward. Apologize if this has already been mentioned.

Edit: @Holger - Have you tried a thumb drive or ramdisk? I heard SSD does not fix the issue, surprisingly.
Edited by Fortoom#1547 on 6/12/2012 9:31 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]