Diablo® III

Diablo 3 graphics/lag FIX!!! edit config inst

Guys, after tons of research and messing with settings I finally came across something that has really improved my diablo 3 fps. Its nothing major but its EASY, FAST, and it WORKS!!!!

You need to edit your diablo 3 config file. The location is for windows 7:

located in /Users/My Documents/Diablo III

Now there is alot of options, and i've tested them but do NOT change PreferencesVersion because you WILL CRASH.

With that being said here is the quick optimization: Scroll down thru your config file and find these 3 lines and make changes if necessary.

DisableTrilinearFiltering “1”

MaxForegroundFPS “60”

HardwareClass "2"
Now this one is "iffy" and you will have to choose what works best for your system. Personally I think it has to do with what version/directx its going to run. For instance 0 will make the game crash out and not load with a direct x number. I keep mine at 2. 1 seemed to speed it up, and 0 wont load.

Thats it!! I have a monster desktop with a radeon 6950 and a DV6 A8-3500m radeon 6620g laptop. My desktop screams thru the game but my laptop was jerking/stuttering all over the place.

I hope this helps someone. Please!!!! if either of these worked for you put down your VIDEO CARD MODEL and if it worked or not so we can help others.

Hopefully enough people see this and can squeeze enough performance out of diablo 3 to actually enjoy it. ALSO: If your system just seems laggy, dont fret turning down all the settings to LOW. To be honest you wont notice much but the shadows gone :)

Wrain
Reply Quote
It helped me, usually I'd have incredible lag when I used a skill for the first time in a session, and in larger groups. For the most part those issues are gone.

ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
Reply Quote
didnt work for me ,

ATI radoen HD 4250

willing to pay some one $20 over paypal (Gift if they fix mine )
sick of 800x600 so i dont lag..
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
im having the same problem as pku and no one seems to be paying attention to my post. Im running ATI Radeon HD 4200
Edited by ice392#1897 on 5/30/2012 2:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thankyou.

I have changed my settings as i dont have the best graphics card, NVIDIA GeForce 8600m 256mb.

I will check it out when Diablo is back up and running and report back
Reply Quote
It definitely fixed my lag especially when there are many spells on the screen. Thanks!

MSI 560 Ti Hawk is my card. Good job mate!
Reply Quote
yes it helps but it dosent solve the whole lag problem thanks man
Reply Quote
**Solution discovered!**

Guys. I have had the same problem and it only began after the 1.02 patch! My card is a GeForce 550 ti and what solved it for me is using EVGA Precision and underclocking my card. I moved the sliders all the way to the left and instead of the game running at 6fps and slow mo it now runs at 50fps. Hopefully this can help you guys!

My PC is quad core 2.8ghx, 8 gigs ram, GTX 550 ti.

Other things of note: I keep my fan at 70%, I keep the max foreground FPS at 60.
Reply Quote
I can confirm this worked frickin FLAWLESSLY. Thank you so much for posting this. I have an m14x alienware laptop and couldn't for the life of me figure out why my machine was handling this game so poorly. The game runs as smooth as if I was just standing there without any enemies on screen when I am fighting 200 mobs, thanks again.
Reply Quote
having trouble starting up my loader after doing this -_-
Reply Quote
This shouldn't be something customers should have to be doing for a fully released game THAT IS NOT IN BETA......instead Im here searching and searching for answers to problems that shouldn't even exist in the first place
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Just to explain a little about these settings...

Trilinear filtering has been essentially "free" (from a performance perspective) for at least the last 10 years. If disabling that has any effect on your game, there's something else going wrong. I cannot say with any certainty whether this "something else" is system related or game client related, so it may still be worth toggling the setting to see what happens.

*Note that if you've forced any level of Anisotropic filtering through your GPU's control panels than changing this setting will have no effect. Forced Anisotropic filtering automatically applies trilinear filtering, even though Anisotropic filtering is technically possible without it.

Fixing the framerate to 60 (you're actually better fixing it to 62, but that's moot) would simply lower the load on your GPU (good for lowering temperatures - check your HSF for dust!) and prevent you from experiencing massive framerate fluctuations. For example, if your machine is occasionally capable of rendering 100fps and it suddenly drops down to 70, then back to 100, and then down to 60, and so forth, than the resulting gameplay will be choppy - even though it's never actually dropped to a poor framerate. It's the difference in performance that you see.

Hardware Class, however, is one I don't 100% know what it does behind the scenes. It bears mentioning that it's not a setting unique to D3 (though the name varies), and I imagine there are some similarities between what it does in D3 and what it does in other titles. Typically it will adjust the graphics limits of your system, which essentially means how many and how complicated Shader programs are being run and what resolutions it should limit various elements (textures, shadows, etc) to. This means lowering your hardware class is effectively the same as turning down various in-game settings (note that the range is 1-6, with 6 being the most demanding). Changing this setting may have a positive effect on your performance, but do note it will come with a corresponding negative effect on visuals.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Funny how we have to do Blizzard's job of fixing other people's problems and our own huh? So much for Customer Satisfaction/Support on Blizzard's part.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
I'm having a little trouble playing D3 , i mean its all good and everything but..... examples: like when i run in a group next to somebody they teleport ahead of me and sometimes i teleport around. I notice some of act 1 and act 2 is very laggy during the spider boss and environments like that. It feels like a lot I'm running in slow motion but my fps is around 15 and it jumps time to time. Maybe that's the problem? I mean only sometimes my game play is perfect then it messes up again. Mobs and bosses that i think are far away they teleport right in my face a lot and i cannot act quickly to get out of situations. I always like to go hardcore with games and been successful with others but i think this problem will actually make me quit the game for good unless i get a faster connected speed. I hear 11 mbps connection speed is NOT great but D3 is fully playable on that speed, but i still have a feeling I'm hearing it wrong. Its where i live and the area they don't have great speeds lol. I will list my laptop specs and see if something is wrong.

11.0 mbps connection speed like i listed above

Intel Core i7-2670 QM cpu@2.20ghz

8.0 gb ram

Intel HD graphics family ( i know its not the greatest chip but it should be playable for D3)

maybe i have some of the settings wrong but i played with it so much i have no energy to continue trying to fix this so i came here

I like to hear all of you and your thoughts. Sorry for misspelled words/grammar (easy typing)

Also this is to the trolls - please do not fool around, this is a serious question

Everyone Thank You for your thoughts on what the problem might be. I am thinking its the chip i have but that can't be right, it should be playable for d3. My guess is the connection speed or i didn't twink my card good enough and the setting are messed up. Hopefully you guys have some tricks that will be able to help. Again thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
I'm having a little trouble playing D3 , i mean its all good and everything but..... examples: like when i run in a group next to somebody they teleport ahead of me and sometimes i teleport around. I notice some of act 1 and act 2 is very laggy during the spider boss and environments like that. It feels like a lot I'm running in slow motion but my fps is around 15 and it jumps time to time. Maybe that's the problem? I mean only sometimes my game play is perfect then it messes up again. Mobs and bosses that i think are far away they teleport right in my face a lot and i cannot act quickly to get out of situations. I always like to go hardcore with games and been successful with others but i think this problem will actually make me quit the game for good unless i get a faster connected speed. I hear 11 mbps connection speed is NOT great but D3 is fully playable on that speed, but i still have a feeling I'm hearing it wrong. Its where i live and the area they don't have great speeds lol. I will list my laptop specs and see if something is wrong.

11.0 mbps connection speed like i listed above

Intel Core i7-2670 QM cpu@2.20ghz

8.0 gb ram

Intel HD graphics family ( i know its not the greatest chip but it should be playable for D3)

maybe i have some of the settings wrong but i played with it so much i have no energy to continue trying to fix this so i came here

I like to hear all of you and your thoughts. Sorry for misspelled words/grammar (easy typing)

Also this is to the trolls - please do not fool around, this is a serious question

Everyone Thank You for your thoughts on what the problem might be. I am thinking its the chip i have but that can't be right, it should be playable for d3. My guess is the connection speed or i didn't twink my card good enough and the setting are messed up. Hopefully you guys have some tricks that will be able to help. Again thanks!

I am having the same issue as you, and I also have the same graphics card. I changed the resolution around to see which is the least laggiest and turned everything either to low or off, and tried to do the hardware thing the guy said in the first post. I'm running upper teens to mid 20's now... it seems better for me. Still laggy BUT easier. :( I'd like a better fix for us too.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
You my dear good OP, are a genius. I now have to relearn to play the game, but still. A verifiable genius.

Oh: NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M - Almost 4 years old, but still tolerable for most games. Diablo was the first game that was legitimately BAD.
Edited by Fricative#1793 on 6/4/2012 3:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
not a sure fix but less graphic lag. .....it's pretty cold in the blizzard with no technical support..... i wonder how much they've made...well are still making. while we sit here with s*%#^ gameplay...
Reply Quote
Worked for me! I'm using a 2Gb ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6770M. Thanks!
Reply Quote
It helped me, usually I'd have incredible lag when I used a skill for the first time in a session, and in larger groups. For the most part those issues are gone.

ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB

Using the same but the x2 version. I'm gonna try this out when I get home tonight. Thanks OP you always find good sheez :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]