Diablo® III

HELP! Radeon HD 6670 or 7750 - 300W PSU

I have an HP Pavillion Media Center m8200n and I'm almost certain that either of these cards will fit in it so thats not my concern - PSI X16 Slot. What I'm worried about is the PSU of my computer (300) and the performance/ power consumption of the cards. My CPU is outdated too but I don' think that will be TOO much of an issue -> (AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 6000+)

Can I use either of these with my system without upgrading my PSU? And are there any better options if any at all? And is there that much of a difference between the 2 I suggest, 6670 and 7750, to be worth the extra $40.

I'm not a serious PC gamer, I just want to be able to play Diablo smoothly with my friends, with reasonably good to really good graphics without frying my computer or spending all my money.

All helpful suggestions, advice and comments appreciated. If any more info is needed just ask, thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
7750, no questions asked.

By the way, if 6670 and 7750 has $40 difference, the 6670 comes with GDDR3 VRAM, which has a noticeable performance penalty over GDDR5. How big? Even the same 6670 with GDDR5 VRAM performs roughly 15~25 FPS better over the 6670 with GDDR3.
Reply Quote
Alrighty but I'm not a very serious gamer so I'm not positive I wanna dish out the extra if the differences isn't immense. Also will it run alright on my CPU and PSU? Smoothly with reasonable graphics is all I'm really looking for. Are these still my best options?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Considering 6670 GDDR5 is going to run under 50 FPS generally, that 15~25 FPS is rather big of an impact... so... It's teetering on the playable / acceptable FPS.

At least pick up the GDDR5 version of 6670, but then, it becomes fairly close to 7750 price... so.

All I'll say is that you should not buy the GDDR3 version of 6670 (the cheapo ones).

It should run OK.
Reply Quote
Good info, will my outdated processor cripple my graphics card? And will the game run with good textures/physics smoothly?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
These cards are probably not that powerful enough, but your CPU is indeed very old and weak in comparison to today's CPUs.

Physics rely on the CPU, so it will not change with a new graphics card. But textures? I would expect so.
Reply Quote
Makes sense, you're very knowledgable....I think I'm probably going to have to save up for the 7750. How does installation work? Slide out the old one and put in the new one or? Also is the best price on that around $110?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Pretty much.

Your "graphics card" is probably integrated and doesn't require to be "taken out" of the PCI-E 16x slot. You just slide the new one in more or less.

I would strongly consider just saving up for a new PC if possible, however, as your CPU is very old.
Reply Quote
Cool and yes I was considering doing that as well but Diablo is the only PC game I plan on playing so I dont feel its necessary. I also was told I can upgrade my CPU to a quad core in the future if absolutely necessary. I just want to get by on the minimum and still enjoy the game at a reasonably high play value.
Edited by DanLAX11#1443 on 5/30/2012 5:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh and are you sure my CPU won't bottleneck this GPU? Should I look for a less poweful GPU to match my CPU?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It won't be bottlenecked that bad.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Your PSU is not powerful enough to handle these cards at 300 watts. You will need at least a (recommended) 400 watt power supply for both of these. Take a look at the system requirements on the AMD website.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6670/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6670-overview.aspx#3

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7750/Pages/radeon-7750.aspx#3
Reply Quote
Thank you but its RECOMMENDED not required....the 7750 only uses 55W max so my PSU will actually handle it quite well seing as my processor is max at 125W. This is worst case scenario. It wont even get that high I assume. Thanks for the concern though!
Reply Quote
I just installed a Sapphire 7750 on my older rig (Intel Quad Core Q9300 6 GB RAM) my PSU is rated @ 350W. D3 runs great for me - although I'm still at the very early stages of the game.
Make sure you have enough room in your box however, the card requires two slots worth of room (one for connections, one for venting/fan)
Edited by Blackcloud9#1145 on 6/7/2012 8:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]