Diablo® III

Open letter to Dev team concerning Hell+ Loot

85 Human Priest
Dear Dev team,

I love the product you've presented us, and have proceeded to play the everloving hell out of Diablo 3, Congratulations! This game is a smash success.
However, there is a problem. When you enter Hell Difficulty, the "Rare" and "Champion" monsters are far too difficult in relation to their guaranteed reward.
Take for example, my most recent game. I was partied with a 56 Demon Hunter and a 56 Wizard, i myself am a 55 Monk, we are in Hell Act 2. Now, we are questing, and we have drastic concerns on the risk-to-reward ratio of "Champion" and "Rare"/"Elite"/"Boss" monsters.
In this situation we are in the Vault of the Assasin in Act 2. Our Champion monsters also have come with a pack that is a "Rare w/minions". It took us each approximately 30 deaths and an hour to kill this pack. What did we get? Two blues each. We are from now on, unless the quest requires it, skipping "Rare" and "Champion" mobs. We each spent approximately 6,000+ gold on repairs.
It strikes me as odd as the Hell content seems like it has never been tested. Have you ever attempted at lvl 55 a Vortex, Walling, Mortar mob? Needless to say, noone is safe. I think you need to re-evaluate the loot from "Champion" + monsters because as of right now, these monsters are only causing massive headaches and are NOT worth the reward to kill them until you are 60.
Thank you and i await to hear your reply.

Loyal Customer AND Stock Holder
Justin
Reply Quote
I agree...when you can get an insanely good legendary item from a random chest of dead body in the game and spending 30 minutes like you said on a pack of champions only to get a few magical items it doesn't make sense.

It all comes down to Blizz making the game more farmable outside of bad !@# monsters. In D2 it was the quality of the mob that got you good items, now in D3 it's the quantity of the mob.

You have a better chance of getting good items breezing through a cave with TONs of easy monsters than spending the same amount of time on one powerful mob.
Reply Quote
Hell is supposed to be hard... I mean come on, even d2 on a fresh char. that was only in self found loot it was extremely hard to do some !@#$.. It was just so long ago most people don't remember and are used being rushed or have all top end gear already.
Reply Quote
That's why they call it hell, now imagine diff. inferno
Reply Quote
i have to agree, the difficulty of these monsters doesn't scale very well
i can mow through normal mobs, but a blue mob hits me for 4k over and over :(
20k life isn't all that much i guess
Reply Quote
You are undergeared for hell, thats what they meant when they said people might need to farm before moving ahead to a new dificulty setting
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
no because after the first time killing a boss as i've seen the drop rate of good items also goes down. honestly i have yet to get a "rare" item of a boss through all of nightmare and start of hell, im starting to wonder just how powerful the magic find is in this game. because i have like 8MF and find nothing useful.
Reply Quote
05/18/2012 09:17 AMPosted by Bloodyhitman
no because after the first time killing a boss as i've seen the drop rate of good items also goes down. honestly i have yet to get a "rare" item of a boss through all of nightmare and start of hell, im starting to wonder just how powerful the magic find is in this game. because i have like 8MF and find nothing useful.

i have 80% MF i get rares every 20minutes or so from regular/champion mobs
Reply Quote
Why is everyone crying about this....Farm farm farm, then move forward.

*Edit* 109% MF Barb...Accumulating rares every 10 to 15 minutes from champion mobs wherever I go.
Edited by Pandora1337#2478 on 5/18/2012 9:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am a barb and play with a DH we are about 57 act 3 hell, we kill everything pretty easy except certain combinations. But I went defense build, around 80% dmg reduction and 40k hp. Any class that can equip a shield can do this, it just isn't that much fun when soloing, but it isn't hard to have two sets of gear... I salvage hundreds of items a day anyway.
Reply Quote
I understand there are a lot of new players to this game franchise, but come on people. This is diablo, and it is actually hard. This isn't a game that rewards you for everything you do like the terrible quest/reward mmo models that are out there now. This game is chance and luck when it comes to getting rewarded. The only guaranteed reward is your satisfaction of slaying many monsters.

If you find that it takes you more than 5 minutes to kill a monster that isn't a boss, then go back and kill weaker monsters, get better gear, then go back to the harder ones. Magic finding isn't about killing the hardest monsters in the game Nd expecting a reward out of it. Magic finding is killing thousands of monsters over a long period of gaming and THEN being rewarded.

This is diablo, if you don't like getting bad drops then I suggest you uninstall now and save youself a lot of wasted time.
Reply Quote
I understand there are a lot of new players to this game franchise, but come on people. This is diablo, and it is actually hard. This isn't a game that rewards you for everything you do like the terrible quest/reward mmo models that are out there now. This game is chance and luck when it comes to getting rewarded. The only guaranteed reward is your satisfaction of slaying many monsters.

If you find that it takes you more than 5 minutes to kill a monster that isn't a boss, then go back and kill weaker monsters, get better gear, then go back to the harder ones. Magic finding isn't about killing the hardest monsters in the game Nd expecting a reward out of it. Magic finding is killing thousands of monsters over a long period of gaming and THEN being rewarded.

This is diablo, if you don't like getting bad drops then I suggest you uninstall now and save youself a lot of wasted time.

Are you on hell difficulty?

The problem is that hell is relatively easily to deal with overall except for the uber overpowered unique w/ minions that have mortar, jailer, and frozen. These guys are ridiculously strong and they drop no worthwhile loot consistently; therefore, the OP is suggesting that we should skip them until Blizzard does something to increase the probability that these monsters drop better items.

And yes, it takes well over 5 minutes to kill some uniques and minions in hell. And I'm almost done with act 3 hell.

AKA: why go to the gym and work out if you are guaranteed to see no gains or extremely little gains? It's like Blizzard maltnutrition'd us and we can't build muscle til they fix something xD
Edited by Jjang#1797 on 5/18/2012 10:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
my issue is only in how much damage the champ/unique monsters do
they seem to hit for 3-4k over and over, and really fast, and u cant fight 1 at a time
so really u take 12k each time they attack
even with 40k life i dont see this working......
Reply Quote
I'm now in act III I got my !@# handed to me I farmed a few items and now its a breeze. You need to gear up more before complaining Hell is supposed to be hard
Reply Quote
Fights like the one the OP described is the entire reason I love this game. I agree with him that the reward is not the best for killing Champion mobs. I also agree that it is probably better off (for some people) to skip these mobs. The only reason I'll be killing these mobs is because I find it enjoyable, and any rewards are just a bonus.
Reply Quote
Gear up, level up, and stop complaining or go back to WoW. Hell mode is supposed to be Hell. Learn how to deal with it, get the gear you need to get, and stop trying to jump ahead. If you can't fight the monsters at that point then your gear and level isn't good enough. Maybe you should go back to NM.
Reply Quote

The problem is that hell is relatively easily to deal with overall except for the uber overpowered unique w/ minions that have mortar, jailer, and frozen. These guys are ridiculously strong and they drop no worthwhile loot consistently; therefore, the OP is suggesting that we should skip them until Blizzard does something to increase the probability that these monsters drop better items.

And yes, it takes well over 5 minutes to kill some uniques and minions in hell. And I'm almost done with act 3 hell.

AKA: why go to the gym and work out if you are guaranteed to see no gains or extremely little gains? It's like Blizzard maltnutrition'd us and we can't build muscle til they fix something xD

No it's the other way around. If you could sit on the couch and eat potato chips (Ie: farm regular mobs/champions) for the same reward as strenuously working out to the point where you puke (attempt insane unique monsters) most people are just gonna choose the former. Now I'm not saying that people shouldn't be able to enjoy the reward of killing harder monsters, but there needs to be a corresponding benefit in some way in regard to taking a more challenging road. From a design standpoint this is akin to pouring all your resources into content many people will choose to forego in exchange for easier farming of loot.
Reply Quote

Have you played diablo before?

That is diablo. It is the reason this game is so popular and timeless. The situation the OP is talking about has been around for many years and there are still many loyal players who will tell you what I told you before.

P.s. there were elite monsters in d2 that were impossible to kill because they had immunity to all your damage types. So people had to just run by them. D3 will be the same.
Edited by Villah#1820 on 5/18/2012 11:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Or how bout you wait till 60 for the stacking magic find buff that you get from killing rare packs? ohnowait. QQ on forums HUZZAH
Reply Quote
The fact that they eradicated the boss farming is the best thing that could happen to Diablo. Everyone should admit that it is funnier to farm while doing entire map rather than porting to a boss and repeat. The battlefield change and the ennemies. PLUS now, we have an additional goal and it is to be ready to pwn people in the eventual arena.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]