Diablo® III

The Prophet (spoilers)

Anyone else think Eirena's prophet is Itherael?

I did a search and only found suggestions that it was Inarius but I don't think that fits. I don't think he could see the future, and I think he was imprisoned shortly after creating Sanctuary, like ancient history. I also don't think Itherael would tell Eirena he was dead.

I mean it all makes sense to me. The prophet was an angel, and he knew something was going to happen 1500 years in the future. Itherael's the only one that can read the Scroll of Fate, and he was one of the few angels that supported humans. It would also make sense that he'd want to hide his identity and interference with sanctuary by claiming he knew of the prophet and that he died long ago.
Edited by Astasia#1433 on 5/20/2012 7:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure It's Inarius. I read The Sin War trilogy and Inarius posed as the Prophet while on the mortal plane. I could be entirely wrong but every time she mentioned the Prophet I always assumed it was Inarius.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Slevinn
I'm pretty sure It's Inarius. I read The Sin War trilogy and Inarius posed as the Prophet while on the mortal plane. I could be entirely wrong but every time she mentioned the Prophet I always assumed it was Inarius.
The time she was put in stasis was 1500 years after the Sin War. So Inarius was no longer in Sanctuary and instead being tortured somewhere in Hell.

I personally agree with the OP. Itherael seems like a very possible candidate for doing something of this sort.
Edited by Herby20#1244 on 5/20/2012 8:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure it was Itherael.

They're forbidden to interact directly with humans, and only Tyrael can brazenly do so since, in terms of battle prowess, he was at par with Imperius. Itherael, as he had explained in Act 4, was not chosen as a champion but only to observe, but if he knew this was going to happen - this was an act of self-preservation. He didn't want to die.
Reply Quote
There's another thing she says in act 1 which I think confirms it's not Inarius. If you wander around the Cathedral enough with her she says something like: "A lot of secrets are hidden here, too many for one mind to fathom. Someone like The Prophet was here, long ago."

IIRC the cathedral was built by Inarius, so I think she's sensing an angel "like the prophet" having been there in the distant past. The fact that it's her saying "long ago" I think also implies it was much more than 1500 years ago.
Reply Quote
You know, about the Prophet...

#1: Itherael makes it pretty clear in several comments, that he cannot see the future of the hero because he is Nephalem. He also insinuates that all Nephalem are like this... that their destiny in not set in stone, they possess freewill, and can change the destiny of others who cannot (such as Angels and Demons).

#2: Itherael's visions and his Scroll of Fate, make him the foremost expert in reading the future.

IMHO, Itherael is a great candidate to be the Prophet. If not him, then the angel who gave Eirena the scroll before he died. It would explain the secrecy and why neither could not save the sisters, because Imperius was being a total jerk about Tyrael meddling with mortals, and feared his own activities being known.

Now all that said... if the Prophet was an angel, how could he foretell the Nephalem hero? Again, Itherael is very clear that he can tell nothing about him/her: the scrolls are blank, his visions are dark. However Eirena is very clear that the Prophet knew about the Nephalem hero. She even has one random comment, when she giggles about the Prophet mentioning an embarrassing trait he/she has (but doesn't tell what it is).

If Itherael (or that unknown angel) cannot see anything about the hero's destiny, how can he be the Prophet? Conversely: either the Nephalem hero has a future that can be predicted, or he/she does not.
Edited by Nargrakhan#1559 on 5/21/2012 2:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I want to think it is Itherael too, manly because he is my fav and I wanna see more of him, but I dont think it is him. When you talk to Eirena about the scroll she says Itherael was unaware of any angle taking part in the actions of The Prophet, saying he was being very secretive about it his actions. So unless Itherael was lying then it can not be him.
Reply Quote
I'll go with Inarius because of the Sin War series and the Mage Clan War
Reply Quote
i am 99% sure its Inarius.There is so much references that fit towards him.
things mentioned similar in the sin war trilogy and the book of cain aswell.

The timehole is just another not so well thought out storywriting by Blizzard story stuff.

The intresting thing is: Inarius obviously still had angel fans in Heaven.(at least the dying angel with the scroll)
Since all evil is prolly gone now,maybe in an expansion we will venture down in the Burning Hells and release him from his eternal prison.Maybe we even meet Lilith again.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
source: http://soe.hubpages.com/hub/Eirena-the-Enchantress-Lore-and-Character-Dialogue-Guide-Diablo-3

A Hidden Legacy Dialogue:
Available at the start of the Quest: Beneath the Spire (Act IV)

Enchantress Eirena:
I spoke to Itherael, and he helped me translate the document. It was written by an angel who saw promise in humanity...

He began to teach a group of young women who had killed the daemons their masters summoned...

Player:
You and your sisters?

Enchantress Eirena:
None other. The Prophet I have followed for so many years... He was an angel!

Player:
That is why you knew Tyrael was an angel.

Enchantress Eirena:
Yes... but I do not know whether the Prophet was the dying angel I met or not. The writings say that he worked in absolute secrecy. Itherael knew nothing of them.

Player:
Then you must find a new path through the world without him.

Enchantress Eirena:
You are right. And I hope that path will still be with you, my friend,

I Believe it's Malthael, who have been absent since the discovery of Sanctuary.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 07:31 AMPosted by Brunobyof
I Believe it's Malthael, who have been absent since the discovery of Sanctuary.

He has only been absent since the destruction of the Worldstone.
Reply Quote
He has only been absent since the destruction of the Worldstone.

In game it says he's been absent since the Worldstone was "Lost" which could mean either when Inarius took it or when Tyrael destroyed it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Exactly. I believe he was absent since Inarius and lilith took it from the pandemonium.

But this prophet could foresee the future, couldn't he? So i think it should be Itherael, not Malthael. but the above dialogue put it clearly that hesnot Itherael either....im confused.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Slevinn

you got it
Reply Quote
the probability of the said prophet i think is inarius>ithereal>maltheal

I think Inarius is the most likely candidate ...
Reply Quote
I'm almost positive the prophet is Inarius.

After reading the sin war, it just makes sense.
Reply Quote
It's Inarius.

If you listen to the tales of your followers at the very end of the game (i think it's the enchantress), it goes through a long-!@# dialogue with your follower saying it was Inarius.
Reply Quote
I am betting it is actually Malthael. The reason Eirena's sisters died is because Malthael is driven off the deep end and he ended up killing the sisters in a fit of rage.
Reply Quote
Mathael was there for the vote at the end of the sin wars, he abstained, so he hasn't been missing since the stone was taken. He has likely been missing since the stone was destroyed.

As for Inarius being the Prophet. I'd be curious what his scheme was if he was the Prophet. However, i don't think he is the Prophet and it's probably just coincidence that he would share the name.

For Itherael, he could have seen the destruction of the worldstone and known it meant the return of the nephalem, but not the actual fate of nephalem. He may very well know that Imperius is a threat and does not want to reveal himself as the Prophet to anyone since Imperius is still in the picture.
Reply Quote
First off the Sin War IS the eternal conflict NOT just the book trilogy. The writing team seems to have picked and chose what they wanted as canon in d3 from d1 d2 and the sin war trilogy so just because the books happened in a particualr timeframe from when the enchantress met the prophet doesn't mean anything because they can make it that way with no reguard to what was already in plac case and point the plot of d3......

The Prophet has to be Inarius since 1. he WAS the prophet in the books and 2. the writers clearly read the books and decided to add lore from them into the game So Ithereal being called the prophet for no reason makes no sense were as if the prophet was inarius it gives us some interesting open ended options with Inarius.

For example Inarius is in hell and has been sine the books so by bringing him back into the game in an expansion as maybe a corrupted angel like Izual then we the player Should want to pursue the enchantress's story.

I mcould be wrong but IMO it makes no sense is Inarius ISN'T the prophet.
Edited by Princess318#1771 on 5/25/2012 3:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]