Diablo® III

The Prophet (spoilers)

I want to know why the enchantress can ID tyrial as an angel right off the bat, but never knew the prophet was an angel?

yet its said that she was able to ID tyrial because the prophet was an angel.
So how can she claim that her ability to spot one angel is from knowing another angel yet be suprised that the first angel she knew was an angel?

Its like saying I can tell that the tree growing in your yard is an apple tree because I also have an apple tree. HOLY CRAP! I have an apple tree and never knew it!
Reply Quote
Malthael dissapeared after the Worldstone was destroyed, but he started to go dark/mad ever since it was stolen, spending a lot of time looking for it without success. I suppose he could have been spending a lot of time studying Sanctuary after the events of the sin wars, learning all he could of the Nephalem and their world. But considering he found the entire fate of Sanctuary insignificant(during the vote to save/destroy it), its unlikely he would bother saving, teaching, and sending the Enchantress and her sisters to the future.

Itherael sees himself purely as a watcher, it would make little sense for him to intervene like that, although he would have the knowledge that something really bad would happen and that nephalems would be the only one able to change fate.

it seems the Sin wars(according to the book trilogy) happened 3000 years ago, wich would mean Inarius couldn't be the prophet since he was handed off to mephisto at the end of the conflict, unless he somehow freed himself and went into hiding in Sanctuary. If he did get free, he would be the most likely candidate for the Prophet, considering he used the name before, and this subtle way of infuencing the fate of Sanctuary seems to be in accordance with his personality.

It could also simply be a lesser angel(or a group of them) trying to avert the destruction of the heavens. It's said that Itherael has many angels studying and decyphering fragments of information from his scroll(through shards of the Crystal Arch in the Library of Fate), so one of them could have very well seen the coming end of the heavens and tried to prevent it by sending Nephalems to change the future.

We may never know who the "Prophet" really was, or what happened to him, an upcoming expansion might give us more clues to go on, but it sure is fun to speculate for now
my money is on Inarius or one of Itherael's scribes who decyphered the prophecy.
Reply Quote
http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=110000100

do you guys not search google?

the prophet was inarius -.-
Reply Quote

Both you and the others saying this need to learn to look up dates. The Enchantress went into stasis about 1500 years before the events of the Diablo games. Inarius was taken by Mephisto and imprisoned in Hell 3000 years before the events of the game. It isn't Inarius.
Reply Quote
I want to know why the enchantress can ID tyrial as an angel right off the bat, but never knew the prophet was an angel?

yet its said that she was able to ID tyrial because the prophet was an angel.
So how can she claim that her ability to spot one angel is from knowing another angel yet be suprised that the first angel she knew was an angel?

Its like saying I can tell that the tree growing in your yard is an apple tree because I also have an apple tree. HOLY CRAP! I have an apple tree and never knew it!

MB the prophet made an attempt to hide his identity thru his angel powers whereas tyrael did not (he wouldn't have to bcuz he already revealed his ID in act 1 and we got eirena in act2). He probably knows that you're the chosen one just doesn't know if you'll kick !@# or get whooped =)

And i do think its posisble to be ithaereal. IIRC he doesn't know exactly what will happen to the player, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know he/she is the keyman.
Edited by Angelbelle#1587 on 5/26/2012 1:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The Book of Cain says Inarius was the Prophet.
The dates/time stuff is just Blizz and their plot holes.
Reply Quote
could be a plot hole or the fact that it was 1500 years apart may be significant in what we do not know. Maybe Inarius escaped, maybe he had a child who was the reincarnation of Inarius. It was stated the 3000year ago prophet was the mortal aspect of Inarius yet he was still taken by mephisto as an angel. This discrepancy may be revealing the powers of angels. Maybe the 1500 year ago prophet was like Leah and inarius is secretly influencing that one.

actually that would make perfect sense that inarius had a child via the 3000year ago prophet that had been descending tilll 1500hundred and maybe that descendant realized who he was. It would parallel diablo and leah wit inarius having an angel baby
Edited by JPMT214#1117 on 5/26/2012 10:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Both you and the others saying this need to learn to look up dates. The Enchantress went into stasis about 1500 years before the events of the Diablo games. Inarius was taken by Mephisto and imprisoned in Hell 3000 years before the events of the game. It isn't Inarius.

I've gone over this before:

1) Assuming that The Prophet is NOT Inarius, that means that we now have TWO angels that went amongst the nephalem in secret with a religious theme, training them to battle the forces of Hell, and referred to themselves as The Prophet. E.G a A.U/ 100% duplicate of the Inarius character, except this new Inarius might be free.

That is absolutely BS and idiotic. 110% pure, undiluted stupid. Just think about it for a minute.

2) This 'The Prophet' IS Inarius and I would not count on them coming up with a good reason or plot pertaining escaping Hell or w.e, instead they just retconned his character.

There is a 50-50 chance between them. Option #1 should never, ever, at all even possibly be considered when it comes to stories but I honestly can't tell here.
Reply Quote
I've gone over this before:

1) Assuming that The Prophet is NOT Inarius, that means that we now have TWO angels that went amongst the nephalem in secret with a religious theme, training them to battle the forces of Hell, and referred to themselves as The Prophet. E.G a A.U/ 100% duplicate of the Inarius character, except this new Inarius might be free.

That is absolutely BS and idiotic. 110% pure, undiluted stupid. Just think about it for a minute.

2) This 'The Prophet' IS Inarius and I would not count on them coming up with a good reason or plot pertaining escaping Hell or w.e, instead they just retconned his character.

There is a 50-50 chance between them. Option #1 should never, ever, at all even possibly be considered when it comes to stories but I honestly can't tell here.

First off, i didn't notice a "religious" theme with the Eirena's prophet, if i missed it, please correct me

Secondly, since Angels are prohibited by law to directly interfere with the mortal world, its more than possible that other Angels who wanted to help them disguised themselves to avoid detection from both Heaven and Hell, so two mysterious mentors trying to help mortals defend themselves agains the coming darkness 1500 years apart is far from "110% pure, undiluted stupid"

As for the name "prophet" I'll admit it's hard to believe a coincidence considering Blizzard named both, and i doubt it was completely unintentional. But on a more realistic side, its like saying 2 people sharing the same nickname MUST be the same person.

Hey look, a Theory #3: A lesser Angel(or a small group of them) wih a similar mindset as Inarius continued to watch over mankind after the end of the Sin Sars, 1500 years later, one of them goes to sanctuary, disguises himself as "the prophet" in honor of Inarius's sacrifice, finds and trains mortals with promising powers, and send them to the future where they will be most needed.

hey look, a valid theory that doesn't involve Inarius as the prophet, it must be "absolutely BS and idiotic .110% pure, undiluted stupid. "
Reply Quote

As for the name "prophet" I'll admit it's hard to believe a coincidence considering Blizzard named both, and i doubt it was completely unintentional.
They forgot what the details were for Inarius, Fang.
Reply Quote
source: http://soe.hubpages.com/hub/Eirena-the-Enchantress-Lore-and-Character-Dialogue-Guide-Diablo-3

A Hidden Legacy Dialogue:
Available at the start of the Quest: Beneath the Spire (Act IV)

Enchantress Eirena:
I spoke to Itherael, and he helped me translate the document. It was written by an angel who saw promise in humanity...

He began to teach a group of young women who had killed the daemons their masters summoned...

Player:
You and your sisters?

Enchantress Eirena:
None other. The Prophet I have followed for so many years... He was an angel!

Player:
That is why you knew Tyrael was an angel.

Enchantress Eirena:
Yes... but I do not know whether the Prophet was the dying angel I met or not. The writings say that he worked in absolute secrecy. Itherael knew nothing of them.

Player:
Then you must find a new path through the world without him.

Enchantress Eirena:
You are right. And I hope that path will still be with you, my friend,

I Believe it's Malthael, who have been absent since the discovery of Sanctuary.

^This
I thought it was Inarius until I did this dialogue.
Reply Quote

I'm stopping here, because you have a fundamental error in what you are saying. Inarius wasn't training people to fight the forces of Hell. The whole point of him creating Sanctuary was he wanted away from the Eternal Conflict. He wanted the nephalem to worship him. Lilith was the one who wanted to use the nephalem as an army to take over all of creation.
Reply Quote
05/27/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Herby
I'm stopping here, because you have a fundamental error in what you are saying. Inarius wasn't training people to fight the forces of Hell. The whole point of him creating Sanctuary was he wanted away from the Eternal Conflict. He wanted the nephalem to worship him. Lilith was the one who wanted to use the nephalem as an army to take over all of creation.

Actually, the whole point of the Sin Wars is that Inarius found out the forces of Hell created a religion(Triune) to influence and take over Sanctuary, Inarius then founded his own religion(Cathedral of Light), became the Prophet and amassed followers to fight the Triune....

So yeah, he did train humans to fight the forces of hell("forces" can mean a lot more than just an army of demons), but that was a last resort, and ended pretty badly for him(eternal tortue in hell)
Reply Quote
I am The Prophet...and I forsee that you will all be forever alone, living in your mum's basement.
Reply Quote
Exactly. I believe he was absent since Inarius and lilith took it from the pandemonium.

But this prophet could foresee the future, couldn't he? So i think it should be Itherael, not Malthael. but the above dialogue put it clearly that hesnot Itherael either....im confused.

Malthael was there with the other Arch Angels at the end of Sin War Trilogy to vote on the fate of the Nephalim.

Malthael abstained, but it was counted against them.
Edited by Graverobber#1713 on 2/27/2013 3:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
...To counter the Triune, he took on the mantle of "the Prophet" and formed his own gospel, disseminating it from his Cathedral of Light. With this act, the secret war for mankind's soul had begun, a struggle that would come to be known as the Sin War. Read the wiki. although it might not be complete fact since it is Wiki, but the whole story makes sense http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Inarius
Reply Quote
I believe the same. It must be Malthael because as Wisdom he may have also had the abillitie to see the future. Malthael was very powerful some of the books you find in the High Heavens say: Imperious, with the abscence of Malthael he became the ruler of the high heavens. And: Auriel with Malthael missing she became the aspect of Hope. And so on. So I think it must be him.
Reply Quote
Just wanted to add something to this discussion....

The Enchantress said that she and her Sisters called him "The Prophet".

So far.. haven't seen anything that states that this angel called himself The Prophet.

Now.. Let's queue up for more discussion!
Reply Quote
View profile
It cannot be inarius because he 1. is way out of the time period (assuming this is not a plothole)and 2. the prophet is assumed to have worked in absolute secrecy, which ultimately was not the case.

If the time periods matched, however, it is possible inarius put the enchantresses to sleep before the sin war trilogy events even happened.
Reply Quote
See the truth here guys!!!
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Inarius
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]