Diablo® III

Widowmakers vs. Spined Dart

85 Orc Death Knight
Which of these two would be better for getting mana back after using it up w/ dire bats / spirit barrages etc?

Also, if there is a more efficient way of building mana that'd be great to know. Any help appreciated.
Reply Quote
Don't use widowmakers or spined darts, they're very mediocre in damage compared to other skills that you can potentially be using. Some good methods to build up mana would be passives such as spiritual attunement, blood ritual, rush of essence and the best one of all vision quest. Some active skills that can help you build up mana would be soul harvest or spirit walk (runed). Some of these skills require some levels though. Good luck.
Reply Quote
Well considering those two, widowmakers will produce more mana.
Reply Quote
Disagree, I use those passives/skills bar VQ at lvl60 and the mana regen is not enough, I have to use spined dart
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 08:10 PMPosted by Auxion
Disagree, I use those passives/skills bar VQ at lvl60 and the mana regen is not enough, I have to use spined dart
Try getting some mana regen gears, it works very well with VQ. At level 60, you can get about +10 mana/sec attribute and that is +30 mana per second under VQ.
Reply Quote
darts, darts allow you to regain mana from anywhere with their essentially infinite range, gaining back mana is as easy as spirit walking (with mana regen rune) and spamming darts comfortably, or throwing in darts in between poison cloud spams (180% dmg per dart is nothing to laugh at). by the time the mobs get to you you've done a good amount of deeps and you've got your mana back up. this would also work with spiders but I prefer darts because spiders have a bit of build up in their damage and mana gain, and the widowmakers are easily dodged by fast mobs (leaping spiders are the only ones without this problem)

also i recommend running blood ritual, its much more effective than spiritual attunement, which just gives you a bigger mana pool

another thing to keep in mind is that the mana gain is a flat number, meaning the more atk spd you have the faster you're going to gain your mana back using either the darts or the spiders
Edited by Homesuck#1634 on 5/20/2012 8:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't like VQ spamming 4cd's just for mana regen leaves u pretty vunerable.
i have a helm with 9mana regen, but axes/swords/shield just provide better stats atm for me
Reply Quote
Spined dart barely regens any mana at all it seems. In fact I am wondering if it causes a mana deficient like mana runed spirit barrage does.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
So what I am deciding between with the following comments (thanks everyone for advice):

1. (being a higher level) use VQ and make abilities such as Spirit Walk not as useful by rune-ing them for mana and using cooldowns for purposes other than utility / versatility

2. Use widowmakers and sacrifice damage

From what I have taken about widowmakers vs. darts: Widowmakers might give more mana, however Darts are easier to manipulate

Also, one person has mentioned that they find the mana regen of VQ not enough.

Any help is appreciated. So far, since I am all about versatility and such, I will be saving my cooldowns for more important things than mana with VQ / Spirit Walk runes etc. (Between spined dart and widows, I am going to have to do some playing around it seems).

Keep in mind that I am a low level of 35 and will probably be doing some playing around with VQ vs. Widows in the future.

For this thread's purpose, we can assume I have all passives, abilities, and runes.
Edited by Rawrcake#1959 on 5/20/2012 8:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Widowmaker gives more mana but it takes time to toss the jars, I would go for spined darts just because it works better in most situations.
Reply Quote
So what I am deciding between with the following comments (thanks everyone for advice):

1. (being a higher level) use VQ and make abilities such as Spirit Walk not as useful by rune-ing them for mana and using cooldowns for purposes other than utility / versatility

2. Use widowmakers and sacrifice damage

From what I have taken about widowmakers vs. darts: Widowmakers might give more mana, however Darts are easier to manipulate

I hate the soul harvest vision quest meta so i dont support number 1
but number 2, the theoretical problem with widowmakers is that because they dont do damage, they thus cant regain you mana. the spiders are rather slow, and if you're kiting mobs (which you should have to in the higher difficulties), the spiders wont even be able to hit the target, and if they dont hit anything then no mana.
Another thing I didnt mention is the importance of cc in mana regen without VQ. cc'd mobs provide a mana well for any doc running widows or spined darts, they just sit there while you damage and thus regain mana on them. running good cc makes widows loads more viable, as chickens are a lot easier for the spiders to hit than fast tele champions. for this reason (and that hard cc is incredibly valuable in any game), i run hex and mass confusion, both super low mana costs while making it miles easier for me to regain my mana, no matter which primary I pick.

here's my build, hope it helps the decision
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149178604?page=1#7
Reply Quote
This is my build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bRUfdT!WbX!baccZZ

The key strength of this build is that you can spam Zombie Bears pretty much non-stop while having the gargantuan to tank for you and the Widow Maker spiders to mess up the mobs' AI. I found Spine Dust to not work as well since you need to actually aim at the mobs whereas you can just chug spider jars at any general direction of your enemies.
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
05/20/2012 08:19 PMPosted by Sonris
Spined dart barely regens any mana at all it seems. In fact I am wondering if it causes a mana deficient like mana runed spirit barrage does.

Well buddy, let's do some math here.

It rewards 24 mana, and costs 9 mana. Now, I'm assuming you passed kindergarden, so can you tell me what 24 minus 9 is?

That's right, it's 15! What a smart little boy you are! Here's a gold star, now go play in traffic.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Looks like widows > spined for mana

but spined > widows for easier / possibly more effective use

thing is that I am mostly in groups and I probably will be for the most part starting right now in nightmare

If there's a barb in the group that is great. If there is not, I can always use gargantuan, however I hear he gets weak in higher difficulties. Either way, barb / garg should help in keeping monsters from constantly running at me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]