Diablo® III

Resistance softcap

Soup,

my monk is currently in Inferno half way through Act I, cleared everything solo so far. I've been heavily relying on armor, resistances and dodge. Now my resistances are at 390 each thanks to the great passive. Coupled with 29k life, it's okay to survive but it seems like I've pretty much overdone it.
Currently with 390 I take 56,49% reduced damage and 58,44% from armor. I've been aiming to lower my resistance to ~50% while increasing my armor to at least 62%.

Anyone done any theorycrafting on this so far?
Reply Quote
I this res is better option for monks try find res all + one elemental res items for your set you should be able to get much much more DR
Reply Quote
After beating act 2 inferno. I can confidently tell you that 50% resist does not cut it, hell 60% and you will still be seeing gray screens. Get it up to 600+ (70% reduction i think?) at least then stop, go for armor 70% reduction, then stack dex + vit.
Reply Quote
How in the world would I get 600+ resistance AND 70% armor (which is like 6k armor).

05/24/2012 02:27 AMPosted by SamsonIX
I this res is better option for monks try find res all + one elemental res items for your set you should be able to get much much more DR

Thanks a bunch I never thought about that, but it's so simple actually. Thanks again.
Reply Quote
so it seems that somewhere around 4000 or 5000 armor there is a soft cap. i go from 4071 armor with 57.57 damage mitigation from armor.useing keen strike with deadly reach my armor increases by 50 percent so that takes me to 6106 armor but i only have 67.05 damage reduction math is pretty simple to make out theres a 10 percent increase from what should be a 28.w/e increase. i was stacking dex and using the dex conversion buff to armor but looks like its better to stack vitality at this point and use the dodge fist, possibly cripplingwave/concussion and wall of wind for increase dodge chance on cyclone attack considering mitigation is basicly out the window and not taking damage by dodging is better than getting hit in the first place.havent looked at dodge soft cap yet though.
Edited by pocketemu#1765 on 5/24/2012 1:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Don't worry about your armor and resist soft caps.
The enemies in Inferno are higher than level 60 and get higher and higher as you go on so it's not actually an issue.
The value displayed is only against level 60 targets.

Just don't stack dodge past 60 with MoE short boost. It does nothing.
Edited by Blame#1580 on 5/24/2012 1:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There's no such thing as a softcap. There are only just diminishing returns as you go higher.

Also, resists scale better as enemy level increases, so resists = better for Inferno.
Reply Quote
Looks like a lot of opinions are going around. Personally I'm not seeing a lot of difference stacking resistance. Will try to get 500 and tell you guys if there's any difference.

I strongly assume armor is the way to go first, then stack vitality to about 50k before going for dexterity (obviously not dismissing dex before that)
Reply Quote
I have all resist to about 512, and it does a world of difference. I tried to equip gear without resist, focusing on dex + vitality but no resist (or not centered around it). I died in ONE shot from an Arcane beam in Inferno...

With my 512 resist, I could take 2-4 ticks before going down. It also helps ton against physical damage since physical resistance is also raised by OWE :)
Edited by zyriana#1731 on 5/24/2012 10:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
dont forget that monks can get huge amounts of -enemy damage done from skills / passives. This applies BEFORE your mitigation kicks in.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 10:28 PMPosted by Margin
dont forget that monks can get huge amounts of -enemy damage done from skills / passives. This applies BEFORE your mitigation kicks in.

It wouldn't matter if it was before or after because they all just multiply together.
Reply Quote
No, you're wrong. The "diminishing returns" thing is poor logic. Consider: You have 57% reduction, and go to 67% reduction. Say there's a 100 damage incoming hit. You were eating 43 damage, now you're eating 33. That's 30% less damage taken than before. The % increase appears smaller, but the real reduction in damage increases.
Reply Quote
I currently have 58% armor dr and 950res or 75% or something and still getting owned
Reply Quote
As a rule of thumb, you want your armor to be 10x your resistances. Ie if you have 200 resist all, and 2000 armor, 10 points in armor has the same effect as 1 point in resist all on effective health.

And yeah, it isn't diminishing returns. Effective health actually grows geometrically as you increase damage reduction (resists or armor), so each additional point is worth more than the one before it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]