Diablo® III

Dual-wielding One Handed Crossbows Vs. Quiver

i think im even more confused now..lol.i'll just stick with a nice bow and quiver
Reply Quote
When dual-wielding as a Demon Hunter, you get a 15% increased attack speed bonus. That is the only bonus you get from dual wielding though – your weapon damage from each individual weapon is not combined but rather independent.

Each time you fire your bow, you get the weapon damage offered by your individual weapon. This means that if your offhand is significantly weaker than your mainhand, your damage can actually suffer because you have to fire the weaker offhand. Offhand and Mainhand have to be very close in DPS and have good stats (i.e. +dexterity) for them to be worth it.

Note that in Diablo 3 the Quiver itself can offer stats and that each quiver has 10-11% increased attack speed on it naturally. This means that you actually only get 4-5% increased attack speed from dual-wielding. Since 2-handed bows usually deal more damage than 1-handed hand crossbows, you can almost never find a situation where it is better to dual-wield over using a 2-hander.
Reply Quote
That being said, there are alot of one handers out there, that have as much damage as a 2H (meaning 1200 and up on dps) but they are also twice the price!
Reply Quote
I was wonder, cause i never really checked this out, but the archer passive, if you dual wield a one hand crossbow, do you get 20% crit hit chance or is it still 10%?

And i believe someone here said that attack speed of the offhand does not stack with a main hand, does that mean that if you have 14% atk speed on both weapon and the 15% from wielding dual it doesnt add up to 43% attack speed? Or does it work as 14% from the weapon its firing and 15% from the dual wielding adding 29% attack speed per attack?

And if that's how it works what other stats would works like the attack speed on dual wield? Maybe life on hit works like this as well? insteading adding combined amount of life on hit from both weapon every time you hit, you just life per hit the amount thats on the each weapon as it fires?
Edited by Ozma#1710 on 5/31/2012 6:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
05/31/2012 06:51 AMPosted by Baelthus
Its hard to simplify this issue without OVER-simplifying it.

yep

also
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149147849
Reply Quote
what stats does a 1h xbow/quiver have to have in order to succeed a 1h xbow/quiver?
Umm...nothing, they are the same thing.
Reply Quote
Yeah i just have 1 question

I now have my bow which says it has 1.40 attack speed per sec.

However my stats says i have 1.60 attack per second and when i took off my quiver which says

(attack speed increased by 14%) i have 1.40 attack per second. Does this mean that quivers will make you fire slower?
Edited by Argentum#1883 on 8/24/2012 5:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You want your attack speed stat to be as high as possible. The quiver in your case is giving you .20 more attacks per second than without.
Reply Quote
What I would like explained by the D3 programmers, is why a demon hunter can have a dual handed weapon with two sockets (which no other character class has) - PLUS the ability to also equip an off hand item (quiver also with a socketl) - which no other character class can do. Surely someone has made a big mistake with the the demon hunter build?

I have seen low level demon huneters doing well over 245K dps unbuffed damage with that configuration !!!
Reply Quote

1h xbows can have +max discipline. That's one of the main reasons two 1h xbows can be the best possible, because you can get more discipline than any other build.

Huh? So what's the advantage for dual wielding again?

Can't I just get a 1h bow with disc and a quiver with disc?

DML flatly beat the cost and utility effectiveness compared to DW.
You will have one 'free affix' on the quiver when the 'average dmg affix' in off-hand for DW has to be there.
Reply Quote
uh crap.. you necro'd a May 31 thread, and made me type all this >__>

FML I'll post it anyway

"This info used to be true until specifically DMLs/quiver buffs came out. Manticore and Calamity are both good, but dual wielding just can't beat having a DML because:
20% aspd quiver > 15% aspd (dual wield bonus)
10 DISC quiver = 10 disc bow
200 dex quiver = 200 dex bow
Hatred regen quiver = Hatred regen bow

The tradeoff is:
+10% CC
+14% DAMAGE (hungering/bola/or reduced resource)
+200 VIT
+5% attackspeed

(If no 10 max Discipline, this becomes 300+ DEX & 300+ VIT instead of 200/200)

VS.

+200% CD <-- This is the only thing that a quiver doesn't have

Now take a look at the best calamities on the auction house. Calamity only has ONE free property (i.e. NO DEX, NO VIT, NO DISC). You will definitely want a socket

Your new tradeoff for the --best bow on the current market-- becomes:
+10% CC
+14% damage potential (hungering/bola/or reduced resource as well)
+5% attackspeed
+200 VIT
+200 DEX
+10 Discipline

VS.

+200% CD"
Edited by MysticaL#1298 on 1/18/2013 2:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
yeah, which one does more damage?
just found a 1200 calamity with dex and 90% crit on it. donno if its will do more damage than my manticore if i picked up another 1000 handxbow with crit and socket.
Reply Quote
uh crap.. you necro'd a May 31 thread, and made me type all this >__>

FML I'll post it anyway

"This info used to be true until specifically DMLs/quiver buffs came out. Manticore and Calamity are both good, but dual wielding just can't beat having a DML because:
20% aspd quiver > 15% aspd (dual wield bonus)
10 DISC quiver = 10 disc bow
200 dex quiver = 200 dex bow
Hatred regen quiver = Hatred regen bow

The tradeoff is:
+10% CC
+14% DAMAGE (hungering/bola/or reduced resource)
+200 VIT
+5% attackspeed

(If no 10 max Discipline, this becomes 300+ DEX & 300+ VIT instead of 200/200)

VS.

+200% CD <-- This is the only thing that a quiver doesn't have

Now take a look at the best calamities on the auction house. Calamity only has ONE free property (i.e. NO DEX, NO VIT, NO DISC). You will definitely want a socket

Your new tradeoff for the --best bow on the current market-- becomes:
+10% CC
+14% damage potential (hungering/bola/or reduced resource as well)
+5% attackspeed
+200 VIT
+200 DEX
+10 Discipline

VS.

+200% CD"

+HoL/LS is another difference. Not saying it's anywhere even close to making it even just pointing it out.
Reply Quote
yeah, which one does more damage?
just found a 1200 calamity with dex and 90% crit on it. donno if its will do more damage than my manticore if i picked up another 1000 handxbow with crit and socket.

your 1200 dps calamity will do more damage than 1175 dps manticore if you dual wield with a 1175 or above, to have same or more crit damage.

The reason is the higher base attack speed, the 12% damage bonus from mark and
1200 > 1175 damage per second.
manticore will be better if the total critical damage is less than dual wielding.

If you're using channeling skills like rapid fire/strafe, than manticore is better due to slower but heavier damage, using your resource slowly.

If you like fast attack, good reaction times with skills (cast time depends on atk spd), or using sentry that scales with attacks, go with calamity.
Reply Quote
can someone suggest to me how i can improve my build using this theory above? i've got a 1244 dps manti and a 1155 dps calamity , having a hell of a time deciding on a most effective build/weapon and skills!

i'm currently farming mp3 like it is 0 and can do mp7 solo, but decidedly am favoring around mp5-6 for keyruns, with any heavy farming done on mp3.

Should I be varying my build depending on what i'm doing in PvE like I would in PvP?
I'm finding that the calamity+spiketrap/bola build is great in higher monster powers because the attack speed and spike trap+stun works pretty well, much better than a typical hungering arrow/multishot setup that I can use in monster power 2 and 3 to clear groups of trash monsters within a shot or two.

Hopefully my diablo 3 profile is linked to my forum name there, I've also been having a small amount of trouble with that , any ideas, please do me a favor and tell me here!

Cheers!
Reply Quote
I am surprised at all those attempts to decide which way is better and calculate the damage using speed and modifier -- Diablo 3 game does it much more accurately than any of us.

So if your set of two hand crossbows gives you more calculated damage than set of one hand crossbow and a quiver, the choose the former -- unless you care specific features.
Reply Quote
JESUS....you necr0philiac!
Edited by Ryoka#1646 on 12/28/2014 4:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/27/2014 10:30 AMPosted by MaxSouth
I am surprised at all those attempts to decide which way is better and calculate the damage using speed and modifier -- Diablo 3 game does it much more accurately than any of us.

So if your set of two hand crossbows gives you more calculated damage than set of one hand crossbow and a quiver, the choose the former -- unless you care specific features.

Disregarding the fact that you necro-ed an old thread, you're basing it off paper DPS, which isn't a good way of deciding if dual-wielding something over 1h+quiver would be better just by the numbers.

eDPS factors in more things than just numbers, and the paper DPS is just a rough estimation of the damage you can pull off.
Reply Quote
12/28/2014 04:58 PMPosted by Kevmeister
eDPS factors in more things than just numbers,

Well, eDPS just factors in more numbers than paper dps does. But in the end it's still based on a bunch of numbers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]