Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

90 Troll Warrior
The spell animations on the WD are brutal, IMO. Takes like a whole second to wind up for a Poison Dart.
Reply Quote
Agreed. The Witch Doctor's design is overly stereotypical of the real-world Caribbean voodoo, including racist overtones. Was it really necessary to make the only non-white character a decrepit-looking, hunched-over demon worshiper? You would think in this day and age, the game's art and story directors would be a little more keen on this sort of thing.

The exact same criticism could be levied against WoW's trolls.

I don't think it was necessarily racism, I think it is more than the normal person thinks that most civilized areas don't have these kinds of things going on, which means things like the witch doctor stuff take place in areas where man hasn't touched. That would be tropical areas where people have darker skin.

Just saying.

It's insane how racist you're being right now; you probably are so enveloped in it that you don't even realize it.

"Normal people think that most civilized areas don't have these kinds of things going on..."

You are flat out saying everyone born in a tropical area is not normal. That only people born outside of tropical areas (presumably white) are viewed as normal.

"...takes place in areas where man hasn't touched. That would be tropical areas where people have darker skin."

Seriously? I don't even know where to begin. Now you are denying those born in tropical areas the right to even be called human. How can that be a area where man hasn't touched if men are living there?

Blizzard clean these forums up. I don't appreciate seeing this sort of racism on the forums.
Reply Quote
The 'natural' spellcasters that usually show up in Gothic themes are almost always Druids, since druids are from Europe. Blizz already played that card, and D2 Act III showed that there is a jungle in Sanctuary, it has fetish dolls and strange spirits. Witch Doctor seemed like the place to go. I get it.

It's true WD seems pretty far from home, though. Monk, too. The dialogue makes a lot of sense and I think WD is the wisest and kindest character, so I'm very glad WD is here. But some of the spells are a bit confusing. Zombie dogs? Aren't the zombies the bad guys? Malevolent spirits? I thought I was just killing those. WD definitely blurs the line between hero and villain (stylistically speaking) but so did the Necromancer, so it's not untrodden ground. It seems likely these two classes will always be a bit misunderstood.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I was a bit surprised that there were no jungle act in this game, considering there was a Witch Doctor class in it... He wouldn't have seemed so out of place if there had been some jungle maps for him around, I think...
Reply Quote
Diablo III expansion Act VI: Return to Travincal, Revenge of the High Council
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 04:15 PMPosted by PVStar
Is it because he's black?

Then Tyrael would be out of place too
Reply Quote

It's insane how racist you're being right now; you probably are so enveloped in it that you don't even realize it.

"Normal people think that most civilized areas don't have these kinds of things going on..."

You are flat out saying everyone born in a tropical area is not normal. That only people born outside of tropical areas (presumably white) are viewed as normal.

"...takes place in areas where man hasn't touched. That would be tropical areas where people have darker skin."

Seriously? I don't even know where to begin. Now you are denying those born in tropical areas the right to even be called human. How can that be a area where man hasn't touched if men are living there?

Blizzard clean these forums up. I don't appreciate seeing this sort of racism on the forums.

Okay genius, I am assuming you are a troll, but just in case I will elaborate.

Where in any part of the world do people make shrunken heads?

I am not saying ALL people in tropical areas are strange, I am saying that voodoo is more prevalent in those areas, just as religion is prevalent in other areas.

As for placed man hasn't touched, I am referring to the industrialization of the planet.

I really hope you aren't serious, I already fear enough for our species as it is.

That's nice but that's not what you said. You said people from that region are not civilized. What would make you come to that conclusion? Trust me, I have the same fear of people like you.
Reply Quote
Witch Doctor is awesome. Not only is it a great stray away from the RPG character cliches but it also has some of the greatest skills ever such as Snake To The Face, Zombie Bears, and of course throwing hallucinogenic toads at enemies causing them to not fight you.

Seriously, if you don't like this class you are flawed not the class.

The art for it is great too. You have everything from Snake armor to Stargate armor. It looks awesome.
Reply Quote
What's out of place is the WD speaking of all the darkness and evil of these bad people while raising very unfriendly looking corpses left and right.
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

Lylirra are you single? You just sound so damn cute with your little emotes... lol ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]